Homecoming

Well, folks, I brought an unexpected souvenir back from Florida: a heavy cold, which arrived the day before we left and gleefully packed its bags and hopped along with me for the plane ride home this morning/yesterday/whenever the hell that was. Don’t worry, though: I may have taken something with me (other than the five pairs of shoes, seven (!) dresses, two jackets and numerous other items, that is), but I left Florida something to remember me by, in the shape of my favourite blue jacket, which was last seen in the terminal at Sanford airport, and hasn’t been since. You’d think I’d be used to it by now, this relentless losing of clothes, but nope, each new loss is like a dagger to my heart, seriously.

Also lost: almost all of the video Terry took of our vacation, which he downloaded onto my laptop, and which my laptop proceeded to EAT FOR DINNER. Yeah. (Yes, we’ve tried every bit of recovery software known to man. No, it didn’t really work, although we did manage to recover about 60% of the footage, which I shall no doubt bore you with later.)

So, I’m home. I haven’t slept since Friday night, but I don’t feel remotely tired so I’ve just been outside and weeded the garden, which had returned to the wild during our absence, while Terry mowed the lawn. As I sat there, tugging up weeds (or possibly flowers: you never really know with me) with my bare hands, a plane crossed the sky above us, and I sat back and watched it. “Isn’t it strange to think,” I said to Terry, “that just a few hours ago we were up there in the sky, and a few hours before that we were all the way across the Atlantic? And now here we are, pulling up weeds in our excuse for a garden.”

It IS weird. Every time I take a flight, in fact, it reminds me of how small the world really is. It’s just not small enough, though, unfortunately, and sadly for me, the post-holiday blues have kicked in with a vengeance. From the moment I got up on Saturday morning and started systematically erasing all evidence of my existence from our rented house, to the sad opening of my suitcase on the wrong side of the Atlantic, every unpacked item provoking a new memory (“Last time I wore this, we went…” “Oh, this is what I wore that time we…”), I have felt like crying. God, aren’t first world problems a bitch?

Anyway. I should go and take some cold remedy and get some sleep. Hopefully I’ll be feeling much better in the morning…

• Erik (Sorrento) says:

Florida makes everyone get a cold, except alligators. (Do alligators get colds? I'd like to see an alligator sneezing.) Germs spread like crazy there.

I almost always catch cold as soon as I arrive in a new place – think it's the plane that does it – but weirdly, I think that's the first time it's happened to me there. It certainly made flying even less fun, that's for sure!

• Veronika says:

Ohh man, I'm so sorry about the cold and the lost jacket :/// I HATE losing things. But sweetie, you had an AMAZING holiday, so don't feel down. This year I won't be able to afford a holiday at all so I just remember last year's trip to Tel Aviv and it's not so bad :)) And hope you'll post the footage soon :)

I was so annoyed with myself! I realised right after takeoff, and could even picture where I left it. All the way home, I just kept thinking about how I was getting further and further away from my poor little jacket. I've emailed the airport, but I think the chances are very slim…

• Ally C says:

WELCOME HOME :D

hope you feel better, colds are the worse thing. Especially after a vacation…

Thanks! I've been feeling a bit better today after a good night's sleep (I say "good" – I woke up in the middle of the night in an absolute panic because I couldn't work out where in the world I was. It was good other than that, though…) – apparently I looked "hungover" yesterday!

• Roisin says:

I do feel your pain. I suffered real grief when Nic and I got home from Paris. In fact I'm only now able to talk about it without suffering a pang of 'But I'm not in Paris any more!!' I'm so glad you had such a good time, and I hope that your cold eases up soon. Wear your red Louboutins in bed, is my suggestion! x

• Cookie says:

I hope you get well soon, summer colds seem like the nastiest thing ever. Who gets a cold in the summer?! (we do, that's who).

And now that you're home, your house won't feel so lonely anymore, and I bet Rubinman missed you tons too!