Full Moon Fever

There’s a full moon tonight. Can you tell? I can. I can always tell, though, and I don’t even need the little “moon” symbol in my diary. No, I can tell when there’s a full moon because of the absolute 100% batshit craziness that goes down on my blogs at around this time every month. (Note: not this one, though! The people who comment on this blog are all lovely and totally non-crazy! Please don’t shout at me!)

Seriously, this happens without fail every month, and mostly involves the comments section over at The Fashion Police (Which was two years old today, by the way. I almost didn’t post about that over there because after the comments I’ve been getting lately, I was pretty sure some bright spark would use it as an excuse to comment saying, “Oh, the blog’s two today? That’s two whole years of SUCK, bitch!” or something. Because really, nothing would surprise me now. Not when the moon is full, anyway.) although the other blogs attract their fair share of Crazies too.

Now, fair enough, The Fashion Police is a blog which gives and solicits opinions on clothes, so it’s always going to be a little bit controversial. In so far as clothes can actually be controversial, that is. I mean, seriously: I enjoy fashion enough to write about it for a living, but jeez, they’re just clothes, folks. That you wear. Does it really matter so much if someone doesn’t share your exact opinion on them? Well, apparently it does. On Friday? I was called a “douchebag” in my comments section, just because I said I liked a certain hat. A HAT, people. That’s so messed up it’s almost beyond comprehension to me. I mean, what must it be like to get so angry over the fact that some random stranger on the Internet likes a freakin’ HAT that you find yourself verbally amusing them?  Honestly, there are people out there killing puppies and torturing kittens, and yet I’m a douchebag because I like a HAT? For real? What must these people be like when they read something really  upsetting? And how has their stupidity not killed them yet?

(Weirdly, it’s always the things I like that get the most abuse.  I don’t really know why. I can say I hate a certain item and that’ll be fine, but as soon as I say I like something I get people telling me I should be shot in the head and calling me a “f&*^%&g bitch”. And those are example of real comments, by the way…)

This is just the tip of the iceberg, though. All weekend I’ve been dealing with this kind of crap. And sure, the site is getting around 10,000 visitors per day, so there’s always a good chance that at least some of them are going to be assholes, but it’s the Full Moon Effect that makes it so hard to deal with, because, for the most part, everything is fine. People are nice. They’re polite. Even when they disagree with me, they do it in a reasonable, measured kind of way. All month, things coast along just fine, and then suddenly, WHAM! Full Moon Fever! Suddenly every second comment is abuse. Suddenly everyone’s an idiot. Suddenly I’m spending so much time deleting comments and wondering if I actually DO deserve to die because I said I liked a certain dress that I don’t have time to actually write. And even although I know the wave of awfulness will pass, and tomorrow things will (hopefully) be back to normal… it’s hard. It hurts. It really puts a downer on things, and makes me want to crawl back into bed until sanity is restored once more. Oh, the humanity!

I don’t think there can be many jobs in the world which involve opening yourself up to such hatred and abuse every day. Other than call centres, obviously. (I speak as the voice of experience here, by the way: I used to work in a call centre, and we could always tell when there was a full moon there, too, because that’s what people would start threatening to kill us, rather than just threatening to break our legs. Again, not making this up…)  Sadly, there is no intelligence test people must pass to be able to use the Internet, which means that growing a thick skin is one of the main requirements of blogging for a living.  And I’m not quite there, yet. Oh, my skin is a helluva lot thicker than it used to be – today I was able to just laugh off the email from the person who said he “wouldn’t be able to live with himself” without ranting in all lowercase for a few hundred words, and to roll my eyes at the fellow blogger who commented on Dollface (a beauty blog, let me remind you) to tell me that I shouldn’t be writing about hairstyles and should be focusing on “actual news” instead, namely dresses and celebrity anorexia rumours. (Er, yeah, because that’s totally “actual news”. And it’s not AT ALL unfair to criticize a beauty blog for not being a fashion/celebrity gossip blog, is it now? )

So my skin is getting thicker, but it’s not quite thick enough, and sometimes, when there’s a full moon, it feels very thin indeed. Which is why, just this once, I felt the need to stamp my little feet and have a bit of a rant. Sorry. I’ll stop now.

I still get to have the last laugh, though because the sites are growing all the time, and yesterday was our best day ever, which means that I get to keep on working from my spare room, and earning a living from looking at pictures of shoes on the Internet. Not bad for a complete freaking douchebag, no?

• J. says:

Aww, we love you Amber! Don't let the Full Moon Fever get you down! :D

Happy birthday to the fashion police by the way! My baby cousin was just born this morning, actually – interesting coincidence, no?

• Jennifer says:

Amber –

I am a high school teacher close to the 'inner city Baltimore, Maryland area' – read Ghetto – and though I thought my skin was thick, I have done this for 7 + years, I know what I'm doing in the classroom. I wanted to hide from those Nasty Brats today.

There must be something particularly strong about this moon. My kids were mean, nasty and then some today. I actually shed tears (privately, of course. you can never let them see they get to you or it is All Over.)

I had come to the conclusion (before I read your post) that this moon is virulent – making asses bigger asses and making those of us who may be a bit sensitive, more so.

I can't wait until its over!

Good luck, keep your head up and this too shall pass!

Jen – presently mixing a strong drink

It's horrendous, isn't it? And seriously, it's so concentrated over the few days around the full moon that I'm starting to think all forms of communication should be banned during that time, to prevent people from actually killing each other. I mean, a few nasty comments I can deal with, but when they all come at the same time like this, it really starts to wear you down.

