Dressember Day 27: Ol’ Curly

(Dress, ASOS (obviously); shoes, Christian Louboutin)

I actually wasn’t going to bother posting these photos because as well as the Christmas season stealing all my readers, the horrible light inside the house at this time of year means that this dress doesn’t look anything like it does in real life in this photo. Or at least I hope it doesn’t. (And no, that’s not my bra, by the way: I can’t wear v-necks without some kind of top underneath or I spend the night flashing people, which totally wasn’t the kind of party our friends had invited us to last night…) Still, I promised I’d see Dressember through to the end, so let the record show that this is what I wore to a party at our friends’ house last night. Because the dress is very simple, I decided to do my hair in such a way that I’d look like Little Orphan Annie for the duration of the evening:

(Oh, hai blurry iPhone self-portrait!)

My hair started off so big I had to turn sideways in order to get through doors, but as is its way, by the time we got to the party, our friends, who had been following my hair drama on Twitter, were all, “Um, where are the curls?” And by the time we went home? It was almost straight again. Ah well…

This hairstyle was actually a dry-run for the top-secret, would-tell-you-but-I’d-have-to-kill-you event we’re attending tonight. I’ll be pushed for time, but I’m sure I’ll manage at least one blurry photo of me looking faintly startled…

• You look beauteous… as per usual! :)

• mandi b says:

you look damn gorgeous as always!!

• Elisa says:

Pretty dress! Pretty face! Pretty hair! Pretty Amber! Curls suit you incredibly well.

Have you ever noticed that “pretty” is quite a stupid word? Try saying it 10 times fast.

• Siel says:

You look nice – I love you hair!
    and the dress, obviously… I don’t think I dislike any of your dresses :)

• Jess says:

How did you curl your hair?
    It looks lovely!

• Season’s Greetings Amber!

Popping my head up over the keyboard and let you know that I have been with you right the way through Dressember. Most days I have even worn dresses in support.

My parents are over here in Sydney from Scotland and concerned that I am now Social Network obsessed hence the lack of commentage.

There is no easy way to curl long thick hair but at least you didn’t end the night with the frizzies!

What a month! From snow laden Scotland to sunny Spain and back again blogging all the way.

You are my inspiration this month.

Aww, thanks, that’s so lovely – and yes, it’s been a month of extremes, weather wise! I actually can’t quite believe it’s still the same month!

• arlene says:

Wow! I really love the girls. Very sexy. It’s like a grown up version of Amber :)

• Jasmine says:

Love love love the shoes! Your hair looks gorgeous. I have the same problem when I curl my hair. At first it turns out so curly I start to panic thinking I look like Cher. A few hours later it’s nice and tousled (or at least that’s what i tell myself but really flat is a more accurate description.)

• Katy says:

I really, really like your hair curly like this. It’s adorable! Can’t wait to read about the top-secret event you went to, and hopefully got some good pics of. – Katy

• Kerry says:

Hi Amber, I am a brand new blog reader all the way from New Zealand and absolutely love your style!

Unfortunately little old NZ doesn’t really cater for midgets like me (5’2″) who love pencil skirts and dresses and awesome shoes. So as a result of your blog I am now addicted to ASOS.

Also as a result of your blog, I am more sure about my vague thoughts on colouring my hair red.

Finally, can I ask how tall you are? I am looking at a couple of the ASOS dresses you have been wearing and it would be good to know that so I can work out where they would fall on me.

Looking forward to following you in the new year (wow that sounds stalkerish),
    Kerry

I’m 5″4, but the ASOS lengths are a bit random – some are perfect for me, but some have had to be taken up (the black dress I wore on Christmas Eve had to come up at least two hem lengths – it was almost at my ankles!). What I like about ASOS, though, is that they show a video of the item on a model, and they always tell you what size the model is wearing and how tall she is, so I can work out that if it’s knee-length on a 5″9″ model, it’ll be at least calf length on me.

(I promise I’m not on commision, by the way – just realised I’m starting to sound like an advert for them…)

• Kerry says:

Thanks very much Amber, I’ll definitely keep that in mind when I’m filling up my bag with dresses I shouldn’t be buying ;-P

Happy new year!

• Louisa says:

Ah my hair curls like that all the time, wish it was beautifully straight like yours! It’s so true what they say – you always want what you can’t have. :D

Hi btw, new time reader to your blog. Loving it so far!

• Maša says:

amazing curls! my hair is also totally straight – if i do make curls, they straighten like in an hour. :(