I have to admit I sometimes lied in those letters, tried to make life better than it was

green Pinup Couture Joanie dress

Dress: Pinup Couture ‘Joanie’ dress
Shoes: Next (from last year)

It’s Day One of Dressember, and I’m starting the way I mean to go on: by wearing a green dress. (I should just have renamed my particular challenge “Greendressember”, and been done with it, really, shouldn’t I?) Oh yeah, and by totally cheating. Because while I AM wearing this dress today (or at least, I WILL be, once I, er, get out of my workout clothes.*), these photos were actually taken on Sunday, when I wore it on our little afternoon tea jaunt. I did manage to resist wearing a pair of little white gloves with it, for full “ladylike” effect, but don’t think I didn’t consider it. Maybe next time!

(Yes, I do own a pair of little white dress gloves. Doesn’t everyone?)

green Joanie dress

And that right there is the reason why Dressmber is going to be more of a challenge this year than I really anticipated. You see, last year when I did this, I went on holiday for two weeks right slap in the middle of the challenge. To a hot place. (Have I mentioned that I like the sun? And hate the winter? Maybe once or twice, or a million times?) And this, of course, meant that I had access to all of my summer dresses as well as my winter ones, and the weather to wear them in. As it turns out, the vast majority of my favourite dresses are summery ones. My aversion to tights (which I am actually wearing in these photos, by the way – my trusty nude fishnets will surely earn their keep this month!) means that I appear to have focused my dress obsession on dresses which are totally impractical, and which I wouldn’t be able to wear this month, even if I hadn’t already packed them all away: go me! So if I do manage to continue with this challenge, there will be repeats. There will be lots of dresses you’ve already seen. And, well, let’s be honest: a helluva lot of them will be GREEN…

green Pinup Couture 'Joanie' dress

(Title lyric: Hello Saferide, Long Lost Penpal)

*(Seriously, why must I be plagued with the curse of honesty-in-blogging? I mean, I could just have told you that these photos were taken RIGHTTHISVERYSECOND, couldn’t I? And then you wouldn’t be picturing me sitting in my ratty workout gear, with my hair scraped back and no makeup on. But I just couldn’t do it. I will do better tomorrow, I promise. Maybe.)

• Louise says:

Even though I’m not doinf Dressember I can’t wait to nosey at everyone’s dress collections. X

• Ursula says:

Oh, I love Hello Saferide and this song!
    And you’ve influenced me, I’m considering getting nude fishnet tights too now.

I really recommend them… The normal nudes never seem to look right on me, but these let me wear tights without really looking (or feeling) like I’m wearing them, which is a very good thing as far as I’m concerned. And they’re warmer than I would have expected too, which is always a bonus.

(Yay for Hello Saferide! This is one of my favourites, too – I’ve been humming it all day after writing this :) )

• Ursula says:

If you don’t know them already, I would also recommend the singer’s other band Säkert. They have two albums in Swedish, but they have recently released one with English translations, “På engelska”.

• Amy says:

Aw, you should have worn your gloves to tea! Wearing a dress every day this month would be impossible (I live in one of the coldest parts of the US, besides Alaska) but I wish I could join you!

• Roisin says:

You look adorable, as always! I love the collar on that frock, and whatever the circumstances I think it’s got Dressember off to a good start x

• the f girl says:

What a gorgeous dress. This is the first time I heard about dressember, but I sure look forward to seeing the rest of your dresses now I have seen this first one. Beautiful!

• That colour looks UH-mazing on you!

Good luck with Dressember :)

• Lauren says:

I love the colour, so unusual and really pretty!

You look fabulous as always and I am looking forward to your dresses as much as the shoes!

• Caroline says:

See, all Dressember is good for is making me wildly envious of your dress collection!

Not that I’m complaining here, just seething with jealousy… :)

• KON says:

Well, wearing more dresses is kind of my agenda for 2012, since I think the right dress makes you look much more grown up than jeans and converse (why, oh why). But last time I tried on one of my favos, I didn’t fit in. Which is a phenomenon I never experienced in my whole life. Supershocking….but maybe I give it another go…I really cannot find where I am to fat >.>”

But you will be my ideal in wearing dresses (except for the colour, green is for the redheads and snow whites).

Oh no! Maybe the dress has shrunk?

• KON says:

That was my excuse. My boyfriend just said I look more womanly, which totally means I’m fat.

After my long dogwalk today, I will give it a try and report back :)

• KON says:

OK, the dress somehow fits…but now I realised, that short sleeves are too cold for Berlin in winter (even though its pretty warm this year). Seems like I have to knit a cardigan or so…
          Life is hard.

I feel your pain: one of my biggest pet peeves is the fact that so few dresses seem to have long sleeves (although I have managed to find a few this year: really hope that particular trend continues!) . Even three-quarter length ones can be too cold for me so I buy nice dresses and then have to cover them up with cardigans all the time. Life IS hard!

• Kerry says:

I say start as you mean to go on – slightly bending the rules! I’m doing the same, having started Dressember with two days of skirt wearing. Although, I’m sure plenty of ladies will be doing the same on occasion.

Love that green, it’s almost a chartreuse which is such a hard colour to find.

And your hair looks positively shampoo commercial worthy :-)

• That dress looks spectacular on you! I clicked on the link and it’s sold out, but I also didn’t like the dress so much on the model. I think the shape and color are just made for you. Those are very high heels by the way, can you walk in those?

• mitrfriend says:

Love the combo of green dress with nude pumps…Roaming-About in Style