Frocking Friday # 1: Portobello

(Dress, BB Dakota; boots, Topshop)

So, it’s the first ever Frocking Friday, which means the first of 52 dresses in 2011. Everyone up for it? I’m just going to pretend you all said “yes” to that. It’s OK, don’t worry, I have enough dresses for all of us…

That said, this outfit was actually based completely around the boots, which are my one and only January sales purchase. See, I’m not generally a fan of the sales. I don’t like having to rummage for clothes, I hate the fact that so many stores hide away all the good stuff at sale time and stick out racks of old stock that no one wanted the first time around, and, of course, I hate The Others, who always come out in force at sale time and will fight you to the death for something they didn’t even know they wanted until they see YOU pick it up. And by “you”, I obviously mean “me”.

Sometimes, however, the January sales can be worth it, and this turned out to be one of those times, because tucked away at the back of my local branch of Topshop I found The Boots. The Boots, people.

Now, I have stalked these boots ever since Topshop first released the style, about two years ago. I wanted them bad. At one point I even set out to buy The Boots, but when I got to the store I realised that the £110 price tag was waaay out of my budget, and so I was forced to retreat to River Island, where I bought another pair of thigh highs on sale for £10, which was a whole £100 cheaper. And honestly, I love those boots. I’ve worn them constantly since I bought them. (Not literally, obviously. I don’t wear them to bed or anything. Much.) In fact, I’ve worn them so much that I started to worry. “One day I will wear these boots so often that I’ll wear them right out,” I fretted. “And then I won’t have these boots no more, and I’ll have to begin the search for a new pair. But what if I can’t find a new pair? WHAT IF, people? And also, I really wish I’d bought those Topshop boots that time, woe, woe!”

And then I walked into Topshop last week and they had The Boots on sale for £35.

(I know, I kinda rushed the punchline a bit there, didn’t it? It’s just because I knew you wouldn’t be able to stand the suspense any longer.)

“Obviously they won’t have them in my size,” I thought to myself, as I began feverishly searching through the pile of boots – sorry, Boots – glancing over my shoulder every now and then so check for the approach of one of The Others. I was right, too: they didn’t have my size. They did, however, have one solitary pair of size 3s. I wear a size 4. “Oh, what the hell,” I thought. “I’ll just squeeze them on, Ugly-Sister-style, and if they don’t fit, why, I can always have my toes amputated or something!”

(They’re not as shiny as they look in this photo or the one above it, it’s just the flash…)

But they actually fit me. It was a true Christmas miracle. They do happen, people.

I’ve worn them every single day since I bought them. And OK, it’s partly that I just can’t get the things off now. (Kidding! I’m kidding! They do actually fit me – even I’m not stupid enough to buy shoes that don’t fit me. Not after The Louboutin Incident.) But it’s mostly because there ain’t nothing as versatile as a good pair of thigh high boots. That’s what my granny always told me, anyway.*

Um, I’m supposed to be talking about dresses here, aren’t I? Well, there’s not much to say about this one, because you’ve already seen it: it’s the dress I wore last Halloween, so yes, I wear my Halloween costumes all year round. I also carry tiny little people around with me at all times, look:

He’s ready for his close-up:

I’m all, “Come on, tiny little man, hurry it along now, we don’t have all day! Can’t you see I’m trying to walk AND wear clothes here?” Also, I am so FASHUN that I use Little People as accessories. Eat your heart out, Gaga! What? You don’t believe we have Little People here in Scotland? Well, OK, just to prove it to you, here is a deeply unflattering photo of me about to fall off that wall while clutching a Little Person in my right hand:

SEE? They exist. They’re out there. And me? Why, I use them as mere playthings! *evil cackle* Now, I’m going to trust you all not to tell anyone about the Little People, because then everyone will want one. And they’re MY Little People. Mine!

OK, this post ended up going in a completely different direction from how I’d planned it. Here is a pretty photo of the beach (which, by the way, we stopped off at after doing some other stuff in Edinburgh, just in case you’re wondering why I’m prancing around a beach all of a sudden):

Now, let’s all try and forget what we just saw, OK? I’m going to shine this light into your eyes and you’ll forget aaaaalllll about the Little People…

*FLASH! MEMORY ERASED!*

P.S. For those of you who are worried about how cold I must’ve been here, fear not, I had a coat with me, I just took it off for a minute to get a photo of the dress underneath, otherwise you wouldn’t have been able to see it and we’d have to rename this feature Coat Friday, rather than Frocking Friday. Or maybe ‘Same Coat Every Friday’. Which would be weird.

P.P.S. Remember, if you want to join Frocking Friday, and see what everyone else is wearing today, take a look at the Facebook page here!

*Note: My granny didn’t actually say that. No one would’ve been surprised if she had, though.

(Thanks to Terry for taking the photos!)

