First my face, then my feet, now my name: how another company is trying to trademark my blog name

Those of you who follow me on Twitter are probably already aware of my current battle with a UK-based company who have set up two websites using the name “Shoeperwoman”, which is the name of my shoe blog, and which I’ve been using on the site itself and around the web, for the past two years. Not only is this company using my name on their websites, Facebook and Twitter account, they are also in the process of trying to register the trademark “Shoeperwoman”, which would mean that I would no longer be able to use it, effectively putting an end to two years of hard work and a large part of my income.

I’m not going to say much more about this here, but I’ve written a lengthy post over at Shoeperwoman (er, MY Shoeperwoman, I mean. The original one.), if you would like to read it. I’m posting this here in a bid to publicise this issue – obviously if this can happen to me, it can happen to anyone with a blog, and I would really, really appreciate any support in the form of links to the post, re-tweets etc. Click here to read it.

I think that’s almost every aspect of my self and Internet presence been copied or stolen by someone now. I’m thinking of pitching my own reality TV show: Forever Amber: the most imitated woman in the UK…

• Stephanie says:

I posted over in Shoeperwoman, but I wanted to voice my support here too (because I love Forever Amber:-)) I have to say if imitation is a from a flattery…you must be the most prized woman in Scotland.
    Seriously though, this “imitator” clearly knows what she is doing to you and just doesn’t care. She doesn’t care legally, morally or ethically. Very sad that people are like that. I hate that you have to use your energy time and money to fight her. I hope she finds from the response that it is NOT worth her effort and the results of her choice resulted in the kind of PR she didn’t want. Because there is only one you and she can’t be you not matter what she calls herself! :-)

• Drea says:

O.o I had a look on her blog and the disclaimer has gone. She’s deleted it. It’s discusting what she has done, even if she didn’t know about you she should have done some research to check if anything was already up.

• Sandy says:

I was about to post on your Shoeperwoman but then the name stealer posted and it got all super-duper serious and as I didn’t have anything influential to write I ended up not posting! (I’m such a wimp!)

I do however note she lives pretty close to me….want me to go and leer at her?!? LOL! I AM joking!!

Good luck with it all and I hope you manage to keep your name.

• karmarat says:

What a “c you next tuesday” that lady is. How lazy of her, and how obvious! I really hope you prevail.

• maz aka MallyMon says:

I’ve commented elsewhere but also posting here to say how absolutely audacious this woman is, trying to be successful on the back of someone else’s hard work. She has no scruples at all, shame on her.

• MsVeve says:

You have been one of my favorite bloggers since I came across Shoewawa years ago and have been a fan every since. Wishing you the most luck and you have my support, with linking to the one and only shoeperwoman.com and if worst comes to worse donation:) I have little to offer but you blog needs to live on! Hope you are well and thinking of you, Terry and Rubin.

• Andrea says:

I feel a bit silly now for not knowing about this shoe blog as I am a fan of Forever Amber and Hey Dollface. Are there any others I should know about?!

I hope that this gets resolved without you having to resort to legal action. I’m sure you have clear proof that you were there first, and all of us will vouch for that anyway! x

Thanks Andrea, I really appreciate it!

All of the blogs I run are linked from the top of the page, and if you click on the “Elsewhere” tab in the main menu, you can read more about them :)

• Andrea says:

How silly of me! I’ve probably never noticed because I read them in a minimised window when I’m supposed to be working! x

• Kyutipye says:

I have been away for a while and was horrified to return to this! You have my full support. I had just been going throughold posts of mine (at my husband’s urging)and watermarking pictures, little did I know you were going through something worse. It is very low of her to try and get a free ride off of your hard work and I hope your position in this is recognised. You would think she would back off after Terry has offered her all the help to set up an identity of her own! I know you asked ud to link to your site, but since my blog is about food, I can’t do much of that. What else can we do to help? All the best!