Forget Something?

Every Monday, Terry and I have dinner with my in-laws, and we normally take Rubin along with us. Last Monday was no exception, and, as it turned out, my brother-in-law and nephew were there  when we arrived, and my sister-in-law turned up a bit later with our niece, so everyone was talking and laughing, and Terry and I lost track of time slightly.

As it turned, out, however, time wasn’t the ONLY thing we lost track of.

As we stood up to leave, we heard the sound of an ice-cream van pulling into the street. Terry is pretty much addicted to ice-cream, so we quickly gathered our things, said our goodbyes, and I got into the car while he ran across the street to buy himself some ice cream.

Unfortunately, most of the kids in the street had the same idea, so there was a line. Terry joined it, and I pulled out my phone so I could pass the time checking my email and Twitter, and basically messing around on the Internet. I’d been doing this for a few minutes, when I glanced up and saw my mother-in-law come out of the house, her arms waving as she tried to get my attention. She seemed to be trying to tell me that I’d left something in the house. Hmmm.

Now, me leaving something would not be AT ALL out of the ordinary. I leave things. It’s what I do. As soon as I get home after a visit to my own parents, the first thing I do is to check my email to find out what I’ve left behind THIS time. When we get home from Terry’s mum’s, meanwhile, we’ll regularly get a phone call a few minutes later, to say that Amber has left her coat/bag/phone/wallet/giant messy bun head/brain there. I’ve been doing this kind of thing my whole life long. When I was in school, for instance, the bell would ring, signalling the end of classes for the day, and I would often just stand up and walk out, leaving my bag, coat and EVERYTHING ELSE I OWNED behind me.

This time, though, I was sure I was good. I was wearing my jacket, my handbag was on my knee, my phone was in my hand. I wracked my brain, trying to think what I could possibly have left behind. I mean, the only other thing we’d had with us when we arrived was…

“THE DOG!” shouted my mother-in-law. “You’ve forgotten the dog!”

And we had.

We had got up, put on our coats, and just walked out, leaving Rubin behind. Oh. My. God.

Just to set your minds at rest, Rubin was totally unperturbed by this. I mean, he’s stayed with my in-laws lots of times when Terry and I have been on holiday, and he sees them every week, so he feels totally at home there. He also tends to eat much better there than he ever does at our house, which is probably why, rather than following us to the door, he simply remained where he was, hoping that, sooner or later, one of the people present would drop a morsel of food on the floor and he would be able to swoop in and get it. So he was fine.

Even so, though, people, even so: WE FORGOT WE HAD OUR DOG WITH US.

And this, my friends, is why Terry and I have never tried our hands at parenting.

• char says:

i forget everything, i really do! i am worried that, at 24, i’m going through some kind of early elderly phase, as i so often forget to pick something up which i have left out on the side so as to remember before i leave the house, or i get up to the flat and forgot what i came up for. it’s scary!

• Roisin says:

It’s not your fault. Those ice-cream van jingles are designed to drive every other thought out of your head! I’m forgetful too – one major reason why I don’t plan to have children, I’d be that mother who leaves her child behind on the bus. I’m fine with that, though.

• Natalie says:

We’ve done this before! Left our dog at my grandparents. And we had driven for 10 mins before we realised. In fact, the only reason we realised is because we had taken a detour through a park and saw someone walking a dog just like ours. Imagine if we hadn’t taken the detour and hadn’t realised until we’d gotten home, 40 mins drive away! Poor puppy. Rubin isnt alone in the world of people forgetting puppies!

• KON says:

Rubin must have felt very adult, like “they leave me behind, so they are confident in me feeding myself”

But thats a thing which would never happen to me. My dog is tailing me all the time indoors. Or even worse, standing in front of me, expecting something awesome to happen…

Its more annoying, that Ivo has no problem of leaving me behind, when he meets someone outside he’s familiar with. >.>”

• Karen says:

That’s hilarious! LOL. My dog would be the same way. She’ll stay anywhere that people like to give her treats (esp. my mom’s house!), and maybe I should have thought more carefully about becoming a parent myself, because a few weeks ago, after work, I was so distracted after picking up my 4-year old from preschool that I got all the way home (and out of the car) before I realized I had forgotten to pick up my 8-year old from day-camp! :o

I went back and was luckily only a few minutes late, but of course my 4-year old told her big sister that I had forgotten to go get her. I’m hoping she’ll forgive me before she leaves home for college. LOL.

• Katie says:

Another one here (shamed face) who has forgotten kids – I left work in a rush knowing I had to get all three of us to the dentist 6 miles away on a very tight schedule – and I got 5 miles from work (and the girls holiday playscheme) before I realised I was on my own!

• Sage says:

Aw, poor Rubin! That’s sad and funny. :) I’m sure he didn’t take offense.

• msveve says:

My grandma once left my Dad when he was a kid, she was a doctor in a village and one day had to do rounds and took him along. But he couldn’t do inside with her and so he was waiting outside, after the appointment she left to go home and got home and there realized that my Dad was still out there! So she went back and poor little guy was still waiting in front of the house where she forgot him.

And my mum & dad once forgot me in a store! But apparently they came back and I was still in the aile where they left me, eyeing some sweets :D

• hehehehe too funny, and I’d like to say “poor Rubin” but as you say, he was just waiting to see if anyone dropped any interesting bits of food. In fact, maybe it wasn’t a case of you forgetting your dog, but your dog conveniently staying behind, wolves are sneaky like that ;)

• Jen says:

I’ve gone out for a dog walk and forgotton to take the dog! I had lead, treats and do-do bags, but no dog. I hope I haven’t got Alka Seltzers disease!

• colormap says:

hahahahaha! I love these hilarious posts! But don’t feel too badly, I have done some very similar things before. You should gather all of your fumbles into a little book so that whenever someone is in a bad mood we can share those little laughs with you.

Some of my favorites include the time you used nail polish remover as toner, and that time you got frustrated and cut your own fringe! Ahhhh good times, good times.

One time I brushed my teeth with antibiotic ointment. I wish I could blame alcohol, but it was just super early in the morning.

• Hi there!
    Only just found your blog and I love it! Having not read it before I didn’t know who Rubin was, then…… the picture. Aahww, how I love Bichon Frise’s. I have one of my own called Flossie and coincidently it’s her birthday today, she’s 5 years old.

Post coming up soon about Flossie on my blog. x