The Great Mofo Delurk 2007

The Great Mofo Delurk 2007

Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? See, I know it is, but I also know that there are lots of you out there who like to lurk and not comment – hell, sometimes I like to do that myself – which is why I’m taking part in The Great Mofo Delurk of 2007.

I would write a huge long entry here about how each and every one of you readers is valued, and how I read and appreciate every single one of your comments, even although I don’t always get the time to respond to them all (Typepad is kinda sucky with comments because it doesn’t really let you reply to each individual one. Also: I’m kinda sucky with comments too. Yeah.) but I totally stole this idea from Alyndabear, and she already wrote that entry so, you know, go read hers instead.

Anyway! Hi, lurkers!  Let’s all have a group hug! Pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, introduce yourself. Or just leave a comment to say hi, and we’ll all say "hi!" back and then the world will totally be a better place. Or something. And those of you who aren’t lurkers? Feel free to join in…

Edited to add: I’m going to make this easier on you by asking a question which you can answer in the comments. The question is: what was the last book you read. Recommend me something – I’m running out of reading here…

• Kristabella says:

Well, I don't like to be a Mofo.

So hiya! Even though I have commented before. I don't do it enough!

• Katie says:

Hello!!!

• Hello! We really must get that coffee one day.. I've got loads of time on my hands now!

• Janssen says:

Hooray! I'm making the world a better place!

• Elisabeth says:

I don't know if I still count as a lurker, having already left a comment (yesterday – dodged a bullet there, 'ey?), but still.

Last books I read were Nick Hornby's 'The Polysyllabic Spree' (lovely essay collection about books and reading – highly recommended!), Richard Dawkins' 'The God Delusion' (very interesting, but possibly not the best bed-time reading), Dickens' 'Tale of Two Cities' (does that guy still need recommending?) and Anna Davis' 'The Shoe Queen' (slightly vacuous but surprisingly well-written, and I couldn't not read something with that title).

Looking forward to your next post, as always!

• Hayley says:

I suppose I'm not technically a lurker any longer since I've been commenting lately, but hi!

• Caroline says:

Helloooo! I'm in the middle of the novel "Wicked" which I'm enjoying lots! And also Mrs. Tinnes Wardrobe, which is a one evening read with fab pics. It was a birthday presesnt and is reviewed in my blog!

• Stephen says:

I can 'do you a solid', and recommend a book to stay the hell away from.

Y'know Belle du Jour? Y'know how she's got a couple of, well, blog-entry collections out there?

Well, they're good. Read 'em.

"Confessions of a Working Girl", by 'Miss S', on the other hand, is a steaming pile of shit, written by someone who is either still in high school, or still should be. Bad bad bad. So bad, I couldn't finish it. And that never happens.

Oh, and "The Gum Thief"? Damn. It's like "Girlfriend In A Coma" has been erased from the world….

• Erin says:

Damn, I always miss these things by days… (or five minutes, as the case may be, as I’m 9 hours ahead of you), but:

Last book I read (which I read in its entirety yesterday) was Agatha Christie’s ‘Appointment with Death’. Tres bien, mon ami! (Yep, it’s a Poirot)

x

• alyndabear says:

Hapy Delurking Day!

Hrmm.. the last book I read was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I adore that book, even if it goes a little deep sometimes. But I'm a history nerd, so it's worth it!

• Kerry says:

I really love the author Barbara Kingsolver.
    I love The Bean Trees, and The Poisonwood Bible, but especially The Prodigal Summer.

P.S. I like your blog

• Milly says:

Hey Amber. Here's another comment to prove that you're not writing into a vacuum. I'm currently reading 'the undercover economist' and 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance', but I have yet to complete either. Zen has been uncompleted for about 2 years now, which I think says more than I would like to admit about my capacity for deep and meaningful thought.

• Kate says:

Hi Amber,

I've commented a couple of times and will comment more when I have abit more time – typepad is a bit rubbish, as is my computer, not a good combination!

I just finished "Everything is Illuminated" which was good, but very confusing. One I loved was my holiday read "Marley and Me" which is a tue story of man's best friend and made me laugh so hard on the plane that people looked at me funny. Also made me cry so hard my boyfirnd was concerned I'd hurt myself. Amazing book.

Hi everyone! *waves* Thanks for commenting, and for all the book recommendations. Will add them to my list today.

And I know there are still more of you out there lurking, so it's not too late to say hi :)

• Jeff says:

Hi, Amber. I’m definitely a Mofo Lurker. I somehow stumbled onto your LJ blog (I’m waiting for a transplant), and “lurk” here.

• Jenny says:

I'm behind as usual. The last book I read was Thackeray's 'Vanity Fair'. I wanted something a bit different and really enjoyed it. (Though it took me forever as I'm a really slow reader.) I've just started Pat Barkers 'Life Class' which is promising to be a really good read.

