Hair Products: Why are redheads always overlooked?

Well, Dollfaces, I’m pleased to report that last week’s haircut was far less traumatic than I’d anticipated and so, to celebrate, I headed to Boots to buy myself some new hair products. (Is it just me who always wants to buy new hair products after a cut? I always feel like the new hair deserves it somehow. Or that I deserve it, for having survived the trauma of a haircut…)

Specifically, I wanted to stock up on some of John Frieda’s Luminous Color Glaze in ‘Radiant Red’, which, as longtime readers will know, is a product I absolutely love. As well as leaving my hair very shiny and silky, it also makes my natural red that bit more vibrant, so it’s a product I’ve been repurchasing ever since my first review of it, in 2008. Lately, though, it’s been getting harder and harder to find, and I soon found out why: it’s been discontinued, along with the ‘Sheer Blonde’ version of the glaze, although the clear and brunette versions still seem to be being sold. (I emailed John Frieda last week to ask if there are any plans to replace the red and blonde versions, but haven’t had a response from them, so I’ll update this if and when I hear back from them).

Well, I was crushed. It’s always a blow when a favourite product is discontinued, but presumably these hadn’t been selling well enough to justify keeping them in production (it’s entirely possible that I was buying ALL the red glazes, actually…) so I took it on the chin, and begun a search for something to replace it. Here’s the thing though: I didn’t find much. Our local branch of Boots is a big ‘un, and has a huge section dedicated to hair products, but while I found lots of shampoos and conditioners (and even mousses and other styling products) dedicated to making blonde hair blonder and brunette hair browner, other than the John Frieda range, I found very little for us redheads. In fact, a quick glance at that aisle would have easily convinced visitors from another planet that those were the only two hair colours found on planet earth. (I suspect people with jet black hair possibly have the same issues)

When I got home, I got online, and had a quick look for products designed for redheads. That search did turn up a few options, but most seemed to be from higher-end brands (Aveda’s Madder Root Shampoo and Conditioner, for instance, sounds great, but at £22 per bottle, it’s out of my price range.). Of course, I understand that this lack of choice is probably financially motivated. There just aren’t as many redheads as there are blondes and brunettes, so obviously there won’t be as much of a demand for products to suit our colouring, but at the same time, we’re not SO rare that there wouldn’t be any demand at all, and my online searches revealed lots of other redheads, both natural and otherwise, in search of products to enhance our colour, so there could be a great opportunity for some brand to capitalise on that.

In the meantime, I fell back on one of my own favourites – Boots’ Botanics ‘Radiant Red’ which is good, affordable and therefore probably doomed to be discontinued any day now.

Any other redheads out there? What products are you using on your hair?

Tags

• Rebecca says:

When I saw the title and the picture I had a feeling what you were going to be finding scarce, which is funny because I can think of a bunch of things you could use. All the products I’m aware of are salon products but Aveda costs way more than most stuff. There’s a great pigment-depositing shampoo by Wella- the range is called Biotouch here but I think it’s called Lifetex in Britain. It’s just a shampoo with red in it but it’s a really strong one with instant results that last a few days. I use the brown version and it’s fantastic.
    There are a few salon ones that don’t cost as much as Aveda so I hope you find something!

• Dani says:

Hi :) I’m naturally brunette but I use Caca Rouge from Lush which makes my hair look pretty damn red, maybe it might help brighten your natural red a bit aswell? It’s not THAT expensive, can’t recall excatly how much it is at the moment though :). Hope you find something that helps!

• Ana says:

I’m am original redhead but i don’t use specific products because they don’t exist. Like this you wrote about, for me it’s made for dyed hair.

• Alex says:

There are a LOT of people with dyed red hair, I’m shocked they’ve discontinued the John Frieda, I used it when I dyed my hair red and I loved it too. I think Loreal or someone used to do a shampoo for red heads, as well as Umberto Gianini I think it was, in Boots.

• Tak says:

You might want to try this: Make a mixture of 1/2 cup beet juice, 1/2 cup carrot juice, and 1/2 cup lemon juice. Pour over clean, damp hair, cover with a shower cap, and heat it for ten minutes with a hair dryer on medium (gently! Don’t want to melt the cap), or go sit in the sun for an hour. Then, rinse and shampoo.

It’s supposed to be a red hair shine enhancer, though I haven’t tried it since I’m a brunette.

• Nikki G says:

I am not a natural redhead, but a dyed one. I haven’t found any products to boost the red in my hair, so I am desperately clinging on to my color protecting shampoo by Pureology and Joico.

• Minka says:

Well, apparently red haired women are not the only ones with this kind of problem. I’m not a brunette or a blond, no, I have black hair (not natural, though). And I need something to boost the shine and liven up the colour a bit, but I simply can’t find anything… Is there such a product at all? Or should I stick with things for dyed hair instead?

• Gemma says:

I wrote a post a while ago about making a colour conditioner to keep my (unnatural) red hair fresh, you could easily vary the amount of semi-permanent colour to just give more shine and less pigment!

Also, I have a box of the John Frieda glossing stuff sat in my bathroom cupboard doing nothing; if you’d like it, you’re more than welcome to it – just email over your address! :)

• Dollface says:

That’s so kind of you, Gemma – thanks so much for the offer! I actually think I’m going to persevere with my hunt for a replacement: now that I know it’s been discontinued I’m at that stage where I’m trying to wean myself of it without getting even more attached, but if I can’t find something I may just take you up on that :)

• Mellaine says:

Gemma: I would be so happy to take your supply of John Frieda products off your hands! I also emailed the company months ago and received a response that made me cry! No more red glaze or shampoo or conditioner from them at all. Really having a hard time finding anything comperable in Texas. I am a natural read head and am still looking for products.

• You’re right, the Aveda Madder Root *is* expensive but it is worth it….it lasts a very long time, too. It’s very concentrated and you don’t need a lot. Worth the initial splurge when you work out how little it costs a day, or just do a weekly touch up to make it go even further.

• Pea says:

I really didn’t like that John Freida stuff :-( it left me hair all lank!

I’m not a natural red head (much to my dismay – The Little Mermaid has soooo much to answer for) but I have been red many, many times (it’s an addiction).

I really like Wella Lifetex Color Reflex shampoo and masque for red hair. T’was very good and definitely helped keep my hair as red as possible. I think it’d be quite awesome to use if you were a luckly natural red head.

I have also heard lots of buzz about (but not tried myself) Bumble and Bumbles products for red hair… they’re meant to be brilliant, but I’m not sure of the availability in the UK unfortunately (and they’re expensive!!).

I do envy you – your hair is beautiful! :-)

• Sidneya astrophysics says:

Hi there i’m new here, but i’m already a fan of your hair *.*, well good news o/i discovered they still sell this product on ebay, i used one bottle and loooooved *_* and i will get a few bottles for me before they run out =[ well like pokemon we gotta catch Them All o/.

sorry about my english i'm from brazil =]