Three weeks and counting…

Well, folks, we’re getting scarily close to the final countdown on our trip to California. It’s not quite three weeks to go, but… almost. And to be completely honest with you, this has surprised the hell out of me. When I looked at my calendar in order to find out what number to put in that headline I was all, “HOW many weeks? Surely that must be some mistake?” But no, it’s true: I have roughly three weeks in which to write two months worth of content for two websites (Er, we’re only going to be away for three weeks, but I need to write two months worth because… actually, never mind, it’s too boring to get into. Just trust me.) and I could not be more freaked out by that if I tried.

(Yes, you guessed it: this is my bi-annual “WAH, I HAVE TOO MANY BLOGS, FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS!” post. Oh, don’t say you weren’t expecting it. The truth is that certain other events of the past few weeks have dominated my mind to such an extent that I haven’t even been able to think about the holiday much at all, far less get excited about it, and I’ve managed to get waaaaay behind with my workload. This makes me feel sad. Poor holiday! I will have to make it up to it somehow. Maybe by blogging about in incessantly from now until I leave?)

Anyway, in the next three weeks I need to:

• Write two month’s worth of blog content. No biggie. *assumes hysterical, mad-eyed look*
  • Buy a new carry-on of the absolute maximum size possible to take on the flight. I’m planning on doing a bit of shopping over there, you see.
  • Book an eye test to enable my next batch of contact lenses to be released to me, as it will be handy to be able to actually SEE California when I get there.
  • Come to some kind of decision on the all-important issue of the The Fringe. To trim or not to trim, that is the question? (That actually WAS the question in Shakespeare’s first draft of Hamlet, by the way. They made him change it, which I think was a mistake, because EVERYONE cares about fringes, don’t they? It is the eternal question of our time.)
  • Book salon appointment in response to this decision. Or maybe just get Terry to cut it for me?*
  • Buy some other random crap that I have decided I MUST HAVE NOW.
  • Clean the house from top to bottom. I always do this before taking a trip. It’s in case I die while I’m away and someone else has to come and clear out the house. Like always wearing clean underwear in case you’re in an accident, you know?
  • Load some new reading material onto my Kindle.
  • Try to remember the one million and one MUST DO things that popped into my mind at 3am last night when I couldn’t sleep, but which I can’t for the life of me remember now.
  • Pack.

I should probably get started on all of that…

*JOKING! I’M JOKING! Maybe.

• Roisin says:

I know your to-do list is scarily immense, but SO EXCITING! And if you need some help with content I’d be thrilled to do a few guest posts for you, as a wee going-on-holiday-present x

Aww, that’s so sweet of you – and I may well take you up on it, depending on how things go! I’m particularly annoyed with myself because this was going to be my least stressful, best-prepared run up to a holiday yet: at the start of the year I totally changed the way I work, purely so I’d not have these mad panics if I decide to go somewhere, but then last month happened, and all of my careful planning went out the window. I was honestly completely shocked when I realised how close it is – I haven’t even been thinking about it!

• Yay! Three weeks until Cali! Oh how I wish I could say that! I wanted to go to Iceland for a long weekend with my boyfriend, and then realized I can in no way go on vacation until I have the final manuscript of my book handed over to the publisher, which probably won’t happen until July. Humph. But we all know that is just another first world problem ^^ Or as we Germans say “ein Luxusproblem” :-) About the to-do lists keeping you up at night, I heavily recommend writing that shit down. It tremendously clears the mind…

Oh yeah and don’t forget to have a fun trip :-D (Put that on the list ^^)

Relatable Style

Haha, that’s partly what this post is for – I have to write it down or it drives me insane!

I totally love the phrase “Ein Luxusproblem” – I think I might make that the next tagline of my blog :)

• Hayley Jane says:

Am jealous about the trip to California. I’m in the same country even and I’ve never made the 1800 mile trek (and I REALLY want to see the giant sequoias…and the Pacific coast…). Ah, well. I’ll live vicariously through you.

• Ruth says:

Ahh jealous! Have a great holiday, you deserve it! And I’m sure Terry COULD cut your fringe, but for the sake of your sanity I think a hairdresser is the only option :P

• Nikki G says:

I feel your pain, I really do. The time leading up to a long vacation has to be the most stressful time, ever. The lists of things to do and pack, the constant worrying that something has been forgotten, and worst of all – will all of my stuff fit in my bags?!?! I am gearing up for my two week European vacay and every time I check the calendar another month has crept by and I am no closer to being ready! But for you, the only advice I can give is this: keep the fringe. It looks great on you!

• Terry says:

You need an updated picture of that map my Love, the lack of pins makes it look like I have not been planning and I would HATE people to think I am not a planner :P

• bonita says:

~ * ♥ * ~

Frantic cleaning of the house before a trip away? That’s exactly what I do too Amber! Except at the moment it’s frantic cleaning of the house every other day because I have to have to spotless for when the baby arrives… I know, I know, the baby doesn’t care about my skirting boards; but I do! > O <

xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

• MsVeve says:

Haha love Terry’s comment about crazy planning:) My boy had every day planned ahead with maps and lists etc for our London trip and it’s nice being the chaotic element of trip:) btw, was wondering: how are you gonna do the shoe challenge posts while you’ll be away? enjoy your holiday! Happy shoe shopping!

I’m not going to be doing any work at all when I’m away I’m afraid: even Shoeperwoman needs some time off :) And I don’t think I’d be very popular with my family if I insisted on spending hours in front of the computer every day!

• Blimey! that sounds like soooooo much work!!! but I completely understand you, it’s just that I suck at scheduling posts…I managed to do a really good job over the xmas holidays, as I spent a week in Spain, but I would love to do it on a regular basis and I just suck at it!!

ABout the fringe…go on go on go ooooonnnnnn (à la Father Ted) it would look lovely on you :)

I already have it! I’m just trying to decide whether to keep letting it grow out or get it trimmed back to how it was – it’s at that in-between stage now, which is driving me insane! But I didn’t like it when it was first done either, so I’m thinking I might just have to try and live with it for a while longer :)

• Mel says:

seriously don’t cut it! I had a fringe cut for my wedding I somehow thought it would look better in photos, I hated it straight away and am so glad it has grown back, it’s taken a year but I won’t be doing it again (it actually looked nice in my wedding pics as I had a 50’s dress and it went with that) what is it with women and fringes??

• Nina says:

Hmmm on the fringe – I like side fringes a lot! Would suit you, I think! I’m totally with you on the whole to-do-list issue, I’m only several days away from the deadline of my thesis and it’s nerve-wrecking, really. How do people survive that? (I guess time management would have been the clue, aah the wisdom of hindsight ;))
    Anyhoo, I’m glad you’ll get to go to your favourite place on earth again :) I’d love to get there one day, too!
    And btw, (and I hope you don’t get me wrong here) I found a funny link I wanted to show you – remember when you once said your resting face was more like a frown and people look at you akwardly because of that? Look at this art poster: http://designismine.blogspot.com/2011/05/chronic-bitchface.html
    (please don’t misunderstand the title of the post, okay? :))
    Best wishes from summery Germany!

Very good :)

A sideways fringe is what I have at the moment – just trying to decide whether to keep it or get rid!

I’ve actually never been to California before – first time for us all :) I have a feeling it will very quickly become a favourite place, though!

• Nina says:

Keep, keep, keep, I say! :) You’re right, you’ve always been to Florida – my bad. But it IS southern USA, ha ^^ So I’m still jealous, but you deserve your holiday, so I hope you have lots of fun and bring back some cool photos and video clips (this is to you, Terry!) :)
    Best wishes!