House project: going suspiciously smoothly

Now, I realise I’ve probably just jinxed not only our current "redecorating the house/making our lives temporarily unbearable" project, but all of the future ones we embark upon too, with the use of the above headline, but seriously, we’re good. So far. I mean, I realise most of you probably expected Terry and I to drop through the floor, or blow the roof off or something like that in our continuing quest to own a House that Doesn’t Suck, but really, we’re totally blase about this now. It’s like, "Kitchen sink in the living room? What kitchen sink in the livingroom? Be careful you don’t trip over the cooker in the hall on your way out, now!"

That’s not to say that the kitchen sink ISN’T still in the livingroom, obviously, because, well, it is. And the cooker, actually. But the upper level of the house now has a complete set of new floors, and we didn’t even break anything to get them:

New_floors

I’m now pretty much living upstairs full time, like some kind of mad old hermit lady, venturing downstairs only to watch Neighbours and go to the gym, and actually, not really to go to the gym because… meh. After that whole "running for 49 minutes and then almost dying" stunt, I kinda lost my mojo a bit. OK, a lot. There’s only so much time you can spend running on the spot before you suddenly realise that hey, this is actually pretty damn boring, and it would appear that, for me, that time was 49 minutes. And two seconds.

Anyway, Terry is downstairs banging at the kitchen ceiling with one of my old hairbrushes (I wish I was joking about that, but I’m not) so I must go and investigate. Wish me luck…

• Steph says:

Good luck!
    I totally feel your pain. The last house we lived in was something of a work in progress, so it was like living in a bomb site, with plaster and planks of wood everywhere. I had to camp in my sister's bedroom for a year while my dad effectively built my bedroom. We've just moved into a new (and thankfully whole) house but despite being here for almost six months, still have boxes everywhere. One day, I will live in a beautifully pristine house with *nothing* anywhere…

• Anonymous says:

Hahahaha *cackles evilly*

You just wait til the kitchen installation begins. I know of what I speak!

BTW I have been making Rubin famous at work – he is possibly the best know dog in Unilever at the moment!

Wendy

• Oh no. You typed it out loud! There are just some bells you can't un-ring. Regardless of that, I wish you the best of luck!! :)

• Kristabella says:

Pretty floors!

And also 49 minutes is a damn eternity. I think you're set for years.

• Kat says:

You ran for 49 minutes? No wonder you lost your Mojo. As for your floors they look great. Still remember how awful the remodelling of our apartment was so I feel your pain.

P.S. I am now left curious as to why Terry was banging the kitchen ceiling with your old hairbrush.

• Terry says:

Well let me answer that question Kat :)

I had to do some repair work on the artex ceiling in the Kitchen. The pattern that needs to repeated to fill the gaps is called stipple. I checked online to see how to do the pattern and the tool used looked suspiciously like one of Amber's old hair brushes. I could have went to B&Q to buy the tool but I decided to permanently borrow the hair brush instead, muahahah :)

• Hayley says:

Nice new floor!

I'm with you on the gym thing…I went yesterday, and the only elliptical I had used was taken. Then, the one I used started making weird sounds. Finally the last one I tried had a horrendous resistance level, even though it said it was on the lowest. I gave up after five minutes.