The birds! The birds!

This week we’ve had a new visitor here in The Shrieking Shack (if you’ve ever had birds, you’ll know exactly why I call it that): everyone say hi to Cheeky!

cheeky!

In this picture I am willing him NOT to poop on my shoulder later. Clearly my mad bird-hypnotising skillz failed me on this occasion, though, because right after this photo was taken… he pooped on my shoulder. Ah, well, you win some, you lose some.

Cheeky belongs to my sister-in-law, Lila, who is currently off on her holidays, and his presence brought our total bird-inhabitant total up to two, because I forgot to mention that Pepe the Parrot has also been with us for the past four weeks:

That one time when Pepe escaped

That one time when Pepe escaped

Pepe is the chief shrieker in our house. Here is the sound that Pepe makes, although I have no idea if this will work:

Pepe screaming like a banshee

He went home on Wednesday, so now we’re back to just the one feathered friend. Unlike Pepe, though, whose entire existence is focused around the act of HATING EVERYONE with a fiery HATE, Cheeky is a friendly little chap, who will come and perch on your shoulder, before pooping on it. His shrieks are also much quieter: in fact, I have christened him “Craig  David”, because like the celebrated songster, Cheeky mostly likes to repeat his own name every few seconds. So we get, “Cheeky! Cheeky, Cheeky! Budgie!” interspersed with some long monologues spoken in a man’s voice, which can be really quite freaky the first time you hear it. And also the second.

Cheeky is also very much in love with Terry:

cheeky-and-terry

Terry just happened to be resting his hands on the desk like that, and Cheeky flew over to perch on them. I swear, it’s just like living inside a Disney movie ALL THE TIME. If we could just teach him to clean the house for us, while whistling a happy song, that would be great!

Cheeky goes home tomorrow, though, so the Disney-ness will end, and it’ll be just us and Rubin again. I think Rubin will be happy about this. We, on the other hand, will quite miss the little guy…

Tags

• Kathleen says:

Love the Craig David reference. Whatever happened to him?

Cheeky is cute (save the pooping, but birds will be birds)! How did he get that name?

I'm not actually sure, to be honest: I think they probably just liked the name! It does suit him though – he's a very sweet little thing :)

.-= Amber´s last blog ..And then the bird totally pooped on my shoulder* =-.

• Veronika says:

Oh myyy! They were both so cute! I'm not much of a bird friend myself (there's a nest somewhere outside my window and they can be quite annoying in the early hours..) but these little guys are lovely. And as mentioned above, love the Craig David reference as well. Hahahaa.

• Arrrggghh my ears!!! He sounds like a see-saw in need of some WD40. Fecking birds!
    .-= dressjunkie´s last blog ..Wild Thing =-.

• Awww, I love little feathered and furry visitors! Except for my mom's love bird who is also, ironically, full of hate for everyone and everything.
    .-= Amanda Nicole´s last blog ..buns on film =-.

I think a lot of birds are like that. Pepe is very much a one-man bird – he will decide which person in a group is the one he "likes" (and it always is a man, too – we think he doesn't like women for some reason), and that's the only person he'll allow to touch him, and only then if he's in a good mood!
      .-= Amber´s last blog ..The birds! The birds! =-.

• RhondaB says:

You are so kind to watch people's birds. I would not do that as I really don't care for birds, unless they are flying around outside doing wild bird things. Of course, if they are doing their wild bird thing on my car, then ewwww, I don't care much for them either.

The real reason I decided to post a comment was this article, which made me think of you and also my red-headed cousin, whom I also sent it to. You might find this interesting, if you haven't already seen it.

Thanks for the link – I've heard people say before that redheads have different tolerance for ansthesia etc (and a lower pain threshhold, which I'd say is definitely the case for me!)! Very interesting, though.
      .-= Amber´s last blog ..The birds! The birds! =-.

• Araceli says:

Doesn`t Rubin try to eat either of them? Once I rescued a bird who was freezing outside my window and my dog just went crazy trying to reach him for dinner…seriously. So I thought that was the rule with dogs and birds.

No, Rubin's far more frightened of them than they are of him – if either of them makes a move towards him, he runs away and hides behind my legs. He's a very gentle creature :) We keep a really close eye on him if he's around them, though, needless to say…
      .-= Amber´s last blog ..The birds! The birds! =-.

• I'm not a fan of birds. I think that is from years of living with my sister's albino parakeet.

But I will say, those two birds are adorable. In photos! Across the pond! Not in my house!
    .-= Kristabella´s last blog ..Confessions Of A Reality Show Junkie =-.

• Sophie says:

Ouch! I bet you're glad Pepe is gone! Cheeky is quite cute though. If only animals could clean up after themselves…

• Nina says:

Aww very cute. Cheeky suits him as a name. My dog would eat him though ;)
    .-= Nina´s last blog ..I’m fine but I hear those voices at night sometimes =-.

• Louise says:

I had budgies for many years, and the boy ones can be great pets. The girls, not so much. Glad you enjoyed having one visit.