Virgin Media once more my mortal enemy: no internet for five days

(Note: this was actually written yesterday, but wasn’t posted because – hey! – NO INTERNET. Since then I’ve emailed a complaint to two different people at Virgin Media, but haven’t had a response.)

So, the Virgin Media engineer who was booked to come out to us today to fix our internet? Isn’t coming. Because Virgin cancelled the appointment. Thirty minutes before it was due to happen, because obviously our time isn’t important AT ALL, is it? Hell no, we can change our plans for you, Virgin Media, but don’t worry about letting us down at the last minute or anything, we’re only customers, after all!

And the reason they’re not sending the engineer? They’ve decided there is a “network issue in our area”. Well, it’s great you could finally join us in the “People Who Knew There Was a Network Issue in the Area” club, Virgin Media, because we told you that on Friday. It was obviously a network issue. The fact that it’s taken them FIVE FULL DAYS to work that out – five full days during which we’ve only occasionally been able to access the internet – is just unacceptable to me. If it takes them five days to work out there’s an issue affecting a whole area, then it doesn’t really inspire much confidence in them, does it?

So. Five days without the internet. Two missed appointments. Huge disruption to our lives and business. And the next time the weather’s hot, it’ll probably happen again (one of the many, many people we’ve spoken to over the past few days confirmed that there’s an issue connected to “hot” weather.). Obviously we realise that sometimes things go wrong: as Terry says, it’s how the company deals with those things that matters, and, once again, Virgin Media are doing a fantastic job of convincing me they really don’t give a crap about their customers.

I think it’s time to start investigating new ISPs…

Um yes, it is definitely time to look for a new ISP provider. That just sucks!

yeah, I mean I do realise that things go wrong sometimes, but five days without internet is unacceptable, I think, although Virgin Media clearly don't agree!

• Sophie says:

Argh! That is just shocking. They should know how important it is for you especially that you have internet. And missing not one but 2 appointments? Bad.

I was enraged by the missed appointments as much as the loss of service – just one of the many ways Virgin Media have managed to enrage me this week!

• sarah says:

Hi Amber

I had a similar problem with Virgin and as a freelancer I feel your pain!! I was borderline hysterical.

Anyway, I got a pay as you go mobile broadband dongle just in case and it has been a lifesaver. If you don't have one, it could be worth a try?

I just moved and Virgin have taken ages to set my internet up here so I would have missed about two weeks of work without the dongle, which would have been very bad!

Yes, one of our friends has one of these which he very kindly offered to lend us if it goes down again, but I think I definitely need to look into buying one: Virgin Media told us the problem is caused by warm weather, so if (and OK, it's a pretty big "if" for us!) we get any more nice days this summer, it's probably going to go down again. Their customer service is shockingly bad, though – they clearly couldn't care less about the people who pay for their service.

• Terry says:

I think you can use your iphone in the same way as a usb dongle.

• that’s lame pants – I would go nuts without the net, and I don’t even need it for my career (much). Double sucks that something as great as warm weather brings about this type of hell!

Wanderlusting´s last blog post..Hippie Hippie Shake

• Camilla says:

That's more than a bit rubbish of Virgin.

<abbr>Camilla´s last blog post..Getting on with it…</abbr>

• Katie says:

Amber, I know all too well how Virgin Media can mess things up!!

My internet was down last month for about 4 days… it all stopped working 7 days before my dissertation was due in! I was close to having a massive mental breakdown. The engineer was due to come and fix the sodding internet 3 days before my deadline but as if by magic the internet started working all by itself… I still wanted the engineer to come out just to check it was all ok – but no the appointment was cancelled. meeergh

And oh this is the amusing part… it stopped again the day before my deadline.. there were lots of tears and shouting and I seem to remember lots of swearing too. Fun times!

Glad to see you're back though. The blogs have been keeping me sane through tedious amounts of revision.

Oh no, that's horrendous! I would've been an absolute nervous wreck if I'd had a deadline like that and no internet – I'm hyperventilating at the thought of it!

• Hmmm, that doesn't sound good and sounds like the cabinet ventilation might need looking at. Want to drop me a line with some details and I'll get this investigated to see what needs to be done?

Apologies for the hassle experienced here.

Alex

Alex Brown

Internet Product Management

Virgin Media

Hi Alex,

I actually emailed both you and John Powell on June 2nd, but haven't had a response. I used the email address you've left with your comment and it didn't bounce back, so perhaps there's an issue with your email.