Paper Surprise

Remember my birthday surprises, and how you thought there was no way I could possibly still be talking about them in MAY, considering my birthday was in March?

You were wrong.

I still had one surprise left to redeem. That surprise was the Paper Surprise, and because the Paper Surprise took a while to prepare, it didn’t arrive until this morning.

LOOK! A BOOK!
a-book

But not just any old book, because OMG, it’s a book about ME!

wedding

Well, OK, a book about me and Terry. And our wedding. Which, no, we never actually bothered to get any photos printed from, until now, so this was a particularly lovely surprise for me. Each page has photos from the wedding, and lots of them also have little quotes chosen by Terry:

diamond-ring

We had a lot of Beatles songs at our wedding. A LOT of Beatles songs.

wedding-book

I tried to take more photos, but they came out blurry, and also this kept happening:

rubin-book

I don’t actually make him pose like that, by the way. He just sees me with a camera and is all, “Oh, hai! I can has piktur taken?”

And that conludes the “Surprise” section of this blog. I think Terry deserves a round of applause for his efforts, don’t you? People, I give you… TERRY!

terrysurprise

(Note: I am not actually giving you Terry, OK? He is mine.)

• Phred says:

I want to know where he got the book published. That is a fabulous idea and well executed. Is there a website that you can upload pictures and organize the book, or did you have special contacts in the publishing business?

• Siany says:

Phred, you can actually get these done at Blurb, or Lulu – both brilliant websites that let you downlaod software and design your own book. I've used blurb before and would thoroughly recommend. I'm not sure which one Terry used, but it's a very pretty book indeed! Amber is very lucky! :-)

x

<abbr>Siany´s last blog post..Just one more thing… Retro Ikea Tins</abbr>

He got it printed by Photobox.co.uk, but as Sian says, there are lots of others out there: can also recommend Lulu.com, who printed the Twitter Titters book I had an article in.

• Simone says:

awh, that's just adorable and a half.

• What a perfect gift! I also love that shirt Terry's wearing. And Rubin's little leg. Gah!

<abbr>Amanda Nicole´s last blog post..summer essentials</abbr>

• Kristabella says:

That's awesome! I love the Beatles! Terry did an AWESOME job!

My cats are the opposite of Rubin. They see the camera and they stop being cute and run away.

<abbr>Kristabella´s last blog post..Is It Called Sudafed Because Someone With A Stuffy Nose Tried To Say Stuffy Head?</abbr>

Oh, Rubin is a complete and utter poser! He only has to hear the camera shutter click and he'll come running from wherever he is to make sure he's in on it. I used to sell stuff on eBay, and it was a nightmare trying to keep him out of the photos!

Damn, I've been asking for Terry for months and I thought you'd finally relented! Seriously, he is wonderful and what a beautiful paper surprise.

<abbr>Tracey´s last blog post..Teaching an old dog new tricks</abbr>

• Kelley says:

Hats off to you, Terry. The amount of thought, time, and creativity you put into all these gifts is really impressive.

• Kathleen says:

Terry, you're awesome. My b/f needs to be schooled in the ways of romance. Can you teach him?

That shirt is the best!

• Louise says:

Terry, thanks so much for coming up with this idea, I'm sure there are people all over the world currently planing to copy your great idea, including me!

Amber, I have been keeping track of these posts, with enthusiasm, so I can steal the ideas! I can't seem to see what the 'Surprise T' was… was it not G or PG enough to go on your blog?

<abbr>Louise´s last blog post..Cup Cake</abbr>

• Erin says:

What a lovely book! That Terry just keeps the good stuff coming, doesn't he!

Also, Dave needs that t-shirt!! Tres cute :)

<abbr>Erin´s last blog post..Keep Calm and Have a Cupcake…</abbr>

• Mhairi says:

Oh Amber – that book is fantastic.

What a great way to remember your wedding day.

Just slightly better than getting a photo album – this is even more personal to you guys.

Get Terry to tell David what to do – it is my birthday in a couple of weeks time and he is getting me to show him what I want and where I want to go for dinner. Lovely but no surprises. :(

x

<abbr>Mhairi´s last blog post..Time to show the girlies……</abbr>

It's a really nice idea, and in some ways better than a traditional album, because the pictures don't fall out, etc.

I will get Terry to drop some hints to David – it was fantastic having the surprises go on for so long :)

• What a great idea. Love the t-shirt too – that is one well-trained man ;)

And I adore the little pose your dog is doing – so funny :D

<abbr>Zoe, Conversation Pieces´s last blog post..Smiley Saturday</abbr>

• Alex says:

Aw, how lovely! He is indeed a fantastic husband. :)

I used Blurb to write Ash a book about weasels one Christmas (don't ask – it slides from perplexing to sickly) so I totally love the idea of photobooks as presents!

<abbr>Alex´s last blog post..Weekend Baking: Lemon & Poppy Seed Spotted Cupcakes</abbr>

A book about weasels sounds intriguing to me! They do make fantastic gifts, though – in fact, I think that's my Christmas shopping sorted!

• xony says:

Awww! He's the best!

btw… I saw this and (so weird!) thought about you!

• Hi there. As your blog is so utterly fab, I've decided to give you a Lemonade Award :)

Come view on my blog, congrats! xx

<abbr>Zoe, Conversation Pieces´s last blog post..And they all drank lemonade</abbr>

• Terry says:

Thank you for all your lovely comments everyone, I am glad you liked my ideas :)

Husband

• Camilla says:

If there were awards for Top Husbands I think Terry is a slamdunk winner!

Camilla´s last blog post..Denmark and Cosmic Attraction

• maz aka MallyMon says:

Is it just me? I'm a bit disappointed that people want to copy Terry's originality. He's certainly one of a kind, there's no question of that but surely everyone's partner is special in one way or another? The thing about originality is just that, it's original. Once everyone starts copying, seems to me, the specialness of it all gets lost. (Just my opinion, though, obviously!)

• Terry says:

I think that almost every romantic gesture has already been done so giving: flowers; a card; jewellery or a million other things that we consider romantic is essentially copying someone else's idea. I personally don't think it takes away from the kindness of the gesture or the happiness it makes someone feel. Yes it is cool to get something original, but sometimes a hug is just fine :)

At the end of the day giving makes people happy and being happy is all we really want from life.

And for the record I would be more than pleased for anyone to take the concept I used and make up their own surprises. Life is short, spend it loving :)

Husband

Well, I think anyone who uses the idea will have to personalise it anyway, to make it work for their loved one, so it's always going to be different. As Terry says, all it's really about is giving someone a series of surprises, which will hopefully make them feel happy: it would be a shame if people felt they shouldn't do that just because it's not "original" enough.

• Lisa I says:

My husband is fantastic, and I am taking nothing away from him when I say that Terry is apparently an incredible guy. And I think it is a big compliment to Terry for so many people to take his basic idea, individualize it, and use it for their loved ones.

• Veronika says:

Awww that is so sweet! I loved all the surprises! Thank you for sharing them with us;))

Veronika´s last blog post..Days like today..