Hair Screws/Scroos – help me find them!

Hair_screws

***********UPDATE**********

Since I wrote this post a couple of years ago, I have not only managed to buy some of the original hair scroos on eBay, but they’ve also been re-released, and are available from a company called Goody, which sells via Asda in the UK. I wrote about them here, for anyone who’s interested!

********************************

The picture above shows three of the most important items in my beauty box. They’re called “hair screws” – or that’s what it said on the pack, anyway – and I bought them in Boots in about 1999.  No exaggeration. There were originally four of them, but one got lost, and since then I have guarded the three remaining screws with my life, because ever since I bought them, I have never seen them again. Ever.

This is disastrous for me, because these are my saviors on a bad hair day, or on any day when I want to put my hair up, basically. As the name and appearance suggests, all you do is twist your hair up and “screw” them in, and they will hold your hair all day. These three screws are all I need to anchor my long hair for as long as I want – I’ve even worn these to the gym, and they haven’t budged. Add to that the fact that they’re so easy to use even I can put them in unaided, without the need of a mirror, and you can probably see why I love them so much.

You see, I’m not much use with hair. I was never one of those girls who spent hours in front of the mirror trying out new hairstyles. I was too busy trying to tweeze my unibrow and get my see-through eyelashes to look “normal”. So a simple pony tail or chignon is pretty much the limit of my hair-dressing ability, and even the chignon would be impossible without the hair screws. (Yes, I’ve tried just using regular grips and all that happens is that I walk around scattering grips everywhere I go, with my hair falling down.)

So, I love my hair screws. But, of course, they’re starting to look a little the worse for wear now, and there’s always the danger that one day I’ll loose them all, which brings me to my question: where do I buy these? I’ve searched long and hard for them, and can’t seem to find them anywhere. The closest thing I found was some hair twists on eBay, which looked like these but were “open” at both ends – as you can see, mine are “closed” at the top, and I’m not sure if the open versions would work as well. Not that it matters, because I can’t even find them now….

Anyone seen them? Preferably online, because I’m in the UK, so can’t get them from anywhere that doesn’t ship here. Or, if they’re not available, can anyone suggest a foolproof alternative? My sanity – and hair – is depending on you…

UPDATE:

I originally posted this update in the comments of this entry, but for the benefit of anyone who can’t be bothered reading through them all, here it is again:

A few months ago, I managed to find some Hair Scroos on eBay, being sold by a US seller called expo_usa.

Weeks passed and no hair scroos arrived. My emails were ignored. Finally, the postal service forwarded me a fragment of an envelope containing a fragment of the “how to use hair scroos” leaflet that had been inside. This was all that remained of my package as it has been so badly damaged in transit that the contents had been lost.

And no wonder. I’d ordered two packs 4 “scroos”. They’d been sent overseas in the flimsiest envelope imaginable, with a 90 cent stamp on the front. I’d been charged $7 for this “postage and packing” which was clearly totally insufficient to protect the contents.

Again, the seller ignored all of my emails until finally I was forced to file a claim with Paypal to try and get my money back, at which point she told me I should have purchased postal insurance, at $30. Er,no, you should have used some of the $7 I paid for shipping to buy a proper envelope or box!

Anyway, this was just my experience and I really hope those of you who are also using this seller have a better one, but I really, really wouldn’t recommend using expo_USA if you’re just reading this and thinking of looking for these on eBay! I’m posting this update because several people have contacted me recently about this seller, and I wouldn’t want anyone else to lose money to them: if you look at the feedback, the poor packaging and lack of communication seems to be a common theme.

On a happier note, my husband did eventually manage to find me some hair screws, also on eBay, but from another seller, so there is hope!

Tags

• emmao414 says:

I have seen them previously on ebay, in Irish Dancing things i think. But a quick search, I cant find them! YOu just need to find the right name to google, if i figure it out i’ll let you know.

• Diana says:

It appears they’re called Hair Scroo, and it seems everyone is looking for them online. You can find a pic of the packaging here: http://glitter-box.blogspot.com/2006/09/hair-scroo.html

• Dollface says:

Diana – that’s them! Hair Scroo! How could I have forgotten that’s how it was spelt! Thanks for that, as Emma says, once you know what you’re looking for it becomes much easier…
    Emma – thanks for the Irish Dancing tip, would never have thought of that!

• Jessica says:

Im not sure but if I remember correctly I think Ive seen some at Claire’s. Im not promising though as Im not 100% sure they were the same thing. Worth checking out though.

• Dollface says:

Thanks, Jessica, I will definitely pop in and take a look!

• me says:

• Dollface says:

Thanks, “Me” – unfortunately I don’t speak German, though, so I have no idea whether that site ships to the UK!

• Mona says:

Hi Amber, I am not Me, but do speak German. The site does not say where they ship (outside of Germany that is), but they do state that you can’t pay with a credit card. Actually I do have some Hair Scroos as well – they were a 90’s thing apparently :-)

• Dollface says:

Oh, thanks for that, Mona! No credit cards, though – gah! I’m thinking eBay is probably going to be my only hope here…

• emmao414 says:

I have searched for hours, checked my local privately oiwned pharmacy where I SWORE i had seen them, but nothing. I will not let this beat me haha! I’ll keep you posted. thought i’d found some in Japan, but they were different.
    I love a challenge, me!

