Review | The Neutrogena Wave facial cleanser
Do not adjust your sets! We didn’t suddenly turn into a gadget blog: this is the Neutrogena Wave, and it’s a vibrating facial cleanser. See that fuzzy little pad on the end? That’s a disposable cleansing pad. To make it work, all you have to do is get the pad wet (the unit is water resistant, so don’t worry about splashes), switch on the Wave and then gently hold it against your skin.
The idea here is that the vibrating pads help to open up your pores, allowing the foamy cleanser to give you a deeper cleanse that you might get with more traditional cleansers. Meanwhile, we’re always being told how good a facial massage can be for the complexion, and this helps you get it.
The pads are single-use, and the unit comes with 14 of them. Once you’ve used them up, you can buy a refill pack containing 30 pads, which simply press onto the head of the Wave, and are impregnated with a cleanser which is gentle enough to use daily. But how well does it actually work?
I’ve been using this for about a week now, and I have mixed feelings about it.
On the plus side:
- It’s easy to use
- The shape makes it easy to hold, and it’s water resistant, so you can use it in the shower
- My skin feels squeaky clean after use
- I love the massage you get with this, and it’s a nice, relaxing way to clean your skin before bed
On the negative:
- Although the cleanser is fairly foamy, I didn’t quite trust it to remove my makeup, so I generally found myself using it either in the morning, or as an addition to my usual cleansing routine, i.e. I’d clean my face as normal, and then use the Wave. I think this is probably largely a psychological thing, though – I’m used to using my hands or a washcloth or sponge to clean my face, so this takes a bit of getting used to.
- Having to remember to buy refills every month would probably annoy me, although I guess it’s no different to remembering to buy a new cleanser when the old one runs out. I’ve been spoiled by my olive oil cleansing routine in this respect – when my "cleanser" runs out I just go down to the kitchen and get some more!
Overall, it’s a pretty cool little gadget, although I’m not sure whether the novelty will wear off after a while. For now, I’m enjoying using it, and will persevere at least until the pads that came with it run out!
For more information, visit the Neutrogena Wave website.