Hurricane Amber

blue dress high heels

DRESSEMBER, Day 7
Dress, ASOS; scarf, H&M; shoes, Kurt Geiger c/o Idealo.co.uk)

So, are you all suitably impressed that I haven’t complained about the weather yet? Even although the OMGSNOW came last week, and on day one, all everyone could talk about was the OMGSNOW, and on day two all everyone could talk about was how all everyone could talk about was the OMGSNOW? And now I’m talking about everyone talking about everyone talking about the OMGSNOW, and so the circle is complete. Although, if you could all now comment about the fact that I’m commenting about the fact that people are commenting about… actually, on second thoughts, let’s not do that, OK?

Anyway, on Day 3, the snow rested, by which I mean, “it melted, THANK YOU GOD.” And honestly, it wasn’t that bad: the fact is, I have no flights or holidays planned which the snow could conceivably ruin, and I think it realised that, so it didn’t linger, and I didn’t complain.

Then this week, the wind came.

Did I mention that I hate the wind? The wind is, like, my second most hated type of weather (Most Hated is snow, obviously, but I think that goes without saying by now), and I hate it because… well, because it messes up my hair, basically. It also managed to wreak complete and utter havoc with everything else, too, though. It was as if the wind thought, “Ha, I’ll show this snow how it’s done!” and then it proceeded to do just that. So by lunchtime yesterday all the schools were closed, our fence had blown down for the fifth year running, there was rubbish all over the street, courtesy of the bins that had blown over, Rubin was barking at his own shadow, and all everyone could talk about was the OMGWIND.

“Let’s go outside and take Dressember photos in the WIND,” I said to Terry. “They will be dramatic, and kinda cool. And even if they’re not, at least they’ll be more interesting than YET ANOTHER PHOTO of me standing in front of my shoes like a rabbit caught in the headlights.”

So, yeah, THAT worked out well:

red hair in the wind

And the rest were totally unusable. Remember that time my hair tried to kill me? THAT.

As this is Day 8 of Dressember, though (Yes, I know today is the 9th, but these photos are from yesterday), I suppose I better talk about the dress. As you can see, this dress is neither green nor black. Indeed, it is blue, and this particular shade of blue is currently the holder of the prestigious title of “Amber’s Second-Favourite Colour”. (Oh, hi, did I mention I’m still in high school, by the way? “Blue, you can be my second-favourite colour! And green, you are the MOST favourite colour, like, 4 eva!”) This dress is also a Problem Dress (TM). As well as having to have a substantial chunk cut off the bottom (I’m all about the midi skirts, but when it’s “midi” on the model, it’s “midaxi” on me, it has a funny waist. Or rather, I have a funny waist.

I, you see, was cursed with a long torso. (Which is a really weird curse to put on someone, but anyway) This means that the waistlines of most dresses hit just below my ribcage as opposed to on the natural waist, and also means that I can make almost anything look like maternity wear. I generally solve this problem by just belting everything (and this dress particularly needs a belt, because as well as being too high, the waist is kind of ugly), but the belt that came with the dress was cheap and plastic looking (also: lime green, which just so happens to be the only green I DON’T like), and none of the 11,564 belts in my collection were quite right, somehow, so I ended up having to press this H&M scarf into service instead. And then the wind pulled it in all directions, and you can see the waistline anyway, GOD.

However, let the record show that I have dutifully worn a dress for the 8th day in a row. Let it also show that I have now written 700 words about this, which is really too much for a post about a dress, especially a Friday post, which no one will read anyway, so I’ll shut up now.

Have a good weekend, everyone! (And remember, you can find lots more Dressember dresses here, and I bet none of them use ill-fitting scarves as belts, either!)
P.S. For some reason, my blog has decided to mark around 90% of comments as spam, and block them accordingly: it’s even doing it to my replies, so if your comment doesn’t appear, please don’t take it personally – you haven’t been blocked or anything, it’s just the spam filter and until we manage to work out what’s wrong with it, I will keep checking and approving the comments that end up there!

• Selina says:

The scarf works perfectly as a belt. In fact until you mentioned it I assumed it was the belt that came with the dress. (Love that colour by the way, it’s one of my favourites too, although on my list it’s number three.)

• Elise says:

I’m reading! And this dress is my fave colour in the world, loving it! I could moan about the rotten wind all day, last night I actually took my car to my friends house round corner from work just so as not to get blown over while walking in heels…its a mad world! :)

• Lauren Cooke says:

I assumed the belt (Scarf. Belt. Scarf) came with it – it goes really well – and is clearly built for “quick, flap in the wind interestingly” type photoshoots!

• Kerry says:

OK Amber, I just have to warn you to NEVER EVER COME TO NEW ZEALAND. Well, at least not to my town of Wellington. It is actually known as Windy Wellington and I have never once successfully made it to work with a hairstyle intact. This is why I’m always impressed with hairstyles online – my point of comparison is a bird’s nest.

But on to the important stuff, ie. clothes and shoes.
    You look awesome in blue and it is my FIRST favourite colour. I can see what you mean about the funny waist, they can so easily cheapen a really lovely dress. But your scarf solution works really well here I think, and just adds to the windblown effect!

• Sandy says:

Scarf as belt is a complete winner in my book!

Love that dress too…alas they have none left (I’d go for black..yay…exciting “colour”!) in my big girl size. Boooo.

I see from the weather forecast there still might be OMGSNOW yet tho! Not that you want to hear that really. Oops!

• KON says:

The colour is plain awesome, would love to wear it for myself. Without the wind, because I already experienced this years storms, that was quite annoying. Ours were called “Eckart” and “Wilfried”, what about yours?

• Call me M says:

Hey Amber! It’s still Friday, and I just read your 700 words post, which made me smile again, and I’m sure many people already did or will do the same. So don’t you worry.
    The color of this dress is lovely, it’s one of my favourite colors too. Although I think that every color looks great on you, with your amazing contrasting red hair.
    I have to say that I hate wind too! It’s actually the first on my hate list, snow is much lower. We had strong wind too yesterday, and it was incredibly cold, plus my hair was flying in every direction. Hate it! I think my list goes something like this: wind, extremely cold temperatures (for me), rain, extremely hot temperatures and then snow. But snow usually melts really quick here. So I miss it. :)

• Sara says:

That’s a great dress, and you look beautiful as always, despite the weather trying to sabotage your photos :) I rather like blue too, and I’m trying to wear more of it. (I figure that blue is to blondes as green is to redheads).

I hate the wind too. It is my most hated weather feature(I’m ok with snow – probably because we don’t get snow here), for many reasons (not the least of which is that it interferes with my dress-wearing).

• Siel says:

That dress is divine! ASOS is always torturing me with their midi dresses… That shade of blue is also my second favourite colour, after red :) It just looks good on redheads, don’t you think? Although nothing ever looks bad on you! ;)

• Amy says:

Doesn’t everyone have favorite colors and second-favorite colors and so on? No? How about favorite color to wear, favorite color because it’s just pretty, favorite color for home decor? Hm.
    That is a gorgeous blue.

• Selina says:

Try a waistcoat to rein in the waist and give the dress some shape. I always wear waistcoats instead of belts with these dresses, it’s a brilliant way of shaping and restructuring