Guest Post: How to make your eyes pop….. (not literally)

Kerry Walker writes…

Ever noticed that your eye colour really seems to ‘pop’ with some eyeshadow, and not with others?  If you want to know how to make the most of your beautiful brown, gorgeous green or bonny blue eyes, then you have to go back to primary school.  Because it’s all about the colour wheel.

Exhibit A: Colour Wheel

Colur-wheel

In order to accentuate the colour of your eyes, you should choose an eyeshadow colour that is opposite your eye colour on the colour wheel.  For instance, I have blue eyes (well, they are really grey, but I like to say that they are blue) and opposite blue is orange.  This doesn’t mean that you have to have fluorescent mango coloured lid!  Just look for colours with orange-y tones.

Exhibit B: Eyeshadows with Orange-y tones:

Eyeshadows

Here’s some examples:

Eyeshadow

Don’t be afraid to play around with eye shadow colour.  Just remember to use brush, not those horrid sponge applicators, and to always blend, blend, blend.

[Kerry Walker]

A huge thank-you to Kerry for her excellent advice! ~ Dollface

• Victoria says:

This article is really helpful! I had been wondering which were the best colours for me. x

• Sonya says:

wait, I’m supposed to use red eyeshadow? that makes me look like i have an infection!

• Squib says:

This is more exciting than the Dulux paint shade categorisation.
    On the colour wheel I’m a Blue (4) – yes, wishy washy blue-grey for me too. So I get apportioned the amber shades as well. Glad to see my gut instinct had gone down that route anyway, but the DuWop pallette above looks an interesting buy.
    S

• Kerry says:

Hi Sonya,
    Please don’t wear red eyeshadow! You will look like you have pink eye! I presume you have green eyes? Red-based (as opposed to bluey) purples will look lovely on you. If you are worried about it looking weird, use it on the lid and blend it with a brown in the crease and the outer corners of the lashline
    xKerry

• Beauty Blog says:

Really great information. i have never heard about the color wheel. My eyes are brown, but I have never been fond of blue eyeshadow. In any case, I’ll try it on me. Hope it’ll work.