Three sleeps to go!

Three sleeps to go, people! Three! And you know the one good thing about this whole Ash Cloud O’Doom extravaganza? It means that I’ll be so relieved to be getting on that plane on Saturday morning that I haven’t even bothered to go through my usual “OMG, what if the plane crashes? I bet the plane will crash!” hysteria or anything. Well, I mean, there was that dream in which we became the first people to fly directly through the heart of the ash cloud “Just to see what would happen”, but other than that, SCREW the fear or flying, just get me on that plane, bring me the little miniature bottle of wine or three and let’s get the hell out of Dodge, people, seriously. Also, the Ash Cloud seems to have abated somewhat, so although I hesitate to tempt fate in this way, I’m tentatively hopeful that we’ll be going to Florida this weekend, and that the plane will not crash.

(I am SO dying in a plane crash this weekend, aren’t I? And then all of the advance posts I’ve written for my my blogs will continue to publish on schedule, so it’ll be like I’m speaking to you from beyond the grave. About shoes. Because that’s totally what my ghostly self would return to earth to talk about, isn’t it?)

Anyway, today is my last day of work – or I hope so, anyway. The aim is to have everything finished up by tonight, so I can spend Thursday and Friday cleaning the house, packing my suitcase, re-packing my suitcase, and working my way through my cryptic pre-holiday To-Do list, which simply says things like “eyelashes!” and “Rubin!”. I am AWESOME at this, seriously.

(I will also be spending some of that time going to the dentist to have impressions taken for my next few sets of braces. I am terrified about this, because apparently when I said all that stuff about not being afraid of the dentist, I had yet to know the horror that is having a giant metal tray stuffed into your mouth so you can’t breathe or swallow, and you become convinced you’re going to throw up, and then suffocate, because, well, there’s a huge metal tray blocking your mouth. Terrified.)

Our flight is at stupid  o’clock on Saturday morning (I’ve just been thinking about this, and I actually can’t remember ever catching a flight that wasn’t at stupid o’clock in the morning, other than the couple that were at stupid o’clock at night, that is. Why do they do that to you, do you think? Is it so you’re so exhausted you become more docile and easy to manage? Because that doesn’t work with me, airlines, just FYI.), so once again we’ll be spending Friday night at my parents place, which is closer to the airport. Rubin, meanwhile, will be spending the next three weeks with Terry’s mum, who I’m sure is preparing a fattened calf as we speak, in preparation for his visit. He’s also in disgrace, having repeatedly rooted through Terry’s open suitcase, and twice removed and chewed a tube of toothpaste.

(“WHO DID THIS?!” Terry asked me incredulously, holding the mangled tube aloft, as if there was a possibility that I had got down on my hands and knees next to the suitcase and ripped the tube apart with my teeth. Me.)

(Wow, I’ve really used a LOT of parentheses in this post, haven’t I? Sorry. I’m over-excited.)

For the next three days, then, I’ll be living in that Limbo Land of pre-holiday preparation, where everything you do is either just marking time or getting ready for all the fun you’ll be having this time next week. I know I shouldn’t wish it away, and God knows, the passing of time continues to freak me out good, but honestly, I wish these next three days AWAY. Begone! Haste ye, oh weekend, when I will be back in my favourite place in the world, for three whole weeks.

First, though, I have exactly 11 blog posts to write. Better get on with that, then…

• Selina says:

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Yay you! I have a countdown clock on my netbook telling me exactly how long it is till our trip to England (1 month, 7 days, 8 hours, 37 minutes and … 51 seconds, just FYI), and if I’m this excited now I can’t imagine what I’ll be like three days before we leave. I may pop. Have an awesome time, but don’t forget to come back because y’know your fans (that’s us) are totally going to miss you.
    .-= Selina´s last blog ..Your daily dose of pretty: Hen and Chicks Lasercut ring stack from LicketyCut jewellery =-.

Haha, I had a countdown on my phone, but it became redundant when I realised I had a running tally in my head! I’m sure one month, 7 days, and probably even LESS than 8 hours 37 minutes by the time you read this will be over before you know it :)

• arlene says:

Very jealous. 22 more sleeps here and I simply cannot wait! (even tho I will have to… obviously).
    Not jealous of your mode of transport. I don’t fly. Like ever. Totally not worth it as I become an A1 Loony Tune locked in a plane. I AM the woman shouting “We’re all going to dieeeeeee” and howling like a Banshee while rocking back and forth. You get the picture.

We are ferrying it over to your homeland from Belfast, driving down to Southampton and boarding a Royal Carribean Italian Med Cruise. *happy sigh*

Enjoy Florida! Never been, probably never likely to be, unless they start cruising there… xx
    .-= arlene´s last blog ..Baaaaa Baaaaa =-.

Oh trust me, I’m exactly the same – if it was at all feasible to sail there I’d be doing it. (Confession: I have actually considered that). It’s not just The Fear, either, I hate everything about flying – this is why it’s unlikely that I’ll ever see Australia :)

A Med Cruise sounds fabulous :)

• MsVeve says:

Have a wonderful holiday!!! Still cannot believe you’re just taking 4 pairs of shoes thou :D planning a lot of shopping? :))

• Roisin says:

Yay! I’m so happy for you and Terry (and for Rubinman too, sounds like he’s going to get quite the spoiling when you’re away) you certainly both deserve it. I haven’t started my Paris countdown yet, but I’ve only two more days left at work…. and I bought a new dress today in celebration (shocker, I know) so hurrah! Have a wonderful time x
    .-= Roisin´s last blog ..I am NOT interested in starting some married man’s car! =-.

• Lindsay says:

Enjoy your trips… and try not to freak out. The evil volcano will NOT stop you.
    .-= Lindsay´s last blog ..New Blog! =-.

• Sammy says:

Oh I’m sure you’ll will have a lovely time! Although your only planning to buy one pair of shoes?!?!

And no count down here I’m afraid, have not been on holiday for 5 years now :(

• Sarah says:

Hmm…my count won't start until the end of my degree that I haven't started yet. Vicarious holiday it is then…

Have a really fun time over the next three weeks! I'm glad the ash cloud was a good therapy for flying fears. Better than hypnosis I'm sure.

• Sandy says:

Oohhh…I'm very jel! I too go on my hols this weekend….unfortunately mine is camping……….in this country.

With the rain.

And I don't have rain proof shoes. Ah well….I'll look stylish but have foot rot when I get home!

Have a FAB time….can't wait to see what beee-yooo-tiful shoes you buy this time!

Enjoy your holiday! And you really should come to Australia one day – I promise the trip would be worth it.
    .-= Tracey´s last blog ..Shoe Retrospective =-.

• Louise says:

Have a MOST fantastic time on your holiday!!! and as per my country-man (or woman) above, I really think you should consider Australia next time ;)!

P.S. I know the flight is too long for you, but I’m just sayin’ OK?
    .-= Louise´s last blog ..Mail =-.

• Rock Hyrax says:

Urgh, I’d forgotten about the tooth impression tray: the way you become convinced that the gunk is going to fill up your mouth (given that it starts to squidge up when they jam the metal think against your teeth). I’d have thought they’d have some nice ultra-modern laser thing instead that doesn’t make you gag and only takes a few seconds…

Anyway, have a good ash-free flight and sunburn-free holiday!