Friday Photo: Best Joke Ever

Rubin and I just heard the best joke ever:

We’re totally not going to tell you what it was though. Sorry.

Today I decided, in my infinite wisdom, that I would start up a Tumblr. Well, all the cool kids were doing it, and you know, me, if there’s a bandwagon in town, I’ll… well, I’ll probably wait a year or so and then I’ll jump right on it. Slowly. (Also, it bothered me that there was a blogging platform I hadn’t used. )

So I got me a Tumblr. Five minutes after I published my first post, I got my first spam comment.

Seven minutes after I published my first post, I got my first piece of personal abuse, from someone telling me I “look so much better when I don’t show my face.”

I deleted the Tumblr. I figure people have enough ways to abuse me on the Internet already.

(Seriously, though, maybe I was just unlucky, but worst blogging experience ever. I’d been wondering for ages why it was so popular and… I’m still wondering. Anyone?)

p.s. Nominate  TheFashionPolice.net in the Cosmo Blog Awards? Or Shoeperwoman.com? Or hey-dollface.com? Pretty please?

• Rock Hyrax says:

Looks like you're both calling to the rest of the pack to go troll-hunting!

• Rock Hyrax says:

PS, done FashionPolice @ Cosmo. Don't know what minimum number of nominations is for each; anyone else doing similarly may want to make a note of which one "done"…

Thank you! I think you can only do one nomination per IP – I reckon TFP probably has the best chance of getting anywhere, but any nominations are very, very welcome :)

• Róisín says:

That person is an idiot, possibly with some kind of Cousin It fetish.

• MallyMon says:

Unfortunately some people are just plain jealous and tend to assume that good looking people have no feelings. It’s a shame but – well, that’s them, not you. At least you and Rubin can laugh about it, and that’s always good therapy!

• Louise says:

Have obediently voted. Probable the first and last time I have ever visited that site (cosmo), at least until instructed to vote again next year ;)

• Keris says:

How did you even get comments to work on Tumblr? I’ve never managed it.

I just signed up for Disqus, and then put the ID they give you into the box in the "appearance" settings (as far as I can remember!). Not all Tumblr templates work with it, apparently, so that might be why you couldn't get it to work. I thought it was a bit weird that it didn't have comments anyway, though – I know it's supposed to be blogging at it's most basic, but it was like getting into a time machine and going back to the internet in 2003 :)

• Keris says:

I have tried that before and it's worked briefly, but then the formatting's gone shonky. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to filter the templates to show you which ones do accept comments. It's a right pain in the backside.

• Mycroft says:

Amber, I was led to you by Militant Ginger and have been absorbed by your ramblings for almost an hour now – great stuff. Just wanted to be a positive commentator rather than your recent experience. Sorry about the sunglasses. Great stuff, keep the faith.

Mycroft,

Oxford

• Kat says:

What is wrong with people?! Best off Tumblr if it’s home to such weirdos. Vote for Hey Dollface! I love this blog. I have similar colouring to you and everything that you’ve recommended that I tried has been fabulous. Thankyee! xx

• Kat says:

* Of course I meant to write ‘I voted for…’. But ‘Vote for Hey Dollface’ also works…I’m gonna get a t-shirt printed Napoleon Dynamite-style (I realise this makes no sense if you’ve not seen the film!)
    Okay I’m going now.
    x

• Diane says:

Oh, I love Tumblr. I don't know why they don't make it easier to add comments, but the idea is really more that you reblog other people's posts (sections of, anyway) and add commentary/opinion (politely!), and they do the same. You can follow people and "like"/reblog right from your dashboard, and there's a pretty good (and big) community. Plus the different post formats are all pre set-up (audio, photo, quote, text etc) and you can add a bookmarklet to share to Tumblr to your [whatever the bit of every website below the URL bar is called] which makes it really easy to post stuff. So… that's what I like about it.

What I hate about it is that you had such a terrible experience. That's really sad. I don't think I've ever even had a comment from someone I don't know on there. Maybe there's a "pick on attractive women" contingent on there or something? Shameful.

• Natasha says:

I love this picture!

Amber, I’ve been working as a One-to-one tutor for the past couple of weeks and have been spending a lot of time in a stuffy room waiting for truanting pupils to be found. To pass the time I’ve been messing about on-line but the school filters are extremely fierce so many of the sites I love have been blocked (not because I look at dodgy stuff you understand, but because they don’t allow blogspot or wordpress).
    Fourtunately your sites have not been blocked so I’ve been able to read Forever Amber right back to 2006!

Thank you Amber for making me laugh, making me think, and keeping me sane(ish).

• Great picture!
    Tumblr? I’d managed not to hear about that one til today – another one to avoid, methinks. Thanks for test-driving it, Amber.

• Kate says:

I stumbled across your blog. I love it and am going to poke around a little bit. Don’t worry, I’ll put everything back where I found it!

• Please write some more Forever Amber posts soon. I miss them! You're so witty and funny. I miss them!

:'(

• <blockquote cite="comment-8550">

Please write some more Forever Amber posts soon. I miss them! You’re so witty and funny. I miss them!:’(

See I even told you I missed them twice. You have to write something else on this blog now! :)

Oh, thanks, that’s so nice of you to say! I’ve actually decided to just let this one go, now, though – I may change my mind at some point in the future, I guess, but for now I don’t have any plans to start it up again. Thanks so much for your comment, though, I really appreciate it!

• Grace says:

Oh no, you are the bookmark I check most often and I was hoping the slightly warmer weather had led to an extended holiday :-(

i bet there are many more 'silent' fans like me out there!

Hope you'll change your mind as my day isn't quite the same without my dose of carefully crafted observasionism x

• Katie says:

Oh Amber, no more hilarious Forever Amber posts, no more Nigel updates, no more laugh 'til I cry holiday photos?

I know sometimes you have to put down a ball to keep on juggling the rest in a professional fashion, but I for one will miss the smile that I always knew was coming when I saw a new post.

Will keep Forever Amber on my radar just in case you ever change your mind :-)

It wasn't because of that, it was actually just because no one was reading it and it seemed pointless to get on updating it – I felt a bit like I was talking to myself! My parents have told me they miss it, though, so I'm going to give it one last go, just as soon as Terry can finish doing some updates to the design :)