• timjnx says:

RT @foreveramber: New Post: Frocking Friday # 1: Portobello – http://www.foreveramber.co.uk/2011/01/fr…

• Hazel says:

Great post. Made me chuckle. I am indeed wearing a dress today, this isn’t a typical thing for me but I am enjoying wearing it. It’s a black (I’m easing myself into Frocking Friday gently), mid length, knitted, cowl neck dress (Florence and Fred) but rather typically I dropped some of my Muller Fruit Corner into the cowl at lunchtime and didn’t notice. Classy.

This is why I always tie a teatowel around my neck when I’m eating (at home, I mean. I don’t do it in restaurants, although I probably should). I really wish I was joking about that, but I’m SO clumsy…

• Very_Hazel says:

• Fi says:

I just LOL’d at this (the little people bit)! And also: Yay that you’ll be doing more outfit shots for Frocking Friday. I promise to join in from next week.
    x

• Kirsty says:

Porty beach! Haven’t been there in a while. My younger brother and I always used to get taken there in the summer holidays and it seemed so far away, when in reality we were probably only on the bus from town for 20 minutes! The novelty wore off when I went to work in an office behind the car dealerships at Seafield(depressing) and was in Portobello every lunchtime.

Anyway onto the more important matters at hand- great dress and boots!

I remember feeling like that about Edinburgh city centre – I used to think it was this really far away place that took aaaaggges to get to, but actually it’s about 20 minutes or something. I was quite dissapointed when I realised!

• I love your photos!

Ciao ciao From Rome
    BExCLUSIVE MAGAZINE

• Tali says:

The little people! LOL it happens to me too.. You take photos, come home all happy and anticipating to see your *perfect* photos on the computer screen… and then you see them. little people. or eyes closed. or opened wide (my favorite)..

Love your dress, you indeed have huge collection of green dresses)

I saw those photos on the camera when I got back into the car, and I honestly laughed all the way home – on a smaller screen it looked even more like I was carrying them around!

• Roisin says:

I love beaches in winter! And I really like the way you’ve layered up your Joanie dress, it looks great with that top underneath it. That is a serious find on those boots too – some good karma after all of the OMGSNOW maybe?! x

Oh, I hope so – although as I type this, I’m waiting for two items to arrive in the mail (hopefully not with Royal Fail, but I’m not sure!) and we have a good few inches of snow outside and a lot of roads closed, so it’s not looking good!

I love beaches in winter too – they’re just so bleak andatmospheric. This one was actually really crowded but Terry did a great job of making it look like just me (and the Little Peeps, of course.)

• nickrophilia says:

• Louise says:

Ok, while I love the boots, I actually cannot stop laughing at the little people. Is that cruel of me? I didn’t really mean laughing at them… but you know. Anyway, have a good weekend.

• Another flawless look and shoot! (Thank you Terry!) And I say hat’s off to 52 frocks in 2011. A worthy pursuit. I had to show your blog to my hubby, cause I’m so impressed. He is too!

••V••
    @gritandglamour

• Nikki G says:

I am so jealous of how fabulous you always look! I wish I could rock thigh high boots, but I have chicken legs, so that’s not going to happen.

This is one of the great things about them, though – I’m not fond of my legs at all, but because they cover so much of them, they’re better than most of my other boots!

• Mitr Friend says:

Great outfit!!! Loving the green black combo!!! Fabulous Amber!!!

• Sophie says:

I love the outfit, those boots are killer! Your dress is a fabulous shade of green.

• Siel says:

You look fabulous again!

Frocking Friday is a great idea – But I think people who only see me at Friday will think I wear nothing but dresses :)

btw, what was ‘the Louboutin Incident’? :)

• Angharad says:

I bought the same boots a couple of years ago (£90 with student discount at the time, which is still a lot but they’ve been worth it!) I wore them solidly that Winter, and still fish them out regularly. Good boots!

• wow, seriously sexy boots in this post…you may have to put some sort of age rating or something on it because you look mighty hot Amber, and that is a fantastic find at the sales.
    Hate the sales so much myself, and after working in retail and seeing how sales operate from the inside even more. However in the case of the boots is worth the odd visit to the stores, you just never know!

• Becky says:

I am sat here with my coffee giggling at the ‘Little people’ that has really cheered me up before my hospital appointment this afternoon! Ps, amaaaazing boots!

• I love your dress paired with your boots! And such a great deal on the boots, they are truly fabulous! I take it they are comfortable if you have been wearing them everyday?

• karen says:

I was going to say fab green dress (been said). I was going to say what a brilliant sale find those boots were (been said). I was also going to say the little people made me chuckle…erm, that’s been said too!
    Great post, I’m very envious of your glamour.

p.s. Cheers for the tea towel tip, I do have these problems, I have started my own weeny little blog and I have to take pics before I even eat, ha ha!

• Rebecca says:

This is a bit off topic, but isn’t portobello a type of mushroom? And if it is, why would you name a beach after it?