Halloween Costume Idea | Marilyn Monroe

Well, folks, it’s that time of year again: that precious, precious time when I get to dress up as much as I want, and no one can tell me I’m “overdressed”, because it’s Halloween – yay! And this year, as with last year, we have two costume parties to attend: one on the Saturday just gone, and one next Saturday, which means you have another one of these posts to look, er, forward to next week. I know, sorry.

Anyway! Although I love to use Halloween as an excuse to get completely and utterly overdressed, I also have to work around the fact that I’m completely and utterly lazy. With these two points in mind, I had actually decided fairly early on that I would dress up as Marilyn Monroe for our first party: not just because I hear blondes have more fun, but because I thought it would be relatively easy. “Why, all I’ll need will be a white dress and a blonde wig,” I thought, “And I bet I won’t even need to search for the white dress, because if I mention it enough times, my mum will probably find one for me!”

And she did. Thanks, mum!

With the white dress in the bag, then (literally: my mum altered it for me and then put it in a bag) I pretty much sat back and did absolutely nothing to prepare for my transformation into the world’s most famous blonde. I knew from my search for an appropriate Lady Gaga wig last year that eBay is just full of Marilyn Monroe wigs, and they’re even labelled “Marilyn Monroe wig”, just to make it even easier for lazy-asses like me. So confident was I that nothing could possibly go wrong with this, then, that I waited until just a week before the party before I hopped onto eBay and bought the first cheapest wig I could find. Then I sat back and resumed doing nothing, until the wig arrived and I realised it looked more like a blonde version of Little Orphan Annie’s hair than Marilyn Monroe’s. Whoops.

As for Terry:

OK, so there is an explanation for this too, I promise! See, Terry HAD been going to dress as a mummy (the ancient Egyptian type, I mean, not a mother). He bought this, um, gimp suit, on eBay, intending to wind bandages around it to create the appropriate effect. Then it arrived, he tried it on, and was all, “hell, this is hilarious: I’m going exactly as I am!” (He DID have to add some “modesty underwear-as-outerwear”, as you can see.)

And yes, I AM pouting in every single photo from the evening. It was like some weird kind of reflex that comes over you when you put on a blonde wig and a some bright red lipstick. When I wasn’t pouting, I appear to have been mostly doing this:

I was trying to do the whole “Why, my dress has just blown up in the breeze from the subway grate, isn’t that a hoot?” thing, but as my dress wasn’t blowing up, and I was in the house at the time, I ended up just looking like I really needed to use the bathroom, and was laughing about it. Huh.

Luckily, Rubin managed to get over his fear of Terry’s outfit, and bowed down before it:

He also matched our inadvertent “all white” theme pretty well:

Speaking of Rubin:

He wants to be loved by you. Just you. Nobody else but you. I bet you’re scared now, too, aren’t you?

He spent the whole night going, “Oh, man, I really hope no one puts these photos on Facebook! I’m totally un-tagging them if they do!”  Sorry, Rubinman…

Terry’s costume, meanwhile, only got stranger as the evening progressed:

(Last photo courtesy of our friend Lynsey. She and her husband Graeme were our hosts for the night, and threw a fantastic party. Thanks, L&G, and sorry again about Terry…)

So, that was Halloween Part 1. Now I have to try and come up with a costume idea for Halloween Part II, which is this Saturday. I HAD thought I was all prepared for this, but over the weekend I suddenly decided that my costume idea was the laziest! thing! ever! so I’m having to have a re-think. Your suggestions welcome…

Here is a short article I wrote about Marilyn Monroe Halloween costume ideas

• Laav says:

Ahhaaha! I love Terry’s costume. (Amber, yours is pretty, but Terry’s is just so awesome!)
    And aww, Rubin!
    (Psst, don’t tell him I think he looked pretty. Tell him I was scared and that I nearly shut the lid of my laptop.)

• Tali says:

The picture with Rubin wearing the wig is hilarious! I had to giggle quietly like crazy.. my boss sits next to me!

Terry’s costume is super-scary!

I like your MM very much))

I think it’s so funny because Rubin is obviously taking his wig very, very seriously: I mean, look at the way he’s managed to match his “moustache” to the colour!

• Gemma says:

I bow down to Terry’s fancy dress EPIC WIN.

And I pout like that even when I’m not dressed as Marilyn.

• Oh my goodness. I just laughed so hard it hurt. Terry’s costume was both off-putting and awesome. Words. I just don’t have enough of ‘em.

You, m’dear, looked lovely! :)

Thanks :) And I know what you mean about Terry’s – it’s one of those things you don’t want to look at but you just can’t stop yourself!

• lila says:

I thought Terry looked like The Stig, nice costumes, I like it!

• Arlene says:

OMG I laughed so hard at the Rubinman. Best.picture.ever!
    I want to come to Terry and Amber’s place, you guys have ALL the fun! xx

• Nina says:

Yep, the Rubinman nails it ^^ As for the next party… I’m trying to think of something that would help in repurposing your dress… but look at the last pics of this post here, the idea might not be brilliant, but the realisation really hits it out of the park:

Lol, very funny! I don’t think I quite have the, erm, balls to pull off dressing as a man, though – I like to use it as excuse to wear something glam, basically!

