Friday Five – Aromas

This is a kinda boring Friday Five, but hey, “boring” has never stopped me before, so without further ado:

What are your favorite smells/scents?

Cut grass. Petrol.  Sunscreen. Rubin’s head (when he’s not been rubbing it in Unmentionables, obviously). The pages of certain books, particularly textbook-type ones, which often have this really distinctive scent that I can’t really describe – only when they’re new, though.  Libraries. The interior of Lush stores.  Leather handbags.  The immigtration hall at Sanford airport. The interior of a brand new car.  Terry’s neck.

Do they bring back memories for you? If so, what?

Well, yeah. For instance, the smell of Rubin’s head? Totally makes me think of Rubin, every time. Cut grass and sunscreen makes me think of summer, d’uh! Petrol… umm, let me get back to you on that. Other things, like a certain brand of supermarket hairspray, transport me instantly back to my teenage years, when I used to spray my hair into this hideous “quiff” thing, that would still be standing even after I’d slept on it. This hairspray was so strong you could use it to stick coins to your forehead, and I’ve no idea how I came to discover that.  Also, The Body Shop’s White Musk perfume will take me back to that same era, while Calvin Klein’s ‘Escape’ is my 2nd year of university, and ‘Obsession’ is a certain bar in a certain small town in central Scotland, with sticky carpets and stale cigarette smoke.

What are your least favorite smells/scents?

Hospitals. That unique smell of disinfectant and… well, death, I guess.

Do they bring back memories for you? If so, what?

Yes,  and too many of them.

What are your favorite perfumes/colognes?

I like to stick to a ‘signature’ scent rather than swapping around. For years now it’s been Jean Paul Gaultier’s ‘Classique’,  but I’m thinking of defecting to ‘Fragile’. I guess I’m a Gaultier girl at heart, although as the answers above show,  I also like Calvin Klein’s work in the fragrance department, and you can’t beat a bit of Chanel.

And now it’s your turn…

• RhondaB says:

Hi Amber! Been lurking for a while and enjoying this blog and the Fashion Police. You are a very entertaining writer, even on "boring" subjects.

The smell of White Shoulders takes me back to early adolescence. I was so happy to get my first bottle so I could quit sneaking my best friend's mom's. I wore until well after I was tired of it, mainly because my husband kept buying me gallons every holiday.

Apparently the smell of Calvin Klein's Euphoria takes my husband back to a great vacation in Vegas a couple of years ago. "You smell like Vegas" is a compliment in my case.

The smell of the beach is my wecome home. I don't notice the smell until I step off a plane (where I didn't die) and inhale. "Mmmmm, seaweed and rotting fish, it's good to be back home!".

Has anyone told you that you look more than a little like Isla Fischer? When I was the Confessions of a Shopoholic trailer, I though of you. Have a great weekend!

Ooh, thanks so much for commenting, and thanks even more for comparing me to Isla Fisher! Terry also thinks I look like her, but I reckon it's just because of the hair. I love her, though, so it's very flattering!

And oh God, yes, the smell of the sea! How could I have forgotten that one! I don't actually live near the sea, but I know what you mean about that "coming home" smell – the whole seaweed/rotting fish scent isn't particulalry nice in itself, but it makes me think of North Berwick, which is one of my favourite places ever, so I love it!

• I am very scent-sensitive, and do enjoy a good whiff of Petrol. I also like: the smell of hardware stores, possibly because they remind me of when I used to go on coveted errands with my dad; Dave's t-shirts (what is it about the intimate scent of a loved one? Must be instinctual); the middle pages of a brand new novel, and like you I can't describe it or pinpoint why I love it so much; vanilla pillar candles, which I burn incessantly; my late cat's paws, which always smelled like Doritos; bread in the bread maker; Old Spice, again probably because of my dad… Wow, none of those were even perfumes!

As for perfumes, I tend to have a collection of very different scents that ranges from light and refreshing to musky and intense, because I like to have my scent match my mood or what I'm doing that day. I'm sure it only makes sense to myself, but I love to go through my little make-up case of perfumes and choose one!

<abbr>Amanda Nicole´s last blog post..pack rat</abbr>

• Stephen says:

This appeals to me – I've a very keen sense of smell, and my sensory memory relies a lot on it.

I love the smell of the ocean – it takes me back to more places than I could list. Similarly, the yeast / hops smell as you drive past the brewery in Edinburgh, though not particularly pleasant, reminds me so much of how it felt to be a kid on a 'big adventure' going into town I smile every time it hits my nose. Brandy reminds me of Christmas. A coal fire reminds me of my gran. Various 'parfums' remind me of various girls (No. 5, anyone?).

There are smells I just love. Chocolate. A JD and Coke. Opening a jar of cofee. Cheese and wine. (There's a theme there… ;+) The smell of my children – each distinct, each capable of making my heart break. New books / comics. Play-doh.

I totally agree with you on the 'new car' smell, and totally disagree on the inside of a 'Lush' store (too overwhelming)!

My most hated smell is male changing rooms. Yuck. Unfortunately, it's hard for me to avoid!

I used to do the 'signature scent' thing (Hugo, then Eternity), but my sense of smell is so acute that I get bored if I wear the same thing all the time. Ridiculous though it may sound, I currently have 26 different bottles of aftershave (I just counted) and a few wee samples besides! Now what I wear is mainly based on mood – Fresh, Woody/Musky or Oriental, depending on where my head is at. It's Armani Code right now!

And now I'm trying to figure out which bar you mean!

Ah, these comments are making me think of ones I'd somehow forgotten. Just commented on the smell of the sea above, but the Edinburgh breweries is another one – such a unique "Edinburgh" thing, and it's another one that isn't actually a nice scent in itself, but almost SEEMS nice because of the memories it produces.

Am in awe of your aftershave collection, seriously. I have quite a few perfumes, because I get sent a lot to review etc, but I have this slightly OCD thing about them whereby I like to use one bottle at a time, and anytime I use a new one I feel like I'm "cheating" on my usual one. Ah, the fun of living in my head!

• Kristabella says:

One of my favorite smells is fresh cut grass. Also, laundry fresh out of the dryer.

Growing up, my grandma's house in Wisconsin had a distinct smell. We never knew exactly what it was, but it was a combination of stale cigarette smoke, mildew and cat pee. But one time my brother and I were somewhere and we both looked at each other and were like "It smeills like Grandma Lou's house!"

<abbr>Kristabella´s last blog post..I Guess I Should Have Paid Attention To Those Zantac Commercials</abbr>

Fresh laundry! Yes, I love that too – although actually, I think laundry that's been hanging on the line smells even better, but we don't often get the weather to hang laundry out, so I don't get to smell that too often.

It's weird the way people's homes have such distinct smells, too: I can still remember the scent of the appartment I stayed in when I was in 2nd year of university. God, that was awful…

• Emmao414 says:

What are your favorite smells/scents?

New shoes. For obvious reasons. Curry. hairspray/hairdressers, Love it so much, worked for 6 months in one, and it was great!

What are your least favorite smells/scents?

Money. It stinks! smells soooo dirty, its just yuck. Green Diesel mens EDT. I bought hubby this before a 'romantic' valentines weekend, where I got left at the bar in favour of a poker machine, and proceeded to drink 3 bottles of rose wine by myself. Needless to say, I was sick as a dog, and the smell of his cologne brings back that night vividly.

What are your favorite perfumes/colognes?

I flit from perfumes, but I do love Ghost Night, and Calvin Clein Eternity.