They paved the parking lot, put up paradise

green dress

(Dress, Dorothy Perkins (sold out); Shoes, French Connection c/o Spartoo)

Last summer, workmen dramatically tore down the old office building I used to work in, and started building a gigantic Primark in its place. It was kind of like the opposite of paving paradise and putting up a parking lot, although only if your definition of “paradise” involves fighting people to the death for that last polyester skirt in your size. And actually, they DID also put up a parking lot, too,  so it wasn’t really like that AT ALL, other than in the sense that ANYTHING would seem like “paradise” after that office block. (I may have to go back and delete that line later.)

Anyway, getting a Primark was a big deal for our town. We only got the round wheel, and, you know, FIRE, a few years ago, so to have a gigantic Primark is something of a coup. We were all, “Haha, Edinburgh, take that! You can keep your poxy castle: we got us a POLYESTER PALACE, by God!” And then Edinburgh was all, “Actually, we’re getting one too, AND we have Zara. Also: Anthopologie. And did we mention Harvey Nichols?” and we all felt a bit stupid after that.

Now, as it happens, my idea of paradise doesn’t actually include fighting people over a dress, although don’t think I wouldn’t do it if I had to. But I needed tights. Yes, my old nemesis, tights. And I wanted to get them from Primark, because, well, they’re cheap, and come in 150 denier, which is how I like ‘em.

(Note to all of the people who are about to tell me that I TOTALLY need to try Wolford tights and that even although they cost as much as a small car, I will never look back once I have tried them: NO. There is no way I’m doing that. I just don’t care enough about tights, sorry-I’m-not-sorry. And if it’s a choice between spending £20 on tights and spending £20 on a top, say, I know what I’m buying…)

So I needed tights, and I figured that as I was going to be spending money on something that would give me no pleasure whatsoever, I may as well make the experience even worse by going to this new Primark on the very day it opened. I know, what was I thinking? Because the fact is, I don’t really like people. And most people seem to live in the mall at this time of year. As you know, The Others make it their business to goad and torment me at all times, by getting all up in my face, crowding around me any chance they get, squeezing into tiny spaces of which I am the only other occupant, walking really slowly, and other acts of extreme evil like that.

But I needed tights. So I went, I saw, I shopped. And as we were at the mall, well it would’ve been rude not to have a look round all the other stores, too, wouldn’t it? My mum came with me, because sometimes I need someone to calm me down in these situations, and together we had a rare old time. Here is what I bought:

Yeeeeees. It says quite a lot about me, doesn’t it? I mean, can anyone guess which colours and patterns I like?

I also bought two pairs of trousers. This is why I’m officially giving up on Dressember. (Well, that and the fact that the posts were about as popular as … a really unpopular thing… and without the Internets to motivate me to take photos, I just won’t do it.) I want to wear my trousers, dammit. And also that skirt I just ordered from ASOS. (WITH A GIFT CARD, TERRY.) (Mum: it’s not the one I needed you to alter: you can stand down.) And I think that what I’ve learned from Dressember this time around is that, as much as I love my dresses, I also love my trousers and my skirts. And I don’t really like restricting myself to just one thing: in fact, as soon as you tell me to do that, I will want to do the exact opposite. I’m reminded of how, when I was a child and my parents would tell me I wasn’t to touch that new ornament/gadget/piece of expensive electrical equipment they’d just bought, I would nod solemnly in agreement, and then, the moment they left the room, I would go straight over and TOUCH THAT THING. And I would like it. And only once did I actually break it. (“It” just so happened to be a set of glass shelves containing glass ornaments, mind you, so… that was unfortunate.)

The tl;dr version of this post: I quit Dressember.

And I never did buy those tights…

• I added a Twitter login to my comments form, so now it’s ever easier to, er, not comment on my blog :)

• Cookie says:

Oh I’ll miss your Dressember :/ It is such an inspiration to me to splurge on dresses.

Lol, I assumed it had scared all my readers away!

Sadly, it was a bit too much of an inspiration for ME to splurge on dresses too: not that I needed an excuse, mind you :)

• Suzanne says:

I worked in WLH too and was quite giddy watching them tear it down. Haven’t ventured into Primark yet, but I do like thick tights, so might have a peep. Dress is gorgeous.

It was pretty weird seeing it go – it’s always been such a landmark, albeit an ugly one!

The Primark is a pretty good one – absolutely massive, though: the queue for the checkouts went on forever!

• Suya says:

Well, I don’t think you realy NEED doing Dressember… We’re getting a whole bunch of most awesome dresses from you all year! Maybe Dressember is for those of us who don’t usually wear dresses & want to start with that, but I kinda got the impression this is not your case :)

Yes, you’re right… I probably shouldn’t have said I’d do it, I’ve just been a bit stuck for stuff to write about here, and I thought at least it would give me some different content. Ah well, I’ll know better next year :)

• Amy says:

Well, living in the land of below freezing I will appreciate some inspiration on how to look chic wearing trousers! The dresses are lovely, but really I only break them out for my birthday, Christmas, New Year’s and Valentine’s day, so I was pretty envious of all your pretty winter frocks. ;)

• Louise says:

Noooo, I’m enjoying everyone’s Dressember efforts, despite not taking part myself. I ventured to Primark on Saturday just for tights… It was hell! Xx

• Siel says:

Haha, I feel the same! Every morning I’m standing in front of my closet wondering what to wear… and I really wanted to wear pants but then I was “NO! Only dresses allowed this month!” :) I was wearing skirts pretty much all the time anyway, and although I like the whole idea of dressing up, I like to choose what I wear myself! :)

and we don’t really have Primark here in Belgium (there’s one store on the other side of the country though)Don’t know if I should be happy about this or not! :)

• Sara says:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re giving up on Dressember, but I hope we’ll still get to see some of your lovely outfit photos :) I must say, I’m struggling with it a bit myself at the moment (not the dress wearing, but rather the photo-taking – it doesn’t help that I’m horribly ill and look hideous!), not to mention completely failing at the shoe challenge. I’ll definitely get back into saving shoes next month!

• Selina says:

I love Primark. Mainly because going to Primark means I’m in England, and I love going to England. But also because last year I got my favourite pair of knee-high fit-around-my-slightly-chubby-calves suede boots there. And 16YO Daughter got a gorgeous tutu-skirted dress which she has worn many many times since. Oh and socks. And leggings. And some more socks. And knickers. And 12YO Son got some undies. And there were some tshirts. Indeed we may have bought the entire store. In hindsight it’s possibly kind of sad that after a 24 hour plane trip one of the highlights of my three weeks in England was Primark. :D