Not So Good to Be Back

Yeah, I’m still depressed.

I mean, look at the weather forecast for this week:

Weather

Now, clearly this only takes us up to Thursday, but for the rest of the week/summer I’m going to go out on a limb and guess 14 – 15 degrees. And raining.

This is depressing. Being back home? Depressing. Not knowing when I’ll next see the sun? Also depressing.

Anyway, I’ve thought about this a lot over the past few days, and have come up with a cunning plan, which is as follows:

Stage 1: Find way to make lots of money.

Stage 2:  Make lots of money.

Stage 3: Buy house in Florida. With all the money.

Obviously this plan needs a bit of fleshing out – particularly stage 1 – but I’ll get round to that, really. In the meantime, I’m stuck back at home, slowly working my way through all of the idiot comments and messages people decided to send me while I was gone. I knew this would happen. I knew that as soon as I tried to take a break, the readers of my blogs would be all, "Hey, Amber took her eye off the ball! Let’s act like assholes!" but it’s depressing all the same. A bit like the weather, you know?

Take this message, for instance, which came to me from a person known only as anyas@yahoo.co.uk. Anyas had these enlightening thoughts to share with me:

"I think gingers are so ugly. I have turned down dates with ginger men as they are so disgusting. I did get set up on a blind date once, he was ginger but I thought I would see how the date went. Halfway through I left as he was just to ugly to look at and he wanted to touch me. Vile. Ugly ugly gingers."

Umm, yeah. Thanks for that, Anyas! And I’m sure you’re every bit as beautiful on the outside as you obviously are on the inside, which leaves you really well qualified to talk about other people like this! < /sarcasm>

This is the kind of intellect I’m dealing with here, folks. It makes me wish there was some kind of IQ test people had to pass before they were allowed to use the Internet, but sadly, no.

There was also the guy who wrote to me asking for a job as a writer, and typed his entire email in lower case. Because that’s what professional writers do, you know? Gah.

It hasn’t been all bad news, though. I mean, it’s been mostly bad news, but I also returned home to this new toy:

New_phone

It’s a phone that looks like a little dog, OMG! No, it’s the Samsung SGH-F480. Samsung sent it to me to review because… no, I give up, I have no idea why. But I’m very glad they did though, because I heart it. It has a touch screen like the iPhone, and I wasn’t sure how well I’d get on with that, but I actually really like it, and so far it’s easy enough for even me to use. I mostly love it, though, because not long after I got it working, Terry disappeared with it into the other room, and now my morning wake-up alarm features Rubin’s voice (yes, Rubin has a voice. D’uh!) shouting, "AMBLA! IT’S TIME TO GET UP!" And when Terry calls me? Rubins’s voice shouts out "RING RING! RING RING!" My last phone just didn’t do that.

I’m not sure what else Terry’s done to this phone, but I totally wouldn’t be surprised if I’m standing in the supermarket or somewhere one day and Rubin’s voice shouts, "AMBLA! I NEED A PEE!" from my bag. Ya gotta love that, no?

• Fi says:

Aww, how cute is Terry?!
    Everyone gets post-holiday blues. At least you didn't have to get up early and struggle through the rush hour traffic to an office.

• Danielle says:

How cute!! I love your ring tone and alarm clock :D

And seriously, people need to give up that nonsense with the gingers. I think you're beautiful, Amber, and it's not just because I'm being nice. I honestly think that you're beautiful, hair and all.

• emmao414 says:

You need a PA to sort out all the crap emails for you. Like in SATC. I could be your Jennifer Hudson, if you buy me a LV ;~)

its a very nice phone, do you get to keep it?

• Caroline says:

Grrrrrr, that makes me so mad! (The ginger stuff, not the Rubin/Terry cute stuff.) It really does! I mean, I know I have reason to think gingers are beautiful (like being one, coming from a family full of them, fancying men with red hair… yeah, all that stuff) but I think even if I didn't I'd still think it. All those flame-haired heroines of the books of my youth sorted that one. Mariella from Sadlers Wells, for example (AND she was a ballerina to boot!) and this blog's namesake. Oh, and my nan, with her perfectly coiffed auburn beehive. Honestly, it was amazing!

What's with all the hate people? As my mother would say, they're just jealous.

• I was thinking about maybe getting that phone. Glad to hear you like it. And also, what is a ginger? Like the character from Gilligan's Island?

• For what it's worth, I wish to God I could pull off red hair. I tried it for a few months in fact, and unfortunately all of my wishing did not make a reality. I do think that red hair is categorically beautiful, and so much more interesting than my totally run of the mill blonde (for which I pay a great deal of money, of course).

Also, sitting hear giggling at the thought of your phone shouting out that it needs a pee. Brilliant!

• Kat says:

Some people are eejits. Seriously who in their right mind would write something this revolting? You're stunningly beautiful so don't let them get you down.

I can send some sunshine up from Germany. We're dying here. All the herbs on my windowsill look as though they're about to perish.

Post holiday blues is very common. Lots of people suffer from it. Glad Terry and Rubin managed to cheer you up.

• Louise says:

*wonders can I make my iPhone do that cool stuff, I don't think so* …….. now I will slink off and feel depressed :(

• Sneeze says:

You know, that's strange.All the ginger-hating,I mean.Because I've always wished I was one.Mostly since it's generally associated with fiery, passionate character but even otherwise, I personally think it gorgeous.And I'm not just being nice, either.I'm almost done with a little holiday of my own and have a bad,bad case of the blues.Help me.Post!
    My love to Rubin.

• Melissa says:

People are so stupid. My mom is a natural red-head. I'm super pale and dyed mine red and have gotten hit on more as a red-head than any other color I've had. Plus, you are so pretty. I was just thinking how great you looked in all your Florida pictures.