Nuthin’ mo’ betta

On the way back to the airport last week, we passed a restaurant that had the tag-line “Nuthin’ mo’ betta’.” No, seriously: it was written just like that. We didn’t stop there, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) so I can’t confirm whether there really IS anything “mo’ betta” than Billy’s Shrimp Shack, or whatever the hell it was called, but it kinda sums up the holiday for me – and I should add here that I do not mean to imply anything about Floridian grammar by that statement. (Although, note to Disney: “sweets” does not have an apostrophe. Just FYI.)

For me, there is nothing, er, more better – no, it’s no use, I’m not going to be able to keep writing that, sorry – than being on holiday, and since I’ve been home, I’ve had the worst case of post-holiday blues ever. Ever.

It’s not just the weather. Sure, the weather is part of it, and a pretty big part at that, but just to pre-empt all of the people who will want to tell me that OMG, the weather was just FABULOUS here while I was always (Seriously, why do people do that? Why are they always so keen to tell you how wonderful the weather has been while you’ve been on vacation? Is it to try and make you feel like you shouldn’t have bothered going? Because it doesn’t work, if so. It’s like all those people who go, “Well, you don’t have much of a suntan!” as if they want you to feel like you have somehow FAILED at vacationing or something. But I digress.), the weather isn’t the only thing I miss. It’s all of it. Everything, right down to the sound of the crickets at night and the smell of the mall on my new sweater. Silly things. Inconsequential things. Things you don’t actually travel to see, but miss like hell when you come home.

Oh, and the weather of course. And Sephora.

So I’ve been feeling pretty sad these past few days, and although I always feel sad when I come home, this time the feeling has been much harder to shake than usual. Rubin, however, has been doing his very best to cheer me up. He’s been staying with Terry’s mum while we were gone, and while he was there, he managed to eat three pineapple cakes and a Kit Kat over and above his allotted food and treats. (Yes, I know dogs aren’t supposed to eat chocolate, but he stole it out of Terry’s mum’s handbag and suffered no ill effects, even although he ALSO ate the wrapper. He stole the cakes from her bed, where she’d placed them for a few minutes to keep them out of his reach while she unpacked her shopping. I have no idea how he got onto the bed, because he can’t normally do that. He must’ve REALLY wanted those cakes, is all I can say…) Terry’s mum and Keith, her partner, are absolutely amazed by his capacity to eat, and to keep on eating, even although he must surely to God be full, and can’t possibly be actually TASTING anything, on account of he’s swallowing it whole.It amazes me, too.

Anyway, it’s good to have him home, even if it’s not good to actually BE home. Since we landed on Friday, I have spent more or less every waking moment searching online for holidays to anywhere. Terry, meanwhile, has been making this:

• Nina says:

Great vid, thanks Terry :) Your dad has some mad pool jumping skillz, too! Also love the scene where you're striking a pose, you should be a model! Sorry you're unhappy being back, but just think of how great it is you got home in one piece – after the recent airbus crashes probably something to be thankful for, hum? Anyway – welcome back :)

• Lauren says:

That video is awesome! Terry is very talented. I'm assuming those black beauties are the unmentionable shoes you brought?. I still really wanna steal your swimming cossie…it's adorable.

I tend to feel sad once a big thing I've been looking forward to for ages is over and done with. But then I'm good when I have something else to look forward to.

Rubin is insane, lol. I don't see how he can be that tiny and eat so much!

Smile! You get to save the world from hideous crimes of fashion and find gorgeous shoes for us all to covet.

Yes, those are the Unmentionables! I definitely need something else to look forward to now, I’m already searching for cheap flights!

• dressjunkie says:

Gosh those Louboutin's are beauties! *Sigh* See you feel blue but I feel elated after watching that :) xx
    .-= dressjunkie´s last blog ..Howdy ;) =-.

• Alex says:

All kindsa jealous about how great you look strutting down the side of the pool. :)
    .-= Alex´s last blog ..Conferences: Institute of Fundraising South West and Gorkana Sky News Briefing =-.

Ah, but if I'd taken off my sunglasses you'd have seen the massive red weals which made my eyes all puffy and red for a week: I was so glad it was sunny and I had an excuse to wear my glasses constantly!