• Dollface says:

Ha, thanks Emma – much appreciated! The ones in the picture actually used to be brown, but they’re so old all of the coating has come off and now they’re just basically bits of wire. Hmm, am wondering if Terry could *make* me some new ones?

• Gemma says:

Well I have no idea where to buy them but if you find them anywhere please let us all know! Never seen them before in my life but they look like they’d be perfect for holding up my thick curly hair! x

• J. says:

That’s so disappointing. I translated the page “me” sent into English (http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=navclient&hl=en&u=http%3a%2f%2fshopde%2ebasler%2dhaarkosmetik%2ede%2findex%2ephp%3fshp%3d1%26cl%3ddetails%26cnid%3dk31010%26anid%3d134481%2d999) but I couldn’t find any info on shipping or payments and I haven’t found the hair scroos anywhere else =/

• Nina says:

We have them in shops in germany, I could get you some for xmas ;)

• Kathryn says:

I bought a package of four Hair Scroos back in the early 90’s at an accessories store in San Antonio. As I recall, they were made by a company in Dallas, TX. I regret never having purchased additional packages, am now down to three, and have been searching for additional ones for years because they’re the only thing that really keeps my thick hair up — regular hair pins just shoot out of my hair.

• Dollface says:

Nina – SERIOUSLY? You found them?! I will totally send you some cash if you would send them for me – I am becoming frantic now!
    Kathryn – this is exactly my problem, too. Now that I’ve used the “scroos”, nothing else is half so good. I wonder why they’re not more widely available?!

• wendy says:

have been looking into getting them from the german company… they only ship to certain counties and postage is reasonably high and there is a minimum order cost of 60euro.
    For 14 sets of 2, total cost of about 100USD/60GBP/130AUD.
    Anybody interested if I make a larger order to buy them from me for about 10USD plus postage

• Dollface says:

Wendy -I would definitely buy some for that price!

• Bex says:

Wow, these look good. How do you use them? :)

• monica says:

I would like to buy hair scroos too – please let me know if this comes off

• LaurieJoanna says:

If you are still thinking of ordering these, I may be interested in pitching in for several sets – contact me at girliness@gmail.com

• johjo says:

I bought 6 scroos back im the 90’s and am now down to 5 – I was just talking about them to friends in work last week and how amazing they are. I have very thick hair and they are the only thing that keeps my hair up all day- think we should campaign to get Boots to stock them again :)

• Diane says:

You can get those hair scroos on eBay!! I just ordered 20 of them!! They are awesome, and I bought a pack of 4 back in the 90’s too, and I have never been able to find them since. I think I got them in an accesories place like Claire’s or something. I could never find them—-and NOTHING, I mean NOTHING holds your hair up better!! I haven’t gotten my scroos yet—but I hope I will receive them in a couple days, and start holding my hair up right away!!

• Melinda says:

I know you found some to buy, but I just came across your site and wondered how those little contraptions worked and through my googling I found this and thought i’d share, just in case you loose your stash and can’t find any to buy. Sounds easy enough, I might have to give them a try, I myself have curly mid-back length hair and find most accesories to be too flimsy or just not big enough to hold all of my hair lol.
    3rd post down – Make your own Hairscroos.

• Jenny says:

You can get them on EBay ( US ) as I just bought two sets a few months ago and they are still sold on two Ebay sellers pages. Love them a bunch and had some in the 90’s but left them at a roomies when I moved out and she said she must have thrown them out not being aware what they were. I have black ones, but the sets of two or four come in gold or silver, too. I think I paid $10 US plus shipping for 4 of the Hair Scroos. I guard mine with my life now and never just lay them down, but put them away in a box when not in use! Nothing works as well for really long heavy hair. The EBay sellers may ship to UK, too!

• Natalie says:

Thank you all you ladies that have made comments and looked into this as I have now managed to order some from the US Ebay site. Hair Scroos are the only thing that hold my heavy long wavy hair up, invisibly too, fantastic invention, why why why did they stop selling em I will never know. Been after these for ages as only have 1 left which is as good as having none. Thanks all xx

• Dollface says:

Just a quick warning about eBay: I also ordered some hair scroos from eBay, from a US seller called expo_usa.

• Viv says:

I still have some left but they are so precious I’m afraid to use them because they can easily fall out. I got all mine from Boots but they don’t sell them now. I will write to them you guys do too! Please!! Fingers crossed!

• Natalie says:

I’m listing these on my ebay for bids from 3.99 or a buy it now price of 4.99 so if anyone wants a set then look up hair screws (scroos) or my name nataliechilds. I have listed one as a test but have around 10 sets for sale in brown

• linda says:

you can buys tons of hair scroos on ebay.

• Hair Screws says:

Hair Screws!

• louise says:

HI I LIVE IN THE UK AND THEY ARE CALLED HAIR SCREWS – APPARENTLY ALL AIRLINE CREW USE THEM AS THEY DO NOT SET OFF THE METAL DETECTORS- I BOUGHT MY PAIR FROM EBAY UK AND THEY ARE AMAZING!
    LOUISE X

• ducky says:

I just saw some of these on etsy! StoliGal.etsy.com
    I was doing a google search on how to use them when I came across your site. I still don’t know how to use them but your site made me want some anyway : )
    .-= ducky´s last blog ..Stormy Hand Painted Merino Wool Roving =-.