• diane says:

I recommend The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman, Innocence by Kathleen Tessaro, Home by Julie Myerson and (another vote for) The Complete Polysyllabic Spree.

And I *loved* There's a (Slight) Chance I Might be Going to Hell by Laurie Notaro…

Does it matter that I'm a day late?!

• Fashiongeek says:

I read your stuff all the time, and I'm equally disappointed when you go days without writing anything (hint, hint).
    I'm currently reading Jaqueline Carey's "Kushiel's Scion" (part 4 of a series, I think). Good stuff if you like your literature on the fantastical side. Full of intrigues, dark desires and interesting characters.

Before that, I read – and liked- Neil Gaiman's collection of short stories, "Fragile Things". Reading it is a bit like being tied to a rollercoaster. It will challenge, amuse and bewilder you. And sometimes make you a bit nauseous.

• lape says:

I guess I'm one of the guilty ones. I read your blog all the time but never comment. I did send you an email once though so I guess that's almost the same thing. Last book I read was 'The Road Less Travelled' by M. Scott Peck. I feel like I'm the last person on earth to read it but I came across the book at someone's office and remembered that Bridget Jones went on about it in her diary so I had to read it. Can you tell that Bridget Jones' Diary is one of my favourite books ever? :-)

• Stephanie says:

I never have commented but I’m always lurking since you’re really funny :]

I’m reading the “Outlander” series by Diana Gaboldon.

It’s about a female nurse from 1945 who travels back into 18th Century Scotland (1745 I believe) and runs into highland scottishmen.

It’s very funny and romantic and makes me want to marry a scottishman. Who wears a kilt. And nothing else.

• Kristen says:

Hello! Another lurker here, though my two Bichons did email Rubin once (they're huge fans of his). Am very much enjoying your blog and have two older, but good recommendations for fluffy reading. I second Diane's recommendation of Laurie Notaro, and my favorite is her first book, 'The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club', a collection of hilarious essays. Second, a book I read last year that has reached hit status in the states over the past year, 'Eat, Pray, Love' by Elizabeth Gilbert. This is the story of a woman who leaves her marriage and subsequent relationship to go find herself by spending a few months in Rome (eating), India (praying) and Indonesia (finding love). Ahh…such a nice fantasy to tide us through the cold winter months.

• Karina says:

Hi. very new reader and the last thing I read was Jonothan Livingston Seagull, and I'd suggest it. 'twas fairly amazing. Right now I'm in the middle of For Whom the Bell Tolls, which is also amazing, though markedly more intense.

• david says:

Happy de-lurking.

Last book was a biography of Laurie Lee by Valerie Grove. Great book, giving an insight into the author of Cider With Rosie and so much more. Yeah for Perth and Kinross library sales!

Enjoy your blog, and also Rubinman's blog.

• Laura says:

Hello! I'll de-lurk myself, and just to say that I love reading your blog(s)!

The last book I read was Atonement by Ian McEwan, which I have to admit to finding rather dull. The last book I enjoyed was Me:Moir, Vic Reeve's autobiog, which made me laugh. A lot. I have a low-brow taste in books (amongst other things) although am an English literature student which makes that even worse!

• emmao414 says:

Sorry, also late, but i'm a mofo, i do apologise, but everytime i try to comment on loads and loads of sites, it just wont let me!! so i've given up trying. Heres hoping this one goes up.

Also, I dont wanna look like another stalker… facebook, shiny, here… I dont like to scare you lol!!

last book I read was the other side of the story but a lovely Irish lady called Marian Keyes. Its writen in 3 different persons opinions, and about the effects the seemingly unrelated ladies have on each others lives. Written in simple language, it was a fun, easy to read book, like listening to your mates chatting about their day. I highly reccommend it.

I wont be a mofo anymore!!

• emma says:

hey amber!

hope it's never too late to de-lurk:)

i'm one of those heap-under-bed readers and i cannot totally remember every book i started to read and just put aside in last couple of months. however, the last i proudly finished was (tadaam!) the great mary poppins:)

redheads rulz btw,
    em.

• e amber says:

oh my, not only am i a lurker but i'm days late as well! i've not idea how i stumbled across you but i've been following you for a few months now… not only do you have fantastic taste in shoes, but we redheaded ambers (middle name in my case) have to stick together. speaking of which, i strongly recommend that you read "no one belongs here more than you" by the very fabulous (redheaded?!) miranda july. they're short stories, but each and every one is a small bit of heaven.

cheers!
    elizabeth

• Amy says:

I just discovered your blog yesterday (actually "Hey, Dollface!") and am hooked (and really want to go to Sephora). I am also a paler shade of white, live in Seattle, WA, USA, and am a graduate student.

The last book I read wasn't very good, so the last GOOD book I read was The Old Wine Shades by Martha Grimes.

• Jen says:

It’s probably a bit late for this (archive reader 9/2/2011) but hi! The last book I read was hair cutting for dummmies. It was the most complicated book I have ever read.