• Aimee says:

Love the Louboutin shot!!

• Sophie says:

Gah, the shoes!! I love them. The vid is awesome by the way :) How did Rubin survive that one? Ditto to Alex's comment – you looked great!

• Erin says:

Wow, Terry's so talented!

Terry, when I have a band (which I will, just you wait), I totally want you to create and direct our music videos :)

You rock!

(Amber, those shoes… *happysigh*)

• What a great video, Terry! It stirs up all my happy memories of being in Florida too – we also have family there. Sorry you're sad to be back, Amber. I hope Rubin is doing his best to cheer you up!
    .-= Rachel Pattisson´s last blog ..Essential Reading =-.

Rubin is an excellent cheerer-upper, it has to be said. And he even refrained from peeing on the radiator today, even although I left him on the loose at home while we went to the gym: he's doing his best!

• Mhairi says:

Hey Guys

That was a great video, how cool.

I am sorry you are not enjoying being home, but why not book another holiday for maybe march time to the other side of the world where the weather is going to be fab (e.g. the Dominican perhaps?)

x
    .-= Mhairi´s last blog ..And then the bubble burst….. =-.

• Simone says:

that video is so cool! (:

too bad you're not happy to be home. remember: shopping fixes everything! (;

You know, I would normally agree with that, but this time not even the prospect of shopping is cheering me up. I'll go anyway, though. Just to make sure.

• Hayley says:

Post holiday blues are the worst :( It looks like you had a fantastic time away though.

I absolutely love your shoes – especially the flat ones you were wearing when you were walking away/toward the camera. Where did you get them? I want some! lol.
    .-= Hayley´s last blog ..36 ~ The one where Hayley said goodbye =-.

• What an adorable video! Rubin sounds like my mom's dog. So small, yet is a panting, four-legged garbage can.
    .-= Amanda Nicole´s last blog ..colour palette =-.

• Kristabella says:

Wow, that was a great video! Looks like you had a good time!

I'm sorry you're having some tough post-vacation blues. I think that just means you should move to the States! :)
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..I Need A Vacation From This Holiday =-.

• Terry says:

Thanks for all the lovely comments :)

I usually make a more than one video of each holiday so you may see another one soon :)

• Mhairi says:

I really liked the video – so much so that have said to David that we might employ your services to play around with our wedding video when it is made.

If that's okay?

x
      .-= Mhairi´s last blog ..And then the bubble burst….. =-.

• Hayley says:

Amber- LOVE the new Louboutins!

Terry- Bravo! Great video!
    .-= Hayley´s last blog ..It's a Bittersweet Symphony…wait, no, just sweet right now. =-.

• Lauren says:

I totally get the post holiday blues things.. it's mainly that feeling of loss. Kinda mini-mournin for a place without stuff and hassle and… rain.

I'm glad you had a good time though :)
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..Our right to clothes! The complement challenge! =-.

• Amy says:

In. Love. With. Those. Shoes.

I was hoping for a clip of all of you talking, because even though I know you have Scottish accents I read your blog with an American accent (does that make sense?) and it's a bit of a mind fuck. My favorite part of the video is the shot of the beach balls moving around in the pool. I could probably have watched a full minute of that action.

Oh God, no, I hate my accent too much to ever want to put it on the internet! I love the beachball bit too – especially the way you can see Terry's belly rising and falling really quickly, if you look closely!

• Louise says:

A most excellent video Terry! Well done. Amber, I hope you get over the post holiday blues soon…
    .-= Louise´s last blog ..Claw Clipping =-.

• Sarah says:

Where is your polka dot swimsuit from, please? I'd love one! x

• Danielle says:

AWESOME vid :)

Yeah the lightning storms here are ridiculous. (west palm beach) Yesterday I think I had a heart attack when one struck.

He captured florida pretty well… the white faded pavment, the water, the gorgeous sunsets and the retarded traffic :)

I moved here from a very opposite land. I've come to love it though, I hope you had fun!

Where in Florida did you go?

• wendy says:

I checked your blog tonight as the feed via LJ no longer functions & I just have to say that after a really crappy 14 hour day you guys just made mine. That was a genius vid Terry – go you. And,Amber, sweetie – I'm so pleased you ensured effective shoe shots.