Now Facebook hates redheads too!

Q: Why do redheads take the pill?
A: Wishful thinking.

Q: What do you call a good looking man with a redhead?
A: A hostage.

Q: What do you call a redhead with large breasts?
A: A mutant.

Stop me if you’ve heard any of these before, by the way. I discovered them all by chance, last week on Facebook, where I stumble upon a hitherto untapped source of redhead hatred. “Red hair sucks – I’d rather die!” is the name of the group that initially caught my eye, but a quick search revealed dozens of others, including “Redheads are gingers and they have no soul”, “If you have red hair I’m sorry, but we just can’t be friends” and the short but sour “Redheads suck!” Nice.

Of course, I’ve always known that if assholes could fly, the Internet would be an airport, but it was still a little worrying to discover that prejudice is alive, well and thriving on one of the web’s biggest social networking sites. Facebook is going through a bit of a “media’s darling” phase at the moment, but while most people are probably using it to stalk old school friends and play Tetris Tournament when they
should be working (I know I am), others are apparently using it to try and incite hatred towards that much maligned social group – the gingers.

The problem is that there’s no arguing with these people. Believe me, I tried. I sent a message to one of the more offensive posters on the “Red hair sucks” group. “Hmhmhmhmhm,” came back the answer. We’re
clearly dealing with a powerful set of intellects here, which is kind of reassuring: they’ll never prove that we “have no soul” if they can’t even string a coherent sentence together. “Am kind of dumb,” my idiot correspondent admitted in a follow-up message. Well, you said it…

The other problem with all of this, of course, is that if you are a “ginger”, you’re not allowed to be offended by it. To admit to feeling even a little bit hurt by such overt hatred is to admit to having no sense of humour, because most of this drivel – not to mention the teasing and negativity redheads get in real life – tries to masquerade as “humour”. It’s funny, you see? “Geez, lighten up!” they’ll tell you if you so much as raise an eyebrow at the “hilarious” jokes. “Stop taking things personally! You have to be able to laugh at yourself, you
know – especially if you’re a ginger!” Boom boom! I’d imagine blondes probably feel much the same way about the “dumb blonde” jokes that float around: funny, sure – as long as they’re not directed at you.

As “funny” and “lighthearted” as you may believe it is, though, there’s a serious side to it all, too. How many little redheaded girls (and boys) are growing up believing that they’re fundamentally unlovable and ugly, just because of all of these idiotic comments and oh-so-funny “jokes”.

Is it really OK to make fun of a whole sector of society and call it “humour”, I wonder? Or is it only OK when it’s not about you?

(Note: this is actually a column I wrote yesterday for Dollymix, but I figured I’d post it here, too, seeing as this site still gets so many hits from people who’ve Googled phrases like, “If my unborn child turns out to have red hair, can I kill it?” and the like. Asshats.)

• Kiraa says:

I really don’t understand the ‘ginger’-hate because that doesn’t really happen here. Do you even realize how much men love redheads here? You’re a goddess to American men (though, to be fair, I’m sure you are regardless of hair color)!

Being a blonde, I can unequivocally say that I’m not impressed with blonde jokes. Mostly because they aren’t funny, regardless of whether it’s about me personally.

Besides, I’d much rather make fun of people for being stupid than for their genetics. Although, maybe stupid is genetic. Or communicable. Either way.

Yeah, it does seem to be a uniquely British prejudice. *Am proud* And you're right about the stupid people – the whole "redhead hating" thing is a handy tool to help us spot idiots for sure :)

• Stephen says:

I think it's jealousy. Red heads are awesome.

• I love redheads and wish I was one (I've often thought of dyeing my hair, but that doesn't real count, does it?)

When Ophelia was born I was really happy because she was very red, but she's settled into blonde but red in the right light – shame.

• Crystal says:

Hey…come be my friend on facebook! I like red heads…I like anyone.

My URL is: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=562434210

-Crystal.

• Here, here.

I'm not a ginger/red head but my brother is and I know that he feels it affects how people judge him. He always wears hair product to keep it dull and less noticeable. Knowing how it makes him feel makes me more sensitive to when I hear this ridiculous ginger-ism.

Indeed we've often discussed how picking on someone due to the colour of their skin is considered racist but picking on them due to the colour of their hair is just meant to be harmless banter.

Oh, Blondie, it must be hard getting through life without an IQ… I guess you’d probably tell black people that racism is hilarious too? Poor you :)

• RamonaQ says:

I think she must be in the States and ignorant – as was I – as to the nastiness redheads encounter abroad.

