Pick My Next Little Black Dress

So, waaay the hell back at the start of this year, Shoeperwoman.com won a blog competition, and the prize was a Karen Millen gift card. This was tremendously exciting to me, obviously (in fact, if you heard a faint, but distinct shriek of excitement sometime in January of this year, that was probably me. SO much better than the bacon and eggs I once won in a raffle!), but there was one small problem: at the time I won my gift card, the store was full of fabulous party dresses, and, gorgeous though they were, I knew that buying one of them would really be a waste of money (or of store credit, rather), because I never, ever go anywhere that requires me to wear that kind of dress. The beautiful dress, then, would simply hang in my closet unworn, and that would be a crime (the thought of buying clothes and not wearing them makes me itchy. The waste!), so I cunningly held off until the winter stock arrived, and, with it, some dresses I’d actually have a chance of wearing in my lifetime.

Now, however, I have a new problem: which one to choose? (Yes, it’s a First World Problem if ever I heard one, and I am a lucky, lucky girl to have such “problems” to grapple with!) I can’t decide so I’m going to let you choose:

Dress # 1:

This one was instinctively my favourite: because I’m permanently freezing, I love dresses with sleeves, and they’re actually quite hard to find. (Why do so many stores produce dresses with short or three-quarter length sleeves during the winter? I always have to wear a cardigan or something over the top, or a long-sleeved t-shirt underneath and, well, it can look quite odd.) This also has a fabulous, film noir kind of look to it, but, with my ghostly skin, could just end up looking a little too severe. Hmm.

Dress # 2:

Totally simple, but hey, it worked for Audrey Hepburn, and you just can’t go wrong with a little black dress, can you? (Well, OK, you can. But not with this one.) Short sleeves, but a cut that would easily allow me to wear something over or under it.

Dress # 3:

Military style, great with long boots and, OK, elbow length sleeves, but I reckon I could deal with it.

Oh, I can’t decide. I’m leaning towards number one, but then there’s number two. And, oh, hey, number three could look great with those boots I bought last year.

Which should I go for?

EDITED TO ADD: Thanks for your feedback, everyone – I’ve ordered number one and am just waiting for it to arrive!

• Roisin says:

I’m casting my vote for number one. At first glance I liked the second one better but I think that the first one has everything the second one has, with sleeves. You’re totally right about dresses with sleeves being hard to find. Also, it’s LOVELY :)

• Teresa says:

The first one is BEAUTIFUL!!!

• Bjarney Inga says:

Number one all the way1

• Number One by about 100 miles. I think you’ll need to wear it with an up-do (Bee hive! Yay!) to fit with the style, but you’ll look AMAZING! xx

• Moni says:

Although dress #1 is pretty, personally I prefer #2. It's a bit more versatile in its plainness, and you could style it for summer or winter.

• Cristina says:

Another vote for number one!

• Terry says:

I vote for you being freezing. #2 :)

• Kate says:

#1. And only so I may live vicariously through you. Because YOWZA. Love it!

(PS – I think now I must wear black today. You have inspired me! Though this will probably manifest itself as a cardigan… :-P)

• Katie says:

OOOh, love them all, but my vote goes for number 1 – wouldn’t it be great to wear a dress without something underneath or over the top of it! :D

• Hayley says:

Number 1!

• Nina says:

Number 2 is my favourite. You’re right – so Audrey! Cool blog header, btw :)

• Rebecca says:

I was going to say the first, but then I took a good long look at them (as I usually do with Karen Millen dresses)and I actually think the third dress would suit you best. But I think that’s just me….

• Steph says:

Probably number one (so glamorous!) but I have a soft spot for 3 as well.

• Amy says:

Number one! The long sleeves are just wonderful.

• Karen says:

For me it would depend what kind of other LBD’s you already have in your closet. If you already have one with long sleeves, I’d go for #2 or #3, and if you already have one that’s sleeveless or short-sleeved, I’d go for #1 or #3.

All that being said, I was drawn to #3. I loved the military styling that make it a little more unique than “just” an ordinary LBD.

Good luck choosing.

• Alex says:

Because I, personally, would like wearing number one the most, I’m tempted to say that one, but I think that with your willowy shape and amazing hair you will look incredibly good in number two. I think number three is lovely, but the extra detail might swamp you (although if you’ve tried it on and know that’s not the case I do like its slightly offbeat nature). I think work the pale and interesting (I’m one of this tribe myself) by going bare-armed in the summer, and dress up with a contrasting cardie / top in the winter.

But think about it… number two, heels, beehive. You know it’ll look good. ;)

• Nikki G says:

I would go with number 1. So pretty!

• jules says:

number 1. i’m sure you’d look stunning in all, but #1, its something else…

• Mhairi says:

I prefer number 2, with number 3 a close second.

• Lauren says:

Love number one as well. Stylish, timeless, and structured all in one. I want it. Can we share?! ;)

• Lauren says:

Number 2! That Breakfast at Tiffanys look never goes out of style! So chic!

• mirmur says:

LOVE dress number 1! I know I haven’t ever commented, and this will sound creepy, but I read your blog since forever and I think number one would look best on you. It has such a beautiful structure, and I feel like your hair would look smashing projected on the long sleeves :)

• michelle says:

Given the weather.. and the fact that you waited for the winter stock to come in… i’d say “go for number one” ! Long-sleeved LBDs are hard to find.. and this one looks totally amazing !
    Other than that, 2 and 3 are both grest… if i had the money, i’d buy all :)

• Jazz says:

I’d say number three personally. But they’re all lovely.

• lila says:

I say one, Maria says three!

• Sarah says:

Number one! I too get very cold, and like you said, it’s rare to find a dress with sleeves in the winter. :)

• liz says:

I would have said no. 1, but having just looked at the KM website it is described as backless!! Further investigation shows it has a deep V back, so you’ll be freezing in it. Best go for no. 2, you can always wear a sheer chiffon blouse or silk sweater underneath it in the winter(or the ubiquitous cardi) and it will look fab in the summer.

Thanks for the votes everyone – I went with number one in the end, which I think was the most popular: now just have to wait for it to arrive!

• Amber, so ELATED you left a comment so I could discover your fantastic blog! Love it! I’m following you on Bloglovin’ (#20!) and have added you to my Blogroll page. I love when I discover another feisty fashionista!

♥ V
    twitter: @gritandglamour

PS: Dress 1 is HOTNESS.

• Megan says:

I like number 1 the most.

• Lauren says:

Dress One! You said yourself it’s hard to find dresses with longer sleeves and this has them. Plus it’s a gorgeous dress with lovely tailoring.

• Issie says:

Number one is amazing- is classic and beautiful! And you know it won't date. Number two would be tricky to pull off. And from photos etc i think you'd look really amazing in number one!

• Nicola says:

Number 1 is amazing!! :o)

• Rach says:

I vote for number 2. I really really like number 1, but I think #2 would be easier to style, and you could probably get more wear out of it through the seasons.

• I have read so many posts regarding the blogger lovers however this
    post is genuinely a nice piece of writing, keep it up.