Think I need to join you with that drink!

• andra says:

I like you Amber – because you're witty, pretty, and Scottish – and I am a big fan of this blog in spite of the fact (because?)I am a stranger to both fashion and beauty.

Amber, you should never forget that there are gozillions of idiots out there with nothing better to do with their time than trawl the internet and waste OUR time!

Oh, and by the way? Shoes ROCK!

I know, I know – and actually, it's the amount of time they put into it that never fails to amaze me. Some days I get people going onto one of my blogs and then systematically going through the entire archive, leaving idiot comments on every post. The site has around 2,500 posts on it, so that takes them a WHILE! I only wish I had that much free time on my hands, but even if I did, I like to think I'd spend it doing something other than trying to make other people feel bad…

On the plus side, it takes these people hours to leave all those comments, but it only takes me a few seconds to mass-delete them, so I guess I'm doing a public service by keeping them occupied!

• Victoria says:

Hi Amber,

I have been logging on to your blogs from New Zealand every day since I stumbled across The Fashion Police about 1 year ago. I think you writing style is very witty and I like the way you freely express your opinion. I work as a fashion buyer in New Zealand and think it is very important to have an opinion when you work in a creative industry. What a boring blog it would be if you just posted pictures with no witty comments – keep up the good work!

PS – as a dog owner I have to say Rubinman's blog is HILARIOUS!

Yes! Thank you! This is exactly my thinking on the matter… I can understand people disagreeing with me, and I do expect that, given the nature of the site, but at the end of the day, what I write is only an opinon, and the opinion of a complete stranger at that. I honestly can't understand the anger it inspires in people when they find out that a complete stranger on the internet likes a certain dress, or doesn't like a pair of shoes. Madness.

Glad you enjoy Rubinman, by the way – I must try and get him back to work on some new posts!

• Nina says:

Aww no, don't listen to those idiots! You're amazing and your articles are fun & show your great talent!

• Louise says:

As above.

P.S.

People are crap, present company exempted.

• Steph says:

Wow. I mean, I rarely disagree with your opinion on fashion or beauty, and even on the rare occasions I do, I certainly wouldn't take it as some kind of failing in you as a person. That is just mental.

So, to combat all the icky nastiness, may I just say that you are completely awesome and I love you and your blogs to bits (but not in a creepy stalker way).

I know, it's totally confusing to me. And I mean, I do expect people to disagree with me, given the nature of the site, and I'm absolutely fine with that. I'd actually think the vast majority of people who comment there do so in order to disagree with me (probably something to do with the fact that if people agree with something, they don't really feel the need to post a comment about it), but as long as they can do it without calling me names, that's fine. It's the ones who want to start fights over hats and shoes that just amaze me!

And thank you for your last, totally non-creepy, sentence, by the way :)

• admin says:

And there was the person last full moon that commented over 100 times in one day, you never mentioned her Amber. She was bizarre.

Husband out.

Yeah, that was totally mental. And then there was the woman, who, over a couple of days, left around 200 comments, almost all of them saying that she was a size 18 and felt she couldn't wear skinny jeans because of that. The comments weren't abusive in any way, but they did start to get pretty boring after a while!

• Carre says:

Hey Amber,

Don't let them get you down! You & your blawgs are fabulous! I used to work at a call center too when I was right out of high school. I couldn't believe the nasty names people would think up to call us. Some people are just jerks, jealous of your wit & humor.

C

Call centres are the worst, aren’t they? I only worked weekends there, but I did it for a long time and when I finally left I realised it had completely changed my view of humankind, and turned me into a complete cynic because the abuse I would get was just unbelievable. At least the crazy commenters don’t actually call me. Yet.

• Danielle says:

Amber, repeat after me: “I will not be angered by people on the internet.”

I got in a huge fight with the ladies over at Makeup Alley, and I got really upset about it, but then I realized that the anonymity the internet gives is usually taken as a green light to be asshats to everyone. I’m sure if this were in person, there would be more polite sayings all around. Don’t worry, those people are just cowards trying to be big on the internet.

I know- most of the time I’m able to deal with it fine, but I wouldn’t be human if it didn’t get to me occasionally, especially during the full moon, when it tends to be one nasty comment after another. I honestly think people forget there is a real person writing the posts, sometimes…

• Henri Hunter says:

You keep writing – I look forward to your posts…..and I agree there does seem to be some link between the moon and looniness (See it all the time at work) weirder yet, apropos moon/rant/thickness of skin is that "Wife in the North" let rip at arsey commenters only yesterday, retaliation time is here !

Ooh, I will have to check that out! Actually, I’ve read a couple of posts today from bloggers ranting about comment abuse – definitely a full moon thing, I think!

• I wandered over here because of a comment you wrote on the Getting Ink post about trolls.

I hadn’t noticed any correlation with the moon myself in terms of people’s bad/irrational behaviour but I will keep a closer watch next time.

Lively debate in a comment box is fine just so long as it does not get personal or does not take over the discussion and stop others joining in.

What I wanted to say though was that I love the way you reply to comments – the way your replies appear in the box underneath. Great.

Thanks for stopping by! Totally agree about the comments – I never have a problem with peole disagreeing respectfully, but abuse just doesn’t achieve anything.

Glad you like the comment feature – we just added it, and I love it. It’s so nice to be able to reply to people’s comments properly!