You get teased as a ‘carrot top’ when you’re a child here in the States, but there is no stigma to having red hair here – quite the contrary – it’s much an asset. I despised my hair as a child, and didn’t realize how pretty it really is til I was grown.

I stumbled across this site whilst looking for information on redheaded people having no souls/having been killed for it years ago. I had no idea such an odd thing as ginger hate even existed. It’s a pity, and one of the most absurd things I’ve ever heard. I should think they’d come up w/ a way to hate us for our freckles before the colour of our hair. Idiots.

• Blondie says:

Oh no, poor redheads…!
    Stop crying and cheer up with some blonde jokes in stead! maybe you're just whining about it because you think that red hair is ugly yourself?
    if i had thought that all blondes were stupid, including myself, there's a good chance that i'd be offended by blonde jokes too…!

2 suggestions to solve your problem:
    1. colour your hair and act like nothing ever happened
    2. try to understand that it's just a meaningless joke, just like blonde jokes

• Jo says:

Wow you are really a stupid blonde. Sure there are blonde jokes and most blondes don't get them so they don't bother them. It's not that people don't like to have red hair but there are actually hate crimes that happen. Do research and read. Are you going to tell a person of a different race to get over it? Well we get the same treatment. So shut up until you have a clue.

• Charlie says:

LOL at Blondie! How ironic, a totally dumb blonde trying to defend dumb blonde jokes! That has to be the funniest thing I've read in years, especially the bitabout how amber obviously thinks her red hair is ugly!!!

• Emily says:

I'm a redhead and no ones ever said anything about it…even if they did I don't care. I like my hair. It kinda sets me apart from everyone else…only like 2% of people actually have it, so I feel blessed. If anyone said something I'd just be like 'Jealously is such a bad thing' and flip my lovely long red hair right in their face.

• Pazza says:

Man or woman – you're all gorgeous, sexy and unique, IMO! Red hair never fails to amaze me – just think how complex/sophisticated the redhead gene must be!

The same goes for people with very pale blue/violet/vivid green eyes or people with truly black skin – stunning.

Reds rock!

• Carmen says:

I have red hair, but I die mine brown. I get told how attractive I am all the time. I have pretty skin, hot body,and a beautiful face. It’s because of people always saying how “ugly gingers” are drive me to die my hair every month. I don’t think having red hair is ugly, I am just sick of hearing ginger comments.

• Carmen says:

• Anonymous says:

I love your post about redheads! I’m one as well, in America, so although I was made fun of when I was a child, now that I’m an adult it’s constant compliments. I’m kind of indifferent to my red hair (it’s very red, naturally, and I have the freckles to go along with it), but sometimes I cringe when I see my pasty skin! Yet still that doesn’t bother me very much…I’ve just kept in great shape and paired myself with a man who adores me. Your red hair is beautiful, by the way! :-)

• Xx0xX says:

Wow, that’s crazy.Even if this is months too late, I’ve always loved the idea of red hair-it has so much character (and looks great!).
    For the folks that, for some insane reason, find ‘gingers’ ugly : get a life!

• Xx0xX says:

For the folks that, for some insane reason, find ‘gingers’ ugly : get a life!

• Xx0xX says:

For the folks that, for some insane reason, find ‘gingers’ ugly : get a life!

• Xx0xX says:

Wow, that's crazy.Even if this is months too late, I've always loved the idea of red hair-it has so much character (and looks great!).
    For the folks that, for some insane reason, find 'gingers' ugly : get a life!

• Xx0xX says:

For the folks that, for some insane reason, find 'gingers' ugly : get a life!

• anya says:

I think gingers are so ugly. I have turned down dates with ginger men as they are so disgusting. I did get set up on a blind date once, he was ginger but I thought I would see how the date went. Halfway through I left as he was just to ugly to look at and he wanted to touch me. Vile. Ugly ugly gingers.

• Ricki says:

Personally I am more into dark haired boys, but my bofriend is a redhead and he has the cute freckles and golden red hair .. in the sun it is stunning .. Stop hating people for their hair color!

/Ricki

• Megan says:

I have always had bright red hair and am very happy with it. Being a redhead is a major part of who I am, it defines me. I got teased in elementary school but never becaue of my hair. Actually, I don't think i've gone one solid week of my life without getting a compliment on my hair color. It's my favorite physical characteristic about myself and I would not dye my hair for anything! I feel very very lucky to be a part of such a small group of people in the world and there is definitely something to be said about being unique! I find that men (at least in America) LOVE redheads. I don't understand why there aren't more famous redheads!!! I'm talking REAL red, like Julianne Moore…not barely red strawberry/blond. =D

• Jungle says:

anya ..there is nothing much to say to you except you sound like you have a few issues. Maybe you and proud dumb blondie should get together and discuss your dumb thoughts.

