The gym, one year on…

This weekend marks the one year anniversary of Terry and I joining the gym. We decided to celebrate the occasion by forgetting to renew our membership, so that when we turned up for Body Pump on Monday morning and tried to swipe our membership cards, the turnstiles wouldn’t open for us and a recorded message started blasting through the entire gym saying, “INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! GUESS WHO HASN’T PAID THEIR MEMBERSHIP FEES?!”

Ok, maybe not that last bit, but a small queue did form behind us as we resolutely tried to force our way through the barriers, completely oblivious to the fact that the gym had PUT A BLOCK ON OUR CARDS. Even although the membership technically doesn’t run out until Friday. GOD. Luckily, Terry had brought our bank details with him, so we were able to sort things out and gain access to Body Pump, but the experience had clearly put me off my stride, because when we finally made it into the studio I managed to select The Step That Always Falls Apart As Soon As You Touch it, and it clattered to the floor in three pieces, making so much noise that everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me.

Then I picked it up and immediately dropped it again.

Then I picked it up a third time, swung round and… barrelled straight into the punch bag that hangs from the ceiling.

The next morning, when we arrived for Body Combat, we discovered that our cards were STILL BLOCKED, and riot police were preventing us from entering the gym. I wonder why?

Anyway, despite the fact that I drop the equipment on a regular basis and haven’t been able to use the pool since January, I’m actually feeling pretty pleased with myself that I lasted out the entire year, because let’s face it, I really didn’t expect to. At all. I mean, I was really just humouring Terry when I agreed to join up, and my intention was to only use the sauna and spa, and to make sure I didn’t break a sweat, ever. But somehow I managed to keep going, and am now actually going even more regularly than I did to start with, when I was still in hot pursuit of that free towel. Yay me!

And now I’m going to go eat cake…

• Congratulations! I'm on month 5 and counting….

<abbr>Amanda Nicole´s last blog post..goal</abbr>

Oh, well done – we totally gave up for a while at around that point but we managed to get back into it and now it's become part of our routine. Or I hope so, anyway!

• Terry says:

When you say you go more regularly I think you should tell your readers that you have been going 5 times a week to proper calorie burning Aerobics classes. Don't be afraid to show off :P

Or 5 times a week, except for those weeks when I wake up and think, "Er, no, nothing will get me to step class this morning". Then I go back to sleep :)

• Mhairi says:

Hey Amber

Wish David and I had your determination for the gym. We have been members since April, and although we started out really well, we literally have been once in the last 2 months – even then it was only to the sauna.

Hopefully we will get back into it, it is a nice gym to go to.

Don't give up! We've had loads of times during the year when we've just not gone for a while, but somehow we've managed to get back into it now and have made it a part of our daily routine, which helps. It's a shame you two can't go during the day or Terry and I would persuade you to come to classes with us :) Mind you, Terry would probably "persuade" you by threatening your couch…

• Erik (Sorrento) says:

Gyms just want your money. Period. Most people are cajoled to sign up for those 1-3 years pre-pay schemes and then don't use the gym. They were mad at you for actually using it.

While I've not met you in person (we were less than 50 miles apart this morning!), from the photos I've seen of you, I would suggest only doing some cardio solely for heart reasons.

Yeah, we were locked into a one-year contract (we can now cancel at any time, though), which is annoying. There are hardly any gyms around here that don't do that, it seems, which is a real pain, especially if you decide to move or something halfway through the year. I guess they probably do it because so many people join, go for a week and then never go back, mind you…

• Louise says:

I can't believe that was a year ago, are you sore it wasn't only a few weeks ago…… Please say it was, other wise my perception of time is becoming seriously skewed.

• Sunehra says:

You are hilarious!

<abbr>Sunehra´s last blog post..Is negotiating your salary a no-no these days?</abbr>

• Terry says:

I think gyms can be stupidly expensive, especially when you don't go often. You see a large influx of people at certain time of the year, like January, then they all stop going pretty quick. I think a large majority of people that join gyms follow that pattern.

However if you do make good use of the gym and go even a couple of times a week it then becomes ok value, if you can go 3 or 4 times a week then the per day cost works out very cheap. Now that Amber and I have got into a routine, going to the gym isn't a chore, we actually enjoy it, all the classes are good fun. Although it can be pretty embarrassing for me as I am pretty much the only guy in all of the classes :)

Why is it guys don't go?

• Alex says:

Yay! Currently I’m just trying to go 2-3 times a week at lunchtimes and that’s hard enough, so I really appreciate the challenge going regularly for a whole year represents.

Go you! (And Terry! Us Greeks have to stick together…)

Alex´s last blog post..A quiet evening in suburbia

Yeah, I think it's the "finding time to go" part that makes it hard…. We had been going in the late afternoons but just couldn't keep it up because it was too much of a disruption to the day. Now we go first thing in the morning, before we have a chance to talk ourselves out of it, and it works much better for us.

• Hayley says:

Congrats on a whole year, and going on a regular basis! I could probably count on my fingers how many times I've been in the past year…