Halloween Costume Idea | Joan from Mad Men

Joan Holloway Halloween costume

All ready for Halloween Part 2.

Oh, who am I kidding: you all just want to see Terry, don’t you?

Yes, The Box has finally fulfilled its destiny. Apparently all The Box ever wanted was to be part of a “Han Solo dipped in carbonite” Halloween costume. Who knew?

Here’s his inspiration, for those of you who weren’t obsessed with Star Wars during the 80s, and possibly also the 90s:

Now, as Terry was going as Han Solo, the obvious thing for me to have done here would’ve been to be Princess Leia, and funnily enough, Terry did campaign enthusiastically for a “Princess Leia in the gold bikini costume”, which… yeah. I, meanwhile, spent a bit of time searching, both online and in my own closets, for a suitable outfit which would allow me to dress up as my childhood heroine, but sadly, it was not to be: I have a LOT of clothes, but for some reason I DON’T seem to have any long white turtle-neck dresses, and the costumes were selling on eBay for £40 – FORTY POUNDS, people! – so instead I went as A Really Lazy Girl Who Didn’t Want to Spend Any Money on a Costume She’d Never Wear Again, or, as I tried to spin it on the night, as Joan Holloway from Mad Men. Only without, you know, boobs.

Mad Men fancy dress

I should probably be worried that I managed to make a Halloween “costume” out of clothes I already own and a hairdo I sometimes wear anyway, huh?

Terry found the fake cigarette in his desk drawer, a remnant of Halloween costumes past. Previous to this, he HAD been going to make me one. Here is the conversation we had on that topic:

AMBER: Will you make me a fake cigarette for my Joan Holloway costume?

TERRY: Yeah, I was thinking about that: I think I’ll just buy you one instead: I can’t be bothered making one.

AMBER: You can buy single cigarettes now?

TERRY: Well, no, I’ll have to buy a pack of them. But it’ll be easier than making one.

AMBER:  *thinks about this*

AMBER: Will you make me a pair of knee boots?

TERRY: Yeah, OK, no problem, I’ll make them out of cardboard.

AMBER: Gah! You were supposed to say, “Nah, I can’t be bothered, I’ll just buy you them!”

He didn’t make me boots, needless to say. But the cigarette was so realistic that every time I put it down I’d glance round and think, “OMG, there’s a lit cigarette lying on that table!” Sadly, copying Joan Holloway’s figure was a much harder task, so I didn’t even try: there are some things you just can’t fake…

But back to Terry:

As you can see, Terry took his box-wearing duties very seriously. He wasn’t, however, able to wear The Box all night, for obvious reasons, and this left The Box vulnerable to attack from all kinds of unsavory characters:

“No, seriously, Terry, the box can leave the house now, yes? Now that it’s finally driven me to drink?”

• Caroline says:

Brilliant – Terry takes costumery to a whole new level of effort, the likes of which I haven’t seen since university…

Meanwhile, you look stunning. And I *really want* that dress. No, I really really do. You eventually got my green dress – now it’s my turn to covet… :D

• Tali says:

I want all of your shoes!!!

I had to gather all my abilities of giggling silently when I saw the first picture of Terry’s costume! Creativity, wild imagination and The Box can do wonders!
    You don’t really mean to get read of The Box NOW?

• katri says:

I was waiting to see the costumes all of yesterday, no joke. Now I’ve realised there are things that cannot be unseen…

• Steph says:

You look great! I’m now thoroughly convinced of the virtues of owning a green dress. Note to self: buy own green dress.
    Terry’s costume is making me laugh so hard I can barely type. It’s genius.

• Hayley says:

I ADORE your dress! Come to think of it, though I have many other clothing items in various shades of green, I don’t own a green dress…this must be remedied.

I think I probably have everyone else’s share of green dresses, I just can’t seem to stop buying them. And polka dot dresses. Mind you, I have just ordered a blue one, so baby steps…

• You look great, and Terry’s costume is so clever! Gotta love scrumptious Han Solo and “cold as ice” Princess Leia. Love your outfit too.
    By the way, the way you have your shoe collection on display is fantastic. I may copy it, just so you know ;)

Oh, copy away! I love having them all out on display – it makes it so much easier for me to get round to wearing them all now that I can actually see what I have!

• Rock Hyrax says:

Out of all the possible options for Han Solo, Terry must have picked the most difficult one! ;-) With that make-up he bears quite a resemblance to Data from Star Trek…

• Rebecca says:

Han Solo!
    All of my friends are Star Wars nerds, so I’ve been sort of sucked in over the years. Not that I mind, or anything.
    Love the Joan Holloway dress — you look lovely!

• I love both of these costumes so much. You make such a great Joan, and it’s amazing you already have some items that work for the costume.

I was a huge Star Wars nerd and wanted desperately to go as Leia this year….the carbonite freeze interpretation here is incredible!

• Fiamma says:

love your costume! ;) you look gorgeous! and btw…. nice collection! I wish I owned so many shoes…. I do but I wish I had a place to put them :D

XoXo
    Fiamma

• Nice work and great choice!

xx
    Fashezine

• Rachael says:

Love your costume! I went as a non-descript Mad Men secretary last year but you definitely pulled off Joan much better than I did!

• lisa says:

Your resemblance to Joan is uncanny! Great costume.

• Meg says:

Love this post, it’s so funny! Terry’s costume is so original and very clever!
    I also love your shoe collection – wish I had shelves like that for mine ! :)
    & of course your ‘costume’ is beautiful, very classy lady!
    xoxo
    Meg

Thank you so much! I can thoroughly recommend the shelves: I get so much more use out of my shoes now that I can actually SEE them and remember what I have!

• Caitlin says:

Oh you look so cute, and I am very jealous of your shoe collection.

• Eccentric English Boyfriend and 11YO Boy were both looking over my shoulder as I read this, and they’re still laughing hysterically at Terry! You look beautiful, by the way. :)

• ChiChi says:

I love your shoe rack!!! It isn’t attached to the wall right? I’ve been looking for way to not destroy my wall with nails and screws and the like..! please where did you get the rack?

Lady in serious need..!

It was just a set of cheap shelves… I honestly can’t remember where it was from because this was quite a while ago and it was replaced last year, but probably Ikea or similar!