• Gill says:

Damn….this weird redhead thing. I am one, but without the freckles. I live in Africa. You can imagine….

One ex – housemate suggested that I should dye my hair as other women hate me for it and guys will forever see me in a purely sexual/fetish light. Ai ai. Pretty rude …but I must say that she had a point. I chose to ignore that point.It's not the same kind of Gingerism that I hear goes on in the UK , but is equally frustrating.

I like Tom Robbin's take on the whole thing.

"Redheaded women! Those blood oranges! Those cherry bombs! Those celestial shrews and queens of copper! May they never cease to stain our white-bread lives with super-natural catsup. "

• Natalie says:

Ive never been teased about my red hair, i absolutly love and wouldnt change it forever as if i had a different colour i wouldnt be me.

And for those people who take the mic, there just basically jealous idiots

• Becki says:

I'm a redhead with large breasts and I really am a mutant – but the strong, fiery kind of mutant who always gets told how beautiful her hair is and always gets asked out on dates by gorgeous man-hunks in bars :P

And I love red haired men in particular – I once saw a man on the street who had long, straight deep-red hair almost down to his elbows and the most beautiful pale skin and freckles. Ever since I saw him, I've thought red hair was the sexiest thing ever.

• KENNETH says:

I LOVE REDHEADS THEY ARE SEXY AND SMART AND FUN TO BE AROUND WITH

I LOVE REDHEADS.

• Dude says:

I have a red head girlfriend but her hair isn’t bright orange, Her hair has this really beautiful dark tone to it and Then when were outside in the Sun her hair is so amazing and Shiny, She has really long curly hair down to the bottom of her back and It is so curly and Long I just can’t stop touching it all the time and running my fingers through her hair and No I am NOT Gay lol, Guys are always staring at her and There always trying to flirt with her and She tells them to Stuff Off!! Lolz!! xD But yeah I love it. It’s when they have bright orange hair then it looks kinda fake but I LOVE her hair ;)

She said when she was younger all throughout School she was picked on, “Ginga” Was the main one she got, She said “People didn’t even care to see if I was a nice person or not. It was just I am a red head so I was to ugly to be invited to my own friends birthday parties and Everything, Even guys made fun of me. Until I left School, Once I was out of School the looks were completely different and Guys and Women were always complimenting me on my hair. I don’t get made fun of anymore, Once it turned into this nice dark sort of colour” She got rid of her so called best friend. Because not seeing her in months her friend comes over and Says something like, At least I’m not a stupid Ginga, I thought some friend you are and My girlfriend said My hair isn’t ginga anymore you idiot!.” She isn’t even ginger, Really she is Strawberry Blond and It’s so beautiful, I LOVE Her Hair!!

Another thing is that All Red Head woman are apparently psycho? My girlfriend isn’t, She is the most adorable and Sweet person in the whole entire universe, It’s usually just retarded little teenagers with insecurities of there own that make fun of Red Heads and Judge them, Usually they are going through some bad stuff and Use that as an excuse to make fun of Red Heads JUST Because everyone else does aswell. There usually the ones that make the stupid groups, If an Adult is saying awful things about Children with Ginger hair then that’s just ignorant and Cruel. If they do it towards other adults then it’s just childish and Immature. Really it’s just plain stupid and Ignorant, and When people leave comments saying Red Heads need to get over it? Especially that Blond girl, Because of the stereotypes, Guys and Girls most of them think Blonds are stupid with Big Boobs, It’s the main reason guys get with Blond’s not because your smart or beautiful or Unique, I don’t get into stereotypes though, It’s just ignorance.

• Katie says:

I have brown hair but i would love sooooo much to have flame red hair. I think red hair is the most beautiful by far. I’m a teenager from England and there are some redheaded girls in my class and they don’t get teased because why would you tease someone because they have awesome hair duh? It’s really noticeable as well which is really good because people remember you and you make a lasting impression. If there’s anyone out there being mean to you because you’re ginger, ask them why they’re picking on you because they like your hair then laugh in their faces. Thing is they’re probably so dumb they won’t get it anyway…..

I am an avid author and guess what colour hair all of my main characters have????

thank you for this wonderful site xoxoxox