The only good thing about winter: the shopping

Hey, fellow UK residents, remember “summer”? It was this hot, sunny thing we used to get, long, long ago? No? Not ringing a bell? I think I can just about remember it if I try really hard, but the memories are fading. Actually, I’m pretty sure that at some point in the future, when we talk to kids born in the UK in the 21st century about “summer”, they’ll just laugh at us and call us rude names, because it’ll totally sound like we’re remembering some ancient, possibly mythical thing. Like unicorns, maybe. Or the black Michael Jackson.

Which sucks, really.

Anyway, last week, I started receiving press releases telling me that now that summer is almost over, it’s time for me to start thinking about Halloween and – oh God – Christmas. Christmas. And I REFUSE to start thinking about these things. I WILL NOT, and they can’t make me. But I will indulge the senders of these doom-laden press releases (“NEWS FLASH: TIME MOVES ON! WHOOO, SCARY!”) by buying myself some new coats for Autumn. Just, you know, to be prepared, and not AT ALL because I’m a shopaholic who just can’t seem to stop herself, seriously.

(Yeah, this is another entry about my clothes, by the way. Sorry about that. I AM a fashion blogger, though, so I guess it is to be expected…)

In preparation for the approaching Autumn (BOO! HISS!) I have bought, not one, but two new coats. Which makes me happy. Not as happy as it would make me if someone figured out a way to reverse time and make it so that summer actually happened this year, but happy none the less. Here is the first one, which – shockhorror! – is not black:

Tench

Obviously, with this coat – in fact, with both of them – I’m going to have to either pretend we live in a warmer climate than we actually do, or just accept that it’ll be too cold to wear it without multiple layers underneath by mid-October. But look! Swirly skirt!

Beige_trench

Here is the second coat, which IS black. Because I cannot seem to stop myself buying this stuff.

Blackcoat

The photos don’t do this coat justice at all, because it’s too dark to see the details… Anyway, it’s a rainproof material, and it has these cute little puffy shoulders and a big stand up collar, which I like, because it makes me feel a bit like Elizabeth I, and I’m all about the drama. (“No!” I hear you exclaim in amazement…)

Clearly, this year’s theme is big, swishy skirts with pockets cut into the seams, and standy-up collars. Which is fun, you know, but not nearly as much fun as SUMMER would have been. I miss it. I miss it so, so much. Today, when I was out mowing the lawn (fun factor: 0) I realised we haven’t had our wooden picnic table and chairs, which we got for our wedding, out AT ALL this year. Last year we got it out once, but it rained that day, so it doesn’t really count. And then it rained for the next two months. Annoying!

At least I’m prepared on the coat front, though. Whew!

• Jules says:

Love both those coats. Please tell us where they are from, pretty please oh kind blogger!

• Nickoli says:

That not black one is really nice.

• Carrie says:

Hey Amber!
    I love, love, LOVE the 2nd coat. Please tell us where it’s from! It’s darling. As for the summer, I would gladly swap with you :) It got up to 108f in Dallas last weekend (which I think is 42c for ya’ll) it’s sooo miserable, I basically want to die. But hearing about cooler weather and sassy coats makes me feel loads better! Here’s to Christmas! :)

• Amanda says:

I loooove the black one! I feel for you on buying black thing. Sometimes I spice it up with some grey.

And here in Vancouver, summer has actually decided to return for a (most likely) short encore. Although now that I've written this, clouds will soon encroaching on my apartment.

• Terry says:

You have a fine figure young lady, I think any coat would look great on you :)

Husband

• K-Line says:

Terry seems like a delightful sort of husband!

For those who asked, the beige trench was from eBay, I’m afraid, and the black one was a TK Maxx find. The label inside says “Chic Unique”, if that’s any help…

@ Carrie – I would totally swap with you! The whole “perma-winter” thing is really, really old now!

@ Erin – hee! The beige one is definitely a Nancy Drew purchase!

@ Terry and @ K-Line – he is indeed very delightful!

• Erin says:

Gah! Love! Must. Get. To. UK. SOON! FOR COATS! (Tix likely to be purchased… GASP! IN NEXT FEW WEEKS!!!).

Swirly trench TOTALLY Nancy Drew ;)

(No, I'm not on drugs. But I'm in a small town this week, with nothing to do and these coats are the most exciting thing that's happened to me all week!!)

• Fi says:

LOVE both of those! I have a new coat to wear this winter – also from eBay. I feel I may need another one though…

What I love most about those photos is the fact that you changed shoes to match the coats! As a complete shoe-aholic, I am most impressed.

• Miriam says:

Wow! I love both of them. I love new coats :)

• I love them!

I have the same problem with trench coats in Chicago. I think there are about 3 days a year where the weather is OK to wear them and you don't freeze your arse off.

• Molly says:

You look like a model!

Now tell me where I can get that black coat :)

• Marjie says:

I’m with you on the retailers pushing summer out the door while it’s only halfway gone. I won’t even talk about Halloween until October 1, Thanksgiving until November 1 (it’s the 4th Thursday in November, and basically a great excuse to invite friends and family to stuff their faces, and you don’t have to give anyone presents). And if you mention Christmas before the day after Thanksgiving, you’re likely to get smacked!

But I do like a pretty coat, and both of those qualify.

• Amy says: