Products That Are Certain to be Discontinued: Superdrug Colour Effects Conditioning Colour

As some of you may recall, I am the kiss of death when it comes to beauty products, in the sense that as soon as I find something I love, it is almost certain to be discontinued immediately. This is particularly true of colour-depositing conditioners for redheads, which I appear to be doomed to spend my life searching for, only for them to be discontinued as soon as I come across them.

So far I’ve managed to to get both John Frieda Radiant Red Color Glaze and Wella Lifetex Color Reflex Mask discontinued. This sucks, because apart from that one time when the Wella product turned my hair bright orange, they were great products: basically deep conditioners, but with a bit of added colour which made my hair a little more vibrant and, well, redder.

And then they discontinued them. Gah.

This month, however, a new product has entered my life, and I like it so much I feel duty-bound to warn you all in advance that it will probably be discontinued any day now. It’s Superdrug’s Colour Effects Wash In, Wash Out Conditioning Colour in Warm Copper Gold (fairly trips off the tongue, no?), you use it in the shower, just like a regular conditioner, and it adds nice, coppery-gold highlights to your hair, which you totally can’t see in this photo, but here it is, anyway:

It’s hard to photograph your own head, apparently. It’s also kind of pointless, because my hair colour can look totally different, depending on the lighting, what time of day it is, the angle of the photo… But yeah. Here is the back of my head, last week. You’re welcome!

This is only 99p per bottle, which is another sure sign that it won’t last. In fact, I became so paranoid that it would be discontinued that when I couldn’t find it on the Superdrug website, I sent them an email saying, “You’re totally discontinuing the Colour Effects Conditioner, aren’t you? Aren’t you?” They assure me they’re not, but…we’ll see. In the meantime, and in the interests of balance, I have to report that it’s kind of crappy AS a conditioner, in that it doesn’t do much for, you know, the actual condition of my hair, and I’ve been having to use my regular conditioner afterwards, or I emerge from the shower looking a bit like this. But still: 99p! And also available in other colours, which I’m afraid I didn’t pay any attention to, because I only have eyes for the redhead stuff.

Now, who wants to place bets on how soon it will be discontinued?

(Er, I wasn’t paid for this post, by the way. I just sound like I was.)

UPDATE 18/5/12: I’ve been getting lots of comments lately from people saying they’re having problems finding this product and that it’s been discontinued… No, it hasn’t: you can buy it online here.

• Rachel says:

Good news, I shall be gracing my local Superdrug tonight to buy some. Thanks :)

• diTaykan says:

Why not use henna?

Because henna is a semi-permanent dye which can take several hours to apply, and I was looking for a colour-depositing conditioner which would be quick to use and wash out if I didn’t like it.

• Moni says:

It’s not just you. Last year I discovered that Nivea had shampoo and conditioner for different hair colours. I bought the ones for brown hair and was totally thrilled – only to find that the next time I wanted to buy it that very product line didn’t exist anymore. Except for the “blonde” products, of course. (Obviously blondes not only have more fun, but always get the best hair products.)
    Oh, and the Garnier “Forming Water” (the only way to deal with my ornery swirl in the back) is now only available for “curly hair”. Thanks so much! :(

Obviously blondes not only have more fun, but always get the best hair products

Haha, so true! And it’s not just shampoos, conditioners etc: several times now I’ve been approached by companies asking me if I’d like to review clip-in hair extensions, but as soon as I send them a photo of my hair to match it, they conclude they just don’t have a single colour that would work. Apparently there are hundreds of different ways to be blonde or brunette, but only one or two ways to be red (and it’s always a very fake-looking dyed red, at that.) I know we’re in the minority, but I also know I get a lot of traffic to this site and Hey, Dollface from redheads looking for this stuff, so the market is there to be exploited!

• Jeannine says:

I do this too! My favorite bodywash (Dove Waterlily and Mint) is now discontinued, as is my shade (#0) in Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse foundation. And did they discontinue the foundation? Umm… no… just my shade, and only my shade. If you’re darker than me, you can still run out and buy it. But, the “we’re so pale that we have to buy foundation in zero instead of one” people now have no foundation.

P.S. Anyone found light foundation that is also very yellow? I have problems finding makeup that is golden enough for my skin… And the Dream Matte was an exact match once applied…

I don’t know about very yellow, but I use Bobbi Brown foundation in Alabaster, which is the palest I’ve found, and has a yellowish undertone…

• Andrea says:

This may be a dumb suggestion, as in of course you’ve thought of this, but have you ever just put some regular hair dye into your regular conditioner? That’s pretty common practice for fans of manic-panic type colors. I would think it would work for any all-over colors as well.

I haven’t, because I don’t really want to change the colour, just to enhance the reds a bit (and also because I don’t really trust myself with permanent dyes). This seems to be exactly what I’m looking for at the moment, but I will bear that in mind if it does get discontinued :)

• Kim says:

I’m not lucky enough to be a natural red head and have struggled for about a year now to find a natural looking permanent ‘auburn’ coloured dye. They’re either too dark, or too orange.

I’ve finally found one that produces near enough the result I’m looking for – but the problem is, that it fades really quickly – so I might see if this conditioner will extend my colour between dyes!

• Effy says:

Do you dye your hair? this is the exact colour i want to achieve! if yes what kind of hair dye do you use?

• Amanda says:

Hi Amber!
    You have gorgeous hair, my is not so vibrant as yours but still like to use something to enhance my hair colour.
    There is none of the colour effects colorant in superdrug left, I have run out of my supply and like you don’t know what to use now.HELP!
    Amanda

• Hilary Battersby says:

I too am getting “frantic” about this product. I’ve used it for a few years now to liven up my natural colour and it’s absolutely brilliant…really does the trick. Warm copper gold mixed with Honey blonde is perfect for my hair. I emailed Superdrug yesterday & they say the manufacturers are having trouble getting hold of a certain ingredient & as soon as they do it will be back in the shops…they reckon about 2 months! It’s been pretty scarce for some time now and I can’t find ANY anywhere! :-(

• Gill says:

I discovered this product about 6 months ago, cheap and effective. I too, was amazed and thought it would be too good to last but told myself off for being negative. Wrong! Just been on the Superdrug website and could find it nowhere, then found your website!! It is so annoying, I hope the last comment is true and that it will be back in Superdrug in about 2 months. Meantime not sure what to do …

I actually bought some on Tuesday – there were only a few bottles of the red, but they had plenty of the other shades: I’ve actually never seen it on the Superdrug website, though, so maybe it’s an issue with particular stores?

• Kim Hutton says:

I love this toner. I dye my hair bright red and I used to put bottles of the darker red stuff right in my shampoo bottle and get a little bit every time I put some on. Then when I bleached my hair earlier this year, I used the cool blonde stuff to dull down the orange tones. Back to red again so trying to get more of the red stuff. Seems the red and the cool blonde are the most popular as they were always empty on the shelves. Glad Superdrug still do this as Boots and other brands seem to have done away with wash in wash out colours. :(

• aislinn says:

i love the coll effects blonde version of this…. my life will be over it discontinues

• Jasmine says:

I brought this today in the colour burgandy as I have really dark, thick hair, but I wanted a nice red tint. So happy with the results!

• Rebecca says:

I love this colour conditioner for its colouring effects, I find that it really does keep my copper locks looking vibrant, although it doesn’t leave my hair in very good condition. Another colour conditioner that I use from time to time is ‘Fudge Colour Conditioner’ in copper, I find that it leaves my hair feeling extremely soft and really does leave my hair looking extremely vibrant! :)

• pat saints says:

has superdrugs own colour effects conditioning shampoo? if not when will it be back
    on the shelves

• pat saints says:

has superdrugs own brand ..colour effects conditioning shampoo in honey blond
      been discontinued ? if not when will it be back on the shelves ?

Hi,

I don’t actually have any connection to Superdrug, so I’m afraid I’m not able to answer these questions. Your best bet would be to contact Superdrug themselves!

Hi,

• @indiagrey @RachDowdeswell I use this colour at home. It’s brilliant. Takes just 5 mins, costs 99p. Reviewed here: http://t.co/Sb35WEFDYP

• Courtney says:

How can I get this in the US???! I have been looking for something like this forever! Does anyone have any ideas? Any products that are similar?