Beauty Products I Loved: October 2010

I can’t quite believe it’s the end of October already – it feels like just a couple of days ago that I was putting together my favourite beauty products of September, but rather than dwelling on the speedy passing of time, here’s a quick look at what I’ve been using most of this month:

The Bumpit

When I originally reviewed the Bumpit, I liked the look it created, but couldn’t really imagine wearing it much. Oh, how times have changed! All of those beehive hairdos on the runways and in magazines lately have made my love of big hair return with a vengeance! I’ve tried lots of different ways to create the look, but backcombing just doesn’t work for me (and leaves my hair in a mess, too) and everything else just fell out, so this month I went back to the Bumpit, and have been using it quite a bit. It’s not perfect, but it’s the easiest way I’ve found to create this kind of look, and despite my reservations, it doesn’t budge once it’s on, so this month it’s finally started to earn its keep!

A tub of Vaseline.

Yes, I know it’s not exactly glamorous, but seriously: over the past few months, I’ve tried everything to get my cuticles to look like they belong on actual, human hands, rather than on the paws of some strange reptile. I don’t know why I bothered, though: I should just have gone straight to my trusty old tub of Vaseline and saved myself some money. After just one application – ONE application, people – the offending cuticles were already starting to look better, and while they’re still not quite up to scratch, there’s a definite improvement. Thanks, Vaseline, I’ll never doubt you again…

Wella Reflex Color Reflex Mask

I wrote about this earlier this month, but suffice to say I’m still liking it enough that I’m probably going to splash out on the shampoo, too. It’s not totally without its issues: I’ve found that over-use of it can result in a rather “fake” looking colour, but it’s still pretty good if used in moderation.

Lacura Beauty Concealer Pen

I love this. It’s £3.99, and it’s basically a cheap version of Yves Saint Laurent’s Touche Eclat, but the colour is a better match for my skin, so I actually prefer it to the (much more expensive) YSL version.

What have you been loving this month?

Tags

• Rebecca says:

The wella shampoo is definitely worth it! Anywho, my favorites:

Illamasqua Intense Lipgloss in Temper
    BEST LIPGLOSS IN THE WORLD. Without hyperbole. This stuff is awesome, and Temper (which is a bright blood orange-y colour) is a great summerier substitute for my red lips. It’s pretty long wearing and a beautiful colour.

KMS CurlUp (pretty much the whole range)
    Curl Up Shampoo, Conditioner and styling products all have humectants to keep frizz at bay, and that’s pretty indispensible during a Queensland summer. It’s made a real difference, and the styling products are marvelous.

OPI polish in Cajun Shimp
    I got a manicure with this colour, and instantly rushed out to get a bottle. It’s a corally pinky red that’s the perfect summer colour for me, and the quality is what you’d expect from OPI.

MAC Bite Of An Apple Blush (Venemous Villains)
    The Villains range was a lot of fun, but this blush is the real keeper for me. It’s a unique colour from MAC, and you only need the tiniest bit of it to give a really punchy coral glow.

It’s been a pretty good beauty month!

• Rebecca says:

Revlon Nail Lacquer in Chilli — I love it! It’s darker red, so it’s better for fall, and it doesn’t chip. Plus, it’s only $3.99 at Target.
    Herbal Essences Long-term Relationship leave-in conditioner — for long hair. It prevents split ends (literally, I’ve had maybe four this entire month) and moisturizes your hair so it’s really silky without being icky.
    CoverGirl Perfect Point Plus eye pencil — I got the charcoal colour, and it is fabulous. It glides on really smoothly and never leaks.
    L’Oreal Telescopic Explosion Mascara — my new favourite mascara! I would honestly bring it with me to the proverbial desert island. Not kidding.

• Karen says:

I tried red lipstick this month! :)

I’ve always had trouble finding a good red for my coloring, but for Halloween, I’m dressing as Wilma Flintstone, so I decided I *needed* a good red. So, I went out with the intention of looking at L’Oreal Infallible reds, but saw that Maybelline Superwear is basically the same thing, but it was on sale for buy one, get one 50% off. So, I bought the Maybelline in Ruby and Raspberry. Raspberry turned out to be way too pink, but Ruby is PERFECT! I love it, and I’ve started wearing it 3-4 days/week. The long-wearing effect is also impressive. It only comes off when I eat greasy foods. Otherwise, it stays all day. Love it!

• Moniek says:

I love Vaseline! I use it on my eyes everytime before I go to bed instead of an eyecream and it works perfect.

• karenw says:

I am still in love with my benefit eye bright, bad gal and it stick (free with a mag in june?!) and highbeam. I am in a phase of wearing bright pink YSL lip gloss, it makes me feel glam and stays on for ages. I have rediscovered my ghd hair straighteners and have been using them for curling/body when I have time. I also love my collection 2000 the cheek of it (something like that?) which is a cheapy version of benetint. I really want to try the nail stickers you wrote about, so they may join the list!

• Pea says:

This month I’ve been loving:

MAC lipstick in ‘Please Me’ – it’s a really lovely cross between coral and pink and it’s matte too, my favourite finish as it’s easier than glossy colours to wear.
    Carmex has made it’s way back into my arsenal again, I love how smooth my lips are when I use this – it really is better than any other lip treatment.
    Revlon Colorstay in Ivory for dry skin – thank for you introducing me to this foundation!
    MAC gel eyeliner (can’t remember the exact description but it’s the one that comes in the little tub). This is AMAZING and the best eyeliner I’ve ever used, with a little narrow brush it’s so easy to create perfect winged eyeliner!