All work, no play, rinse and repeat

Wow, see how easy it is to get out of the habit of blogging when there’s nothing at all happening?

Lately life has entered one of those weird “frantically-busy-but-also-mind-numbingly-boring” phases. In fact, I don’t think I’ve left the house in the past couple of weeks other than to visit the parents/walk the dog/go to the gym. THAT’S how dull it’s been.

Oh, and I started going running. Like, running outside, as opposed to on the treadmill. Because I figured that the coming winter was JUST THE TIME to start a hobby that involves being out of doors all the time. D’oh! I thought it would be fun, though: I had this image of myself, a lonely yet dignified figure, battling bravely through rain, hail and snow to pound those pavements, and saying things like, “I’m just addicted to exercise!” and “It totally clears my mind and gives me, like, space to be ME, you know?”

Of course, I was obviously on crack when I thought these things because I am forced to run through Bandit Country. Well, not “forced” exactly. I mean, no one has actually held a gun to my head and said “Run through Bandit Country, wench! Run like the wind!” Or not yet, anyway. The aforementioned all work/no play scenario means that I just don’t have time to drive somewhere nice to run, though, so Bandit Country it is. And it’s … an experience. I dunno, maybe it’s the same no matter where you run, but people here actually stop and stare as you go by, with their mouths open in astonishment. Yesterday I ran past a group of women with their kids, and they all actually stopped their conversation so they could turn round and watch me. And trust me, I was moving so slowly I was almost going backwards, so they weren’t open mouthed with awe.

Still, at least I’ll be able to run away now if someone tries to attack me with a branch again!

Anyway, I’m going to try and keep at it for… well, a while at least. Maybe until next week, because by then we’ll be deeply into winter here, and I won’t want to leave the house at all. Ever. Terry, meanwhile, is currently in training for a 10k AND a triathlon. Because that’s what kind of crazy HE is. He did ask me to join him in running the 10k, but it cost £16 (Why, I could buy another green dress for that kinda cash!) and you’re not allowed to listen to music while you run. Oh, and it would kill me. Maybe next year lifetime.

• BWC says:

You know, I’ve been wondering for a while- are you secretly Sophie Kinsella?

• Good for you for giving it a go! I've attempted a running routine too many times to count, so I've never experienced that 'runner's high.' Oh, and I've also been cooped up and living the boringest of lives lately. Kinda looking forward to autumn now.
    .-= Amanda Nicole´s last blog ..honest scraps =-.

• Wanderlusting says:

I do that ALL the time. It's always the end of summer when I'm like, better get in shape…and maybe a few months before summer too. But during summer I'm just a big fat lazy slothy pig type woman.
    .-= Wanderlusting´s last blog ..Style Evolution =-.

• Andrea says:

I've recently started running too, except I had not even treadmill experience to my name. I am pathetically training for my first 5K and it involves spending lots of money on shoes that are not heels! No fair!

I do kind of like it though.
    .-= Andrea´s last blog ..Jessica Simpson Thrilled Her Collection Graces Macy’s Windows =-.

• Good for you! I've been planning on starting running again for oh, about the last 6 months. The furthest I've gotten is downloading a running/walking podcast.

And this is why my pants don't fit.
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..A Kind of Drunk Pied Piper =-.

• LizSara says:

Oh Andrea, me too! Not buying heels and getting cushioned trainer socks is the pits!

I'll stop hijacking your blog now Amber…good for running, i got laughed at by drunken teenagers on my first time out and i still do it

• Mhairi says:

Well Done Amber, I am proud of you.

I am also heading out on the paths (although this week not so much) and trying to get into running.

I am currently thinking about signing up for a 10K with David and his dad for New Year's Day as a motivation tool to get me to keep going out running and to stay away from too much of the bad foods over Christmas.

Well done again

x
    .-= Mhairi´s last blog ..Eyebrow update…… =-.

Wow, New Year's Day! That's dedication for you :) I've been following your running reports on Facebook/your blog – sounds like it's going really well! I've been doing 5k runs at the moment, but am already getting bored with running aroud the streets. I need to move to the coast so I can run by the sea or something :)

• Mhairi says:

That is what I have been saying to David – I want to go running on a nice sunny beach somewhere. I got mistaken by the way, it is a 5K on new years day, not 10. I am getting up to about 300 meters without stopping which for 3 weeks isn't to bad, I think anyway.

Let me get a bit better then we could head out together?

x
        .-= Mhairi´s last blog ..All work and no play…… =-.

• Sophie says:

Yay! Exercise is good. Oh my gosh – that's the first time I've heard the chased with a stick story!! SCARY! I would have just turned and run, full pelt, screaming loudly and crying. At least you had the guts to yell at him.

• Running. God. I keep tinking about that. So far that is as far as I have got!
    .-= mysterycreature´s last blog ..Vintage 1930’s Fashion =-.