Mascara Wars: Can ANYTHING beat Lancome L’Extreme?
Before I start working my way through the small mascara mountain that's lurking in my makeup box, I thought I'd take a few minutes to set down in writing what I'm actually looking for in a mascara. So, here's my criteria for the perfect mascara:
The Dollface Mascara Manifesto
The perfect mascara must be:
- Lengthening. I know not all mascaras are even designed to be lengthening, and those that aren't will be judged accordingly when I come to review them (i.e. I won't expect them to lengthen if they're designed to, say, curl, instead), but for me this is the first thing I look for. If it doesn't give me longer lashes, I probably won't be impressed by it, it's as simple as that.
- Non-flaky, non-clumpy, non-runny. Goes without saying, really, doesn't it?
- Easy to use. I prefer a long, narrow wand, personally, but if a thick, short one happened to be easy to use, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.
- Able to lock-in a curl. This is the most essential point for me. I curl my lashes, and I expect my mascara to hold that curl in place and not drag it out. If it doesn't, I'm not going to love it.
- Preferably waterproof, although if I don't insist on it, and if I found a non–waterproof mascara that did all of the above, that would be just fine.
I don't ask for much, then. What I tend to find is that most mascaras will meet only one or two of these criteria. With a couple of exceptions:
THE REIGNING CHAMPION:
Lancome L'Extreme Waterproof Mascara. Still undefeated despite going head-to-head with literally dozens of other mascaras! Can ANYTHING beat it?
THE YOUNG PRETENDER:
Imju Fiberwig. Loses points on the "locking in the curl" bit, but adds so much length I can almost overlook it.
On their own, each of these mascaras is a force to be reckoned with. Together, though, they're the Dream Team: try brushing Fiberwig on over the top of L'Extreme. Your lashes will create a draft when you bat them.
Now, I seriously doubt that these two products can be bettered but over the next couple of weeks I'm going to be trying out a whole lot of mascaras, so this is what they're up against. Tell me, though, what's your criteria for the perfect mascara? And are there any you'd like me to take for a test drive? (I can't promise to get hold of them if so, but I'll try my best!)