Dressember Day 2: Please Mr Postman

(Dress: Dorothy Perkins; Boots: River Island)

Yesterday I showed you the omgsnow at the front of our house, so today I figured I may as well show you the slightly less dramatic view at the back. With these two shots, I’ve now pretty much exhausted my range of photo locations, though, because did I mention we’ve had a bit of snow recently and can’t actually go anywhere? No? I was sure I’d mentioned it in passing…

Three things about this image:

1. That’s not the same long-sleeved sweater I was wearing under my dress in yesterday’s photo: in fact, I have an entire shelf full of these under-the-dress sweaters. I just can’t do short sleeved dresses. Not even in summer, most of the time.

2. No, I didn’t actually go anywhere in those boots, they’re just what I would have worn if I had gone anywhere. Which I didn’t because… did I mention we’d had a bit of snow?

3. Some of you were disturbed by my lack of coat, hat, gloves etc in yesterday’s photo. It’s OK, though, I haven’t fallen prey to the uniquely Scottish disease of Weather Denial, in which people walk around in t-shirts in the snow: these photos are all taken just a few steps from the house, and I’m basically just running out for long enough to snap a couple of photos, so no jacket required, as Phil Collins would say. To prove it, here’s what yesterday’s outfit looked like when we went out to let Rubin run around a bit before bed:

We will fight them on the beaches! We will fight them on the giant hills of snow! We will fight them with a shovel in one hand and a small fluffy dog in the other!

And here’s what Rubin looked like after plunging his face repeatedly into those snow hills, because he has no brain:

As for today’s Dressember outfit, well, this is totally not what I’d planned to wear, but sadly, the dress I was intending to wear is currently sitting at Parcelforce’s Edinburgh depot, where it seems destined to remain for the foreseeable future because the depot is closed because of the you-know-what. Poor dress. It’s not the only thing, either: in fact, gazing hopefully out of the window for the postman has been the story of my life this week. Because it’s hard to buy out-of-season stuff in the shops right now, I had to order a bunch of stuff for my holiday online (including my favourite sunscreen, which I can only find online: boo!): I placed the orders before the snow came, thinking that would give them plenty of time to get here, but so far not one single thing has turned up, which means I’ve basically spent a load of money on things that will be of no earthly use to me if they don’t get here by Monday. Gah.

I think this is the thing that people who don’t have snow (or who do have snow, but who live in a country that’s better equipped to deal with it) struggle to understand. Life has completely ground to a halt here this week. The schools are closed, many stores and businesses are closed (and I’m not talking about small businesses either: the Asda-Walmart in our town is one of the largest supermarkets in Europe and it’s been having to close some days because its staff can’t make it in to work.) The stores that ARE open, meanwhile, are sold out of stuff like bread and milk, because people are panic-buying and stockpiling food. There’s no public transport running, no mail deliveries, and the hospitals and doctor’s surgeries are having to cancel appointments because their staff can’t get into work either. (In fact, I’m supposed to be at the dentist right now, but needless to say, I’m not…) Many roads are closed, and people have died because of the conditions on the ones that are open. And still it continues to fall: almost three feet now, and there doesn’t seem to be any end in sight.

I. Am. So. Sick. Of. This. In fact, one of my Facebook friends yesterday suggested building a snowman just so we could have some way to beat the crap out of the snow. That’s starting to sound really good to me round about now…

Rubin, meanwhile, doesn’t care about the snow, as long as he can still sneak into my photos while I’m looking the other way:

• Mum says:

I know I’ve always told you I could do most things around the house with a baby (you) on my hip, but hat off to you sweetheart, that huge pile of snow and a dog on your hip! Amazing.

I’m looking forward to being able to tell younger people how “In my day we used to pile snow higher than a house, and we used to do it all with a dog on our hips! And it was uphill both ways!”

• Tali says:

haha I loved this “uphill both ways” ))) I love your blog not only because you write so good but also because I learn new phrases/sayings from it!
        We say the same in russian – “3 miles (well, 5 km) uphill through the snow”.

PS hey just googled “uphill through the snow” and apparently it’s also common english?))

Oh and btw – love the new banner!

• Roisin says:

I really like Rubin’s proud stance in that photo he sneaked into. He’s standing like Superman!

• Nicola says:

Rubin is totally like “Stealth sneak! I camouflage with the snow so well that you won’t even notice me sneaking in here until you upload the picture!”

I used to have a dog with long hair sprouting out between her paw pads. I once took her for a walk in the snow and all of the snow was collecting into balls under feet and she couldn’t walk, so every hundred yards I had to stop and melt all of these stupid snow balls with my bare hands! That is devotion.

I know what you mean – Rubin doesn’t get those on his paws, but he does get them on his belly, and in what would be his armpits if he was human: we’ve had to put him in the shower a couple of times because it really clings to his fur. It must be horrible for them to have the snow stuck to them like that!

• Tali says:

Untill now I think I didn’t realize how bad the situation is in Scotland/England. Now I do. I suddenly remembered 1(one) day last winter that the road were so full of snow people just didn’t dare to ride. But I don’t recollect them being massively closed.

I hope your orders make it in time! Summer shopping that fails because of the snow! Impossible!
    *shaking my head*

• Chloe says:

I love the dress, and even more the boots! Really lovely. Thanks for the comment regarding my coat, I actually have some original WW2 ARP silver buttons I was thinking of using.

• Ursula says:

This is a very pretty dress, and I really hope you’ll get all those parcels before you go on vacation!

I’m not generally against snow (I have to admit I do see its romantic side), but this year it’s been very annoying right from the beginning. I guess it’s the memories of last winter. I don’t need another one right now!

• That’s a simple n elegant dress in the silhouette… I actually had to improvise the contrast of the pic to see if the dress had any detailing!!! :)

• Leanne says:

I love your dress, so chic! You really have an eye for style.
    That snow mountain is huge..! Sure we might not get snow where I live, but mountain o’ snow is certainly worse than 35degree days!

• Sandy says:

We’ve only had snow for 2 days and I’m already fed up of it…we have rain due and “warm” temps of 8C at the weekend so I have my fingers crossed for that!!

And then maybe my parcel of some sunglasses will finally arrive! (I’m not going on a holiday soon like yourself….I’m just pre-planning for next year! LOL!)

I’ll keep everything crossed for you! I actually had my eye on a new pair of sunnies for my holiday, but luckily they were one of the things I didn’t order, so one less thing sitting at the Royal Mail’s sorting office all week!

• Rai says:

I cannot believe how much snow everyone else has! I’m in Newport and it’s snowed twice and we got maybe half an inch of snow out of it :c

• Rock Hyrax says:

At least where you live there’s a good excuse for the place to grind to a halt. Can’t say I’ve heard of temperatures that low in the UK, nor metre deep snow in the last twenty years.

Things keep grinding to a halt in London though, where we’ve only had an inch or two of snow and the temperature while cold, isn’t that bad. Beginning to think we deserve the “soft sourthern b***ds” title. ;-)

• Elle says:

Rai – are you in Newport Wales? I am too and the crappy amount of snow we have is very disappointing! (Boo! Hiss!)

Amber, your outfits look stunning as per usual! :D