Their Parents Must Be So Proud

Today Terry and I didn’t have time to go to the gym, so I decided to do my bit for the ol’ waistline by going out for a run around the streets of the neighbourhood.

Within ten minutes of leaving the house I was invited to “get my boobies out”. About thirty seconds later I was called a “ho” (No, I didn’t obey the first command, in case you’re wondering if that was why…). And OK, both of these comments came from pre-teens, but seriously: the fact that I can’t even go for a walk run within a few hundred metres of my own front door without being verbally abused by kids who clearly aren’t mature enough to be allowed out in public without a minder is pretty disgusting to me. Seriously.

On the plus side, though, at least I can give up running now.

• The so-called "pleasant" suburb I grew up in was the same. Teens presumably bored out of their minds often hollered things out of car windows. Although we could never make out what it was they were saying, I know it couldn't have been classy.

• Stephen says:

Damn. Y'know, I didn't think your neighbourhood was so bad. It seems nice when I drive past it!

• Amy says:

My wife and I went for a walk yesterday evening. We were holding hands and two boys on cycled by and one of them shouted, 'lesbians'. It was news to us! We never would have known if he hadn't told us.

• Terry says:

Maybe it was Santa you heard on your run Amber? You must have been running so fast he only got in the first ho…… :P

• Carrie says:

I run with my music turned up loud, shut out the world and pretend there’s only me. It’s the only way to not feel a total idiot I find.

• Carrie says:

I run with my music turned up loud, shut out the world and pretend there's only me. It's the only way to not feel a total idiot I find.

• Diana says:

I can´t believe that this happens there. I mean, that happens here too (Ecuador) and not just lazy bad-behave brats do that, but MEN; a woman can not walk alone cause she will be bothered for sure in some ways.

• Why do people yell those things out? Do some women actually say "OK, I'll show you my boobies. And then we'll get married and we can tell our grandchildren how we on a street corner and you shouted inappropriate things at me."