Friend Friday & Frocking Friday # 2: The Boy Scout’s Motto

(Dress, ASOS; shoes; vintage Gina, from a thrift store)

For today’s Frocking Friday, I had planned to wear a completely different dress. It wasn’t even from ASOS, or anything. I know! But then I put that dress on, and I looked at myself in the mirror and I thought, “Verily this is the ugliest, most unflattering dress I ever did see!” (Because when I’m on my own, I like to talk like a character in a Shakespeare play, forsooth.) So I changed it for this one. And it’s from ASOS. Yes, AGAIN. Well, someone has to keep that company afloat, you know, and it very much looks like it’s going to be me…

In a neat little twist of fate, however, I had also planned to combine my Frocking Friday post with a Friend Friday one. And the topic of this week’s Friend Friday is planning ahead. Which is what I should have done if I’d wanted to avoid the scenario above. Here’s what else I had to say about being prepared – or not, as the case may be:

1. How do you determine what you will wear that day?

If I’m going to be leaving the house, I usually just have a little mental run-through of my wardrobe the night before, right before I fall asleep. Then I usually wake up in the morning and discover that the weather isn’t anything like I thought it was going to be, and I have to start from scratch. Or I find that my dress makes me look like a pregnant woman from the 1960s. (No offence to any pregnant women from the 1960s who happen to be reading this, by the way…) If I don’t have anything planned, though, it just comes down to what I feel like wearing when I get up. Every day’s an adventure, people!

2. Do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month,weekend?

I’ve heard of people who do this, and I’m in complete awe of them. As “Lazy” is my middle name, however, I’m afraid I’m not one of them - unless, of course, I have some kind of special occasion coming up, for which I will do some planning ahead. Or, as I call it, “shopping”.

3. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don’t repeat?

Nope. I know this is a bin no-no in fashion blogging world, but I am a shameless repeater of outfits. When I find something I like, I want to wear it aaaalll the time. And sometimes I do. I always think it seems such a shame to have something you love, but to only be able to wear it occasionally, for fear of being seen to be a Repeater. (I also don’t think people actually notice the repeating. I mean, I doubt that any of my friends or family members sit around of an evening thinking, “OMG, I can’t believe Amber wore that dress again!” And if they do, and it bothers them, well, a) that’s a bit weird, to be honest and b) they are welcome to send me new clothes, so I can mend my repeatin’ ways.) So no, no systems required, although I would be lying if I said I didn’t covet Alicia Silverstone’s closet in Clueless.

4. How do you discover new combinations of items in your closet?  (Trial try-ons? Hanging items together?)

I try things on, and prance around the house in them, sometimes whilst drinking wine and/or listening to Lady Gaga. That sentence explains quite a lot, doesn’t it?

5. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?

I guess planning ahead more would be the thing. That way we might have less days/evenings out which begin with Terry sitting outside in the car with the engine running while I run around the house in my underwear, frantically putting on and discarding outfits. Maybe.

P.S. I really hate to be the blogger that does this,  but you see the little follower widget in the top right-hand corner of the site? I kind of convinced myself that I have to get it to 100 by the weekend, or the world will end or something. So the next two followers get… well, you get to save the world, basically. If that’s not enough for you, though, you get my eternal gratitude, too. Mwah!

• Claudia says:

Hi Amber,

Brought it to 99 so just 1 more to go.

I’ve actually been following your blog for quite a while. Even read all archived posts in one evening once I’ve discovered it.

Love your sense of humour and play with words. You’re what they’d call a “language loving geek” at the company I work for. Not to worry though, it’s a good thing :). And am greatly enjoying all pics with outfits or not – great sense of style!

Have a lovely weekend!

• Maeve says:

I caught sight of a certain pair of black and white Kurt Geiger shoes on the shelf! Waiting eagerly for the shoe challenge :D

• Katy Rose says:

The planning ahead is the hard part for me. – Katy
    PS I think I’ve said this before but I love the shoe collection on display. Such a great photo backdrop.

• Hi hunnie…love your FF answers…sounds like the plan you have is working really great for you….I took a peek around your site and really like the posts and pics as well…you dont have to feel bad about the FOLLOW button…I already pushed it before I read what you wrote:)
    Im looking forward to more FF posts with you:)

Stop by and say Hello:)
    Enter my Lulus Giftcard Giveaway!!♥

• Sandy says:

I like your answer to number 2….planning=shopping, of course it is!!

I’d follow if I knew how….I think I have to have an account or something don’t I??! LOL! (I really should look into it….but I share your middle name…..Lazy!)

Beautiful shoes BTW.

• Steph says:

That dress is fantastic. I used to have a serious ASOS addiction. I’m not sure how I broke it actually. Occasionally I’m tempted to go back on ASOS and have a browse… just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

• You could certainly try laying the outfit out the night before but you will still change your mind before you leave the house. At least I think you will, I might be wrong and of course on the other hand…

Prevarication is one of the perils of having a creative mind. Too many things to wear/do/say and not enough time to do it in.

You are at 111 now…

• Linda W says:

I wrote about Clueless, too! That movie clearly left a great impression on us!
    Love the dress. It fits you like a glove!

The Auspicious Life

• Lauren says:

I love those shoes! I noticed them sitting on the shelf in previous posts and I’d wondering when they’d get their day of glory. Very cute outfit.

• Roisin says:

I love those shoes – the pink heel on them is just adorable. Naturally I also really like the dress! Your system sounds about the same as mine – I don’t have any Lady Gaga CDs but the prancing around with a drink sounds familiar. For weekdays I try to have decided on something the night before but usually I just let inspiration strike when I am in the shower :)

• Gemma says:

I really want that dress, but it’s just too short for me! I’d buy so much more from ASOS if their skirts would hit the knee instead of being mid-thigh.

Looks fantastic on you though!

I know what you mean – it’s really too short for me too, but I love the shape of it (and it’s a really nice, thick fabric) so I wear it anyway, although I normally wear it with opaque tights. I really wish more places would make dresses a bit longer, though – I mean, I’m only 5″4, and I really struggle to find stuff that’s not indencent: I hate to think how taller people cope!

• Lauren says:

I agree! I got the cutest high waisted skirt from there online and when it arrived I looked at it thought “If I wore that high waisted, I think everyone will see my bottom” and I’m only 5 foot 5ish.

• Louise says:

wow, it’s a 115 now, Go Amber!

• Kerry says:

Hi Amber,

Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for checking out my blog. I’m just starting out and it’s nice to see that someone is actually reading it!

I had a read of your archives the other day and was interested to see you used to be a jeans and t shirt girl and have made the transition to dresses and heels. I’m in the middle of that myself so it’s nice to see that it is possible to get there in the end!

Happy frocking,
    Kerry

• dotty says:

i heart how you display your shoes! and your black dress is fantastic!

• Andrea says:

Hi, do you kno the name or style of the dress please? The link is just to the website and the have sooo many black dresses! Thanks, it’s really lovely on you.

• JTwisdom says:

I am a bit different in that I do plan my clothes a week in advance because with work and my other activities it saves a lot of time so that I am not running around in the morning. My mother started me doing it when I was little and it stuck with me.

Ditto
    Your shoes are so fab.

• Ros says:

Love that dress – in fact it’s the perfect LBD. It’s just adorable on you.
      any chance you could post a link to it on asos. I’ve had a look on there and can’t find it :(

thanks
      R

• Ella Mode says:

Minor comment here, but that “bookcase” is too cute.