Dreaming of December…

… because in December I’m going to be back here:

Tenerife, Canary Islands. I’m up in the mountains at the time, which is why I look so omgfreezing. I’d also just had the flu, thus ruining most of the first week of our trip. And we’d managed to get the hire car impounded. We’re going to try to do better this time around. Mostly, though, we’re going to see these guys:

Three monkeys! Awwww!

We booked late because we were really hoping to be able to go somewhere a bit warmer/different, but we were once again thwarted by the fact that you can hardly fly to ANYWHERE direct from Scotland in the winter. This makes me sad. This, however, makes me happy again:

I am always properly coordinated with my surroundings. Even when my surroundings are a cage full of monkeys.

(I’m actually wearing that sweater right now, funnily enough. I should shop more.)

(That was a joke, obviously. Shopping more is the last thing I need to do.)

(I probably will, though. I mean, there is a really good branch of Zara right around the corner from the hotel. I know, because I brought most of it home with me last time.)

This December is the 10th anniversary (!) of my first “date” with Terry, and it’s also the 5th anniversary of his kidney transplant, so it’s a bit of a landmark month, which we’re very much looking forward to celebrating in the sunshine – or, at least, we hope we’ll have sunshine: you can never really tell at this time of year!

In other news, I’m considering getting a fringe, in order to hide the “11s” that have appeared between my eyes, as a result of all that frowning/squinting/ageing like an old hag I do. I know I’ll hate it if I get it, but I’m hating the 11s even more, so it may be the lesser of the two evils. Or maybe not.

• I was horrified when I saw how short my hairdresser had made my fringe two weeks ago — I don’t have 11s, but I do have a horizon across my forehead. Thanks, ageing.

In other news, I’m so jealous that you’re off on holiday soon. But happy for you, obviously. Monkeys rock!

Lol at “horizon”! I have one of those too, but the 11s make it pale comparison. And it’s not even the fact that it makes me look old that bothers me, it’s the fact that it makes me look permanently angry/stressed: not a good look! I do worry about the too-short fringe thing: I think if I do go for it, I’m going to have to make the hairdresser promise to leave it long!

• Ah, yes — I look worried and stressed unintentionally as it is (“cheer up love, it might never happen!”), so I understand that worry… Always better to need frequent trims than to have it too short, is my thinking. Although you look lovely in your pics, I have to say.

• AJ says:

This post definitely deserves a WOO HOO! I know how much you hate the cold! We’ve booked Salou for next July and I’m mentally ticking off the remaining days already.
    I am digging the fringe idea. They are quite high maintenance but I think they really rock and they’re dead easy to grow out if you decide you’re not so keen. I’d suggest getting it cut in quite thin to start with tho, then go thicker if you really like it. x

Oh, hells yes! As stupid as it probably sounds to people who love winter, it’s been really starting to get to me already this year: I just hate the constant darkeness, and the fact that it takes me fifteen minutes to get ready to walk the dog because I have to put on so many clothes. I’m SO looking forward to being somewhere warm (well, hopefully: it’ll be warmer than here, anyway) for a couple of weeks!

Will bear in mind the fringe advice: I was thinking it could look a bit “rock chick” if it’s done right – just need to pluck up the courage!

• Amie__ says:

@foreveramber it definetly deserved a woohoo!! the monkeys are adorable :) looked so nice and warm :)

• xGlassElevator says:

@foreveramber Your coat is colour co-ordinated with that of the animal! xD

• Tali says:

I’m so happy for you that you go on vacation! The monkeys are adorable!

As for fringe, it does need maitenance, especially when it gets too long and you can’t see anything anymore.
    Just imagine that the hair grows aprox. 1 cm per month.. I got a fringe myself this may and I love it! Well, beside the fact that it grows too fast))

I remember the maintenance issues from the last time I ventured into the land of the fringe – it’s dangerous because as soon as it starts to get too long, I think, “Oh, I’ll just cut it myself, it’ll be fine!” and of course, it never, ever is! I think in the battle between wonky fringe and looking permanently angry, the fringe may just end up being the lesser of the two evils, though!

• Space Fall says:

Lucky! I like winter for the three weeks I’m home for Christmas, and that’s it. I grew up in a very snowy, freezing (mid-northern canada) part of the world, and have since escaped to a slightly warmer climate (making three weeks of hip-high snow and -47C temperatures bearable), but I am not so lucky as to get away to somewhere quite as warm as where you’re going! And you get to play with squirrel monkeys and lemurs? Those are my two very favourite primate species. I am very envious.

The monkeys were fantastic – the lemurs were a little bit shy, but the squirrel monekys were just so tame – as soon as they realised you had food they’d come right over and sit on your shoulder/head/whatever. I insisted on going to see them twice last time we were there and I’ve warned Terry that I’ll have to go at least twice more – they were completely adorable!

• Louise says:

Hi Amber,
    Is it worth pointing out that there are at least 8 or 9 posts on your blog where you specifically instruct yourself not to get a fringe again? Just saying.
    Thanks
    Louise

• shoegalfi says:

I feel it my duty as your friend to say NO, NO FRINGES OR LAYERS! I believe you have instructed all to say this, or slap you, or something if you even so much as consider it!

I am very jealous that you are going somewhere warm and sunny in December when I have spent all my money on new bedroom furniture and furnishings and will be forced to stay at home in the cold.
    xx

Ah, but that was back before I developed hideous lines between my eyes: I’m not thinking of doing it because I actually want a fringe, it’s just to hide the 11s that look much worse that even a bad fringe – I’m at that stage of life when it’s come down to a “lesser of two evils” type of decision: sad times. You can still feel free to slap me, though :)

At least you’ll have a lovely bedroom to snuggle up in when it’s cold :)

• Rebecca says:

Can I stowaway on your plane to the Canary Islands, please?
    I’m going on vacation next July or August, I think — it’s a matter of my father’s health.
    I do actually like the fringe idea, though; if it’s cut properly, it will look very nice.

• Lulu says:

Congrats on the anniversaries, your relationship is truly inspiring (ooh sappy, sorry). On to more important things, I know I’m not helping but i think you would look great with either side swept or straight across bangs, i vote for straight across!

• To be honest, I truly believe a fringe is a great alternative to botox, and I’m serious. There are several types so you don’t have to go for the bluntest of bangs from the word go. I eased into mine by having a discrete “side” fringe, not sure if that’s the right term, but one that you can easily sweep. Now I have full on bangs and a lot of the time, as I work from home, I have them pinned back, but when I go out I love to have them.
    With regards to maintainance, since I found this post by fellow blogger Retro Chick I am a true expert:

Seriously, this amazing post has made me saved soooo much money

• Beth says:

I have a bit of a weird tendency when I read blog posts – I scroll through and look at the pictures first, then read the text. I saw you in your stripey jumper with the lemur and thought “Aww, she dressed for the occasion – cute” :)

As for the fringe thing. My advice in one word; don’t. I had a side fringe cut in about 3 months ago and I’m still suffering the “growing out” pains that started about an hour after it was cut in. It always seems like a good idea, but in reality if you haven’t had one for ages it’ll just be horrible to deal with. Extra styling faff – it makes simple things like a ponytail really difficult. I have to have two. One that’s sort of a poof-style to deal with the fringe which then has to be pulled back into the main ponytail. x