Things I Have Not Being Doing Recently

Well, that was an unexpectedly long break from the blawg, wasn’t it? And once again, while I’d love to say that my absence has made your hearts grow fonder been the result of various exciting events in my life, the truth is that I’ve been doing a whole lot of nothing. Here are some of the things I have NOT been doing this week:

1. Not Watching the Olympics

No, I have not been watching the Olympics. Because I just don’t care about the Olympics. I know! Shocking, isn’t it? I know from my friends at Twitter that I’m not quite the ONLY person in the world who struggles to give a damn about sports, but sometimes? Sometimes it really feels like I am.

I can’t help it, though: sport just bores me rigid. Or most of it does, anyway. I like the equestrian stuff. And the ice skating. Oh, and that gymnastics thing where they throw a ball and a ribbon around for a while. That’s pretty cool. In fact, when I was a kid, I used to harbour dreams of one day actually turning into my own version of International Velvet and competing in the Olympics myself, as an ace showjumper. (I wasn’t quite deluded enough even then to think I’d ever be able to do the ball-and-ribbon-thing, or the ice skating, but I was quietly convinced that one day roller skating would be an Olympic sport, and that’s when I would show everyone what I was made of. Only it turned out I wasn’t so great at that either, and that’s when I decided to turn to blogging instead. If blogging is ever an Olympic sport, I am totally there…)

Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, the Olympics. Not watching it. Not caring. Am bad person. And I should probably point out before people shout at me that I have the utmost respect for the various athletes and what they do, because God knows, it’s all I can do to get out of bed some mornings. I just don’t have any interest in watching them do it. Or in hearing people talk about it incessantly. Sucks to be me, doesn’t it?

2. Not watching The Dark Knight, Mamma Mia or Wall-E

Now, I’m pretty sure I AM the only person in the world who is not currently obsessed with one of these movies. Because I can’t seem to exist for even a few hours at a time right now without hearing someone’s account of how they had a near-religious experience while watching The Dark Knight, or being asked whether I’ve seen Mamma Mia yet. And I probably will see Mamma Mia at some point (the other two are like the Olympics to me), possibly years from now, when everyone else has long-since forgotten it, and that’s when I will walk around sounding really old and tragic and out of touch, because that’s what I do.

For some reason, I never seem to latch onto bandwagons until they’re over. It’s not a deliberate thing. It’s not like I watch obscure, subtitled French films instead, and enjoy feeling all smug and superior about it, because I definitely don’t. No, it’s just that I seem to lack the "being interested in really popular things" gene. Like, totally. I mean, most of the time I don’t have a CLUE what you crazy kids are talking about. This is why I spend most of my time at parties standing around awkwardly shifting from foot to foot while people go, "Have you seen X yet? Well, have you seen Y? Have you been watching the Olympics?" Note to self: get out more.

3. Not going to the gym

Yes, the gym and I parted ways several weeks ago now. It was very sudden. One minute Terry and I were taking classes three times a week, and were all, "Ra! Ra! The Gym!" and then the next? Not so much. And by that I mean "not at all". I don’t even know WHY this happened, all I know is that we’ve booked several classes and then, when the alarm has gone off in the morning, we’ve just switched it off and gone back to sleep. When will we go back? Where is my motivation? Why can’t I seem to just get off my ass and GO TO THE GYM ALREADY? Because I really can’t. On the plus side, I have been going running. Just not very far. Or very fast. Or for very long. Another note to self: just go to the freaking gym already. Seriously.

4. Not booking a holiday

In fairness, I hadn’t intended to book a winter holiday until much nearer the time, but seriously, it’s more or less ALL I’ve thought of this week, and that would be because IT HAS NOT STOPPED RAINING. At all. I have run in the rain. I have walked the dog in the rain. I have had ENOUGH of the freaking rain. And I’m not going to even try and explain how much this is depressing me right now, because I know you’ll all just comment and say, "Oh, you should be grateful it’s not warm and sunny right now, because that would suck!" and those kind of comments would probably push me over the edge.

So I took up the search for a winter break with a huge amount of enthusiasm. And then slowly I realised that all of the places I wanted to go are too expensive, and that I will only get to visit them this winter if it turns out there actually is a money tree, and I get to shake it first. Turns out those two weeks in Florida in June really were the only sunshine/warmth on offer this year. Wah!

On a brighter note, though:

Fluff

Got Fluff? Because I sure have. Terry got it for me from the Internet, which meant that this afternoon there was a knock on the door and I got to take delivery of a big box o’fluff. Yay Terry!

• Hayley says:

I used to do that whole thing with the ball and ribbon, rhythmics. I was even on a competing team. But it really was too much with practice three nights a week for 3 hours a night, plus an hour tacked onto that for mandatory ballet practice. I've always thought that I could maybe be in the Olympics for shooting or archery. Never mind that I shake on occasion like an old man with Parkinson's.

