Surprise, surprise!

It was my birthday on Tuesday. I didn’t mention it at the time because, well, I hate birthdays.  And because I was sulking and feeling hard-done-by on account of the fact that, wah, I just got older!

But it was my birthday, and in the evening, Terry took me here:

banns

(It’s a vegetarian restaurant in Edinburgh. We’re not vegetarians, but God, the food is delicious…)

I wore this:

green-dress

And over dinner, Terry gave me these:

surprises

They are “surprises” and there are 12 of them, which I can redeem anytime I want (although some of them require a certain amount of notice, or can only be redeemed on weekends, etc.) They have names like “Sparkle Surprise” and “Surprise Red”, and there’s even a “Rubin’s Surprise, which makes me a little bit nervous, because most of the “surprises” Rubin’s been leaving me lately could be described using the words “pee” and “radiator”.

(The names are cryptic, apparently.  I don’t think the “Calcium Surprise” is a carton of milk, for instance, but you never know…)

With this one act, Terry has earned Brownie points that will last at least until the vouchers run out. And birthdays = not so bad, really.

(Oh, and I also got this gorgeous handmade bookmark from Nina:

twittertitters

Isn’t that the prettiest thing? And the book’s not bad either, by the way. Ahem.)

• Hilary says:

Happy Birthday! The restaurant and the dress = fantastic! The little surprises are great, can't wait to hear what they turn out to be!

<abbr>Hilary´s last blog post..Writing on Command</abbr>

• Rock Hyrax says:

I recognise that "dress of the day"!

And those surprises are a brilliant idea.

• Becky says:

That must be the cutest birthday gift I've ever heard of! Kudos to Terry for thinking up that idea, now if only my husband would take a few pointers from him that would be great. I can't wait to see what Rubin's Surprise will be. Let's hope it doesn't involve more pee!! xx Becky

<abbr>Becky´s last blog post..Win x5 Pairs of Vitality Show Tickets!</abbr>

• Fi says:

You have the best husband ever! I hope you'll post and tell us what they all are. (That's 12 further posts mapped out for you, right there.)

x

<abbr>Fi´s last blog post..Outfit: Smart Casual</abbr>

• Happy belated birthday! I let mine go under the radar as well. I won't even tell friends and just slip out for dinner with family. Terry is so creative, I'm dying to know what a calcium surprise is!

<abbr>Amanda Nicole´s last blog post..here I lay</abbr>

• Karin says:

Happy Birthday! You have to tell us what each surprise is! :D

Love your sites btw, all of them =))

*hugs from Sweden*

<abbr>Karin´s last blog post..Rösta på nästa månads lack!</abbr>

Oh happy birthday! I look forward to reading what all the surprises are, as they are revealed.

<abbr>Tracey´s last blog post..Mellow Yellow Monday</abbr>

• Lauren says:

Aw, what a good boyfriend. I think from this post he has also got brownie points from all readers!

Guess what? For my Birthday, I went to the zoo – I have discovered that using your brithday just as an excuse to have fun means they aren't so horrid!

<abbr>Lauren´s last blog post..I’m just going Kinnearing</abbr>

• Terry says:

Hopefully I can actually get brownies with all my points :D

• Lisa I says:

What a great idea! I am definitely going to steal this idea. My husband is way better at gifts and surprises than I am, so I have to take inspiration where I can find it. Amber, I hope you will let us know about the specifics! Your blogs–and Rubin's–are two of my daily must-clicks.

Happy birthday!

• Veronika says:

wow what a lovely gift. (aaand lovely dress;)

• Erin says:

Aww, love. Not a bad husband you've got there, m'dear :)

<abbr>Erin´s last blog post..Elizabeth Gilbert on the Creative Process</abbr>