• Amy says:

You’re probably not a Doctor Who fan, but Amy Pond would be a very easy costume. I mean you’ve got the hair and accent, and she seems to wear lots of boots and trench coats.

• Louise says:

Hi Amber (and Terry and Rubin) I don’t comment that offten, but I just wanted to say I am currently sitting in a pub in Glasgow (not my usual place for reading you blog, on holiday in the UK, from Australia) and have just finished wiping the tears from my eyes (laughter tears, not the other sort) after reading this blog post. I love you blog, I started with Rubins’ and now read yours and even though I don’t comment that often, I just wanted to let you know how ace your posts are.

Thanks

Louise :)

• Amy says:

Aw, I love it! Both of you. What a perfectly mismatched couple. Just found your blog and I’m already a pretty big fan :)

• Rock Hyrax says:

White gimp suit – what will they think of next?!

Amber, you look amazing (and easily guessable) of course, but what on earth did Terry say his costume was: futurustic mummy in OpSite dressing?

Ha, for about two days prior to the party I kept saying to him, “But what are you going to say you’re supposed to beeeeee?!” He didn’t actually come up with an answer to that, but people referred to him as “The Gimp” all night, so he just went with that!

• Roisin says:

You do make a lovely Marilyn! I am also distressed and fascinated by Terry’s costume :)
    I agree with the commenter above who suggested Amy Pond – she is a cute, Scottish redhead much like you are. However, she isn’t very glam (short skirts and knee high boots a lot of the time) It might seem like an obvious suggestion but if you’re thinking of going a bit more glam you’d make an excellent Joan Holloway. Use the bumpit to make a beehive like the one you’re sporting in the banner pic, a slinky dress in a bright colour and you’re good to go. It would make Terry’s outfit seem even more bizarre!

Joan is actually who I was thinking of going as (mostly because I wouldn’t have to buy anything!), but I wasn’t sure if people would “get” it or not – I’m definitely leaning that way, though, because I can’t seem to come up with anything better that wouldn’t require the spending of money!

I did Google Amy Pond, but from the photos I’ve seen, there doesn’t seem to be anything really distinctive about her look that would make it clear who I was supposed to be – she seems to wear pretty run-of-the-mill stuff (so I’d basically just look like myself!), or am I missing something important that would make people think, “Aha, Amy Pond!”?

• Roisin says:

I don’t know…I mean, maybe if you wanted to go as Amy you could make it more obvious by carrying a toy Tardis or something? But honestly I don’t think there is anything distinctive enough about her costume to make it really obvious.

I think that even for people who don’t watch Mad Men, Christina Hendricks/Joan Holloway is such a media figure now, you probably wouldn’t have to explain it too much!

Yeah, I figured she’s quite recognisable, plus I do actually watch Mad Men and I don’t know anything at all about Amy Pond, so it might be a bit weird. I’ve just heard that someone at this party is going to be wearing a £600 Darth Vader costume, though, which makes me think I should probably put in a bit more effort!

• Roisin says:

£600 Darth Vader costume? That’s a little bit extreme! Yes, Joan definitely wins over Amy for me. If only because (and I speak as a Doctor Who fan, here) Amy is pretty annoying, and Joan is interesting and fabulous.

• Love it! Looks like you worked the red lips and nails too. Great shots. The wig on the dog is killing me.

♥ V
    twitter: @gritandglamou

• Nicola says:

You make such a good Marilyn! I wanted to go as Marilyn one year, but talked myself out of it because she is the ultimate sex symbol and I’m… y’know… not. So not only do you look great, I think you’re brave for not getting cold feet like me!

Oh, thanks! I was a bit worried because I’m not exactly “curvy”, but hey, it’s Halloween: I figured I could get away with being a scary Marilyn!

• May says:

You look so lovely as Marilyn!

How about going as Jessica Rabbit? Or maybe Christina Hendricks’ character in Mad Men? I’m not sure if it’d be recognizable in Scotland, though.

Thanks! And yes, we have Mad Men in Scotland :) She is actually who I was thinking of going as – I’d love to be Jessica Rabbit, but it would necessitate the purchase of a long red dress, unfortunately, and, well, I’m being cheap about it!

• Steph says:

You look amazing! And Terry looks like The Stig from a parallel S&M universe, which is something I’m probably going to have nightmares about :P
    I love opportunities to dress up but sadly had to skip the Hallowe’en party I was invited to and curl up in bed eating Jaffa cakes instead. Which was still a pretty fun evening because… Jaffa cakes.

• Alex says:

Brilliant photos! Mr. Rubinman is too brilliant for words. Ash has declared that Terry looks like “the Stig in bondage gear” in that costume, though… ;)

• Loving these outfits and your boyfriend’s one is hilarious!

• maz, aka MallyMon says:

Whilst not actually being named after her, I’m just happy to be called Marilyn. White doesn’t do anything for me, so I’d not be able to dress as her. (Not to mention a few other reasons why not…!) You make a lovely white trio, though, I have to say.