Dressember Day 31: Happy New Year!

(Dress: Vintage Allure, Christmas gift from my parents)

This dress is called “Ethel”, but I will forever think of it as “Roisin”, because it was lovely Roisin who introduced me to Vintage Allure in general, and to the Ethel dress in particular, so thank you to her, and thanks too, of course, to my fabulous parents, who picked up on all my oh-so-subtle hints (My mum: “What do you think Terry would like for Christmas this year?” Me: “You know, it’s the weirdest thing, but he won’t stop talking about this dress from Aspire Style! Here, let me show you it…”) and arranged for this to be under the tree in the middle of the living room floor on Christmas morning.

We’re off out now to ring in the New Year, first of all with Terry’s family, and then with some friends of ours, who also very graciously picked up on all of our, “Gosh, wouldn’t it be great if someone had a party on New Year’s Eve, and it can’t be us because it just can’t!” hints and invited a bunch of us around for a party. As some of you may know, I hate New Year with a terrible, fiery hate, which I would explain to you in great detail, except I’m much too lazy and we really will have to leave soon, so here’s a blank space where you can all feel free to imagine what I WOULD have said if I could’ve been bothered:

<insert hatred of New Year here>

I’m sure this year will be much less mournful than usual, though, so that’s something. Thank God for good friends, eh?

I was also going to do one of those end of year round-up things that bloggers always do, but as ever, I just thought, “meh, that’s what the archives are for”, so if you really want to know what I got up to this year, you’ll find the link at the top of the page. It was more or less just, “Blah blah, work, blah blah people who think I’m a shop, blah blah identity theft on the Internet, blah blah ashcloud, weather, FLORIDA YAY!, weather, weather, SHOOOS!, weather, SHOOS!, blah blah winter, OMGSNOW, snowsnowsnow, HOLIDAY!, the end.”

And now that we’re actually at the end, both of Dressember, and of 2010 (Oh God, here we go, I can feel myself getting maudlin. Dad, if you’re reading this, get the wine ready for tomorrow. Also the whisky. Now would be a good time to produce that pony, too, just FYI), all that remains for me to say is so long, and thanks for all fish. No, wait! All that remains for me to say is Happy New Year when it comes (if you can possibly try to imagine me slurring that line through my maudlin tears, it would make it more accurate), and I hope you all have a wonderful 2011. I also want to thank each and every single one of you for talking the time to read and comment here, and I’m not just saying that: if you were all here right now, I actually would go round and give each one of you a big, squishy hug. It would be a bit awkward, but I would mean well, I promise.

Now, where’s that whisky?*

(* I don’t actually drink whisky.)

(Well, not yet, anyway…)

• Sally says:

Happy New Year Amber! (And to Terry and Rubin as well!!) x

• Roisin says:

Oh, yay! The Ethel dress looks fabulous on you, your parents have excellent taste. I hope your party is great – I’m going out for the first new year’s eve in about 10 years. Feeling a bit nervous but it’s what my sisters want to do. Anyway, happy new year!

• Beth says:

Happy New Year – I hate it too, so I feel your pain.

The dress looks fabulous and once again, you’ve made me feel very unstylish – but in a good way, not like “OMGBITCH” but more like “Wow, wish I could do that”.

Love to you all!

Bx

• Aline C says:

Happy New Year!!! :)
    That’s a very pretty dress :)

• Mhairi says:

Happy New Year to you both. Hopefully we can catch up soon x

• Hayley says:

Happy New Year to you as well!

• Steph says:

Happy New Year! And that dress is divine!

• Cristina says:

Happy New Year!

I’ve enjoyed reading your blogs all year, thank you so much!

• Nikki G says:

Happy New Year! Hope it’s a fun and safe one.

• ayemiy says:

I like hugs.

and your dress.

and funnily enough, your blog! happy new year, Amber.

You will be looking fabulous at the party. Happy new year to all of you!

• BWC says:

Happy new year! *returns awkward hug*

• Alexandra says:

Happy New Year, Amber! And I’ll tell you what- you ever come down to my section of the States, I’ll lend you my pony as often as you want.

• Siel says:

Happy New Year!

You look fabulous! :)

• Sandy says:

Bit late for the happy new years…but it is still new years day so it counts right??!

I find the end of Christmas and NYE pretty depressing….I’m not good with new! LOL! (Apart from new clothes and shoes though!!)

• Hazel says:

Happy New Year!
    Although I understand your hatred for it. It really is a pointless, rather depressing time.

• Pooja says:

Ideally, we should be thanking you for writing.

I’ve told you this before, and I’ll say it again because it ought to be said again: thank you for writing. Thank you for blogging. I’m in medical school in India right now, and it’s nothing short of difficult. It’s not necessarily the material, it’s the people, and by the end of the day I don’t have the desire to be around anyone at all. It’s difficult to believe in the goodness in people when you’re screamed at all the time and treated differently for being American.

But knowing that I have your blog updates to look forward to, well, that keeps me going. Reading your blog in the morning makes me cheerier. Looking at all your pretty outfits makes me realize that I too will have my glamorous, dress-wearing life back one day. Seeing how you live your life with so much humor……it really makes me want to be like you.

So rest assured, your hugs wouldn’t be awkward at all. I would happily hug you back. :)

Happy Belated Holidays and New Year! :D