As for the movies, I haven't seen any of them either. This is heresy to my friends, especially the one that is obsessed with and occasionally claims to be Batman. I do intend to watch them, but I am unconcerned with the timing.

Nice fluff, by the way.

• Stephen says:

You're wrong about The Dark Knight. Wrong wrong wrong. Trust me.

As for the weather – sheeesh. Frickin' miserable.

On the bright side, I'm working from home tomorrow, so I get to avoid it all for a day.

• Hank says:

I just have a big "me too" on those: I haven't watched the Olympics, I haven't seen Dark Knight, Wall-E, or Mamma Mia, no gym, no holiday, and I love Fluff.

I know we're not twins separated at birth because you look nothing like me.

• Mags says:

You've made my day – I no longer feel alone and ostracised for my non-watching of the Olympics! Please don't kick me out of the clubhouse though for watching The Dark Knight…

• Amanda says:

Oh man. Am I glad to hear this. I just went to Dark Knight last night sheerly for the fact that I was sick of hearing about people having orgasms in the theatre, and I have to say: I still like Jack Nicholson better. I mean, c'mon! He's the ORIGINAL Joker, with nothing but a foppish dandy from the original TV series to go on, while Ledger had JACK NICHOLSON. Psh. Kids.

Also, I had never followed the Olympics in my life. Funnily enough, I got a gig writing Olympic updates for a mobile application, and now I'm scouring the Internet for news. Note: I still do not watch it on TV, nor do I care at all.

• Nina says:

Yeah, I don't care about the Olympics as well. First reason: It's sports. Second reason: It's sports on TV. Third reason: Everybody's doped like hell, so it's not about athletic achievements but rather about the best medication; and this is nothing I'm interested in AT ALL. And did I mention that it was sports? On TV?

• david says:

It has been raining so much here that we now have water coming down the inside of the wire from the TV aerial on the roof. Not funny, and makes for bad TV reception. And bad tempers when the terrestial picture is like looking through a snowstorm, and the digital just keeps stopping and bits of the picture drop out.

Our wheelbarrow bought last Monday is now almost full of rainwater.

• Kat says:

I decided not to watch the Olympics because I could care less about which nation has the best pharmacists.

About these movies…neither of them seem interesting. At all. And to be honest everyone wants to see Dark Knight because of Heath Ledger. Totally ridiculous.

• Steph says:

I haven't been doing any of the above either.
    Well, I've watched the gymnastics section of the Olympics, but other than that I have little interest. In the same fashion, I only ever watch the ice skating in the winter Olympics. I hate sport, and while I think all athletes are supremely talented, I can't force myself to watch it.

I've been told four times that I must see the Dark Knight. Shan't. Not because I don't want to see it (although I'm pretty meh about it) but because I'm contrary, and the more hyped it gets, the less interested I am.

Never been to the gym, or on holiday (even in this country). Boo. I want sunshine.

But I must confess that I am seriously considering trying fluff.

Yay! More people who don't like the super-popular stuff! We should start a gang! Mags, you don't get thrown out of the gang for having watched The Dark Knight – you only get thrown out if you suddenly start talking incessantly about how it changed your life, and how the movie industry may as well close down now because nothing will EVER be as good as this movie, ever again.

Steph – this is exactly how I feel about things like this. The more hysteria there is, the less I want to see something. I'm sure I must miss out on a lot this way, but it's just one of the many ways in which I can be a little bit twisted sometimes :)

• Terry says:

Amber doesn't know it yet but I stole some of her marshmallow fluff today, it's nice!

• Katie says:

Wait a minute, is that strawberry fluff?? No way! Must go find some this instant!!

• Louise says:

Olympics, pooh, who cares?
    Movies – I never see them either, still haven't seen Titanic.
    Gym – I know the feeling, but less on the actually attending for the short while side
    Holiday – I was going to suggest Australia too, but I won't because of the flight time and cost, ok? (I still recon you should though)
    Fluff – We've spoken about this before, I will remain quiet.

• Jade says:

Re: the Olympics, what a relief to hear that there are other sane people whose lives do not revolve around these games. I had to add my comments to say that I do not care about the Olympics either. I think there is entirely too much fuss made over them and too much money spent on them. The participants are terrific athletes and while that's admirable, there are many other people who excel in many other ways and are not honored with even a small percentage of this amount of attention.

• Kristabella says:

I have been watching the Olympics. I somehow had forgotten since the last Olympics that swimmers have the BEST bodies. And they're like half naked. And wet.

And really, that's the main reason I watch. I was just lucky that Michael Phelps and swimming was the story of the games and that it was on ALL THE TIME.

I also haven't seen any of those 3 movies. But I am dying to see Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2!

• Selina says: