The Green Floral Dress Goes to Lanark Loch

green floral sundress

redhead on swing

gold cork wedge shoes

UK fashion blog

(New Look dress (with belt worn as headband), Charlotte Russe shoes, Gucci sunglasses)

Yup, I’m STILL talking about last weekend, and how sunny it was, and how awesome it was that it was sunny, and hey, did I ever mention that I like the sun? I did? OK, let’s talk about the clothes, instead…

I got this dress in New Look a few years ago now. It has the distinction of being what I’m pretty sure is the only dress New Look have ever made which isn’t approximately butt-length. It’s certainly the only dress I’ve ever bought from them, because all the rest are either a) so short I couldn’t even sneeze in them without worrying about flashing my knickers, or  b) so high waisted that the waistline hits somewhere just under my armpits: not a good look.

(OK, that last point isn’t actually their fault: it’s because of my freakishly long torso, which means that almost all dresses are empire line on me. God, I HATE empire lines.)

What’s interesting about this dress, though (and by “interesting”, I mean, “not really, but it’s not like I have anything else to talk about right now”) is that when I bought it, I was still right at the very start of my dress obsession, and basically wearing a uniform of jeans and a top every single day in life. So each time I wore this dress (which actually wasn’t all that often, on account of how scared I was of being “different”), I felt like I was doing something really brave and revolutionary: wearing a DRESS, while all around me, people were wearing JEANS, by God. I felt a bit like Che Guevara or something. I expect one day people will sing songs about me around campfires and stuff, only not really, because seriously, when I look back now and think that just a few years ago a simple sundress was a huge departure for me, it just makes me laugh. If only my (slightly) younger self could see the inside of her closet now

In other news: swans!

swans

Rubin

Terry

Lanark Loch

(This photo makes me laugh so hard. Not because my mum and I ARE laughing in it -as is Rubin, actually –  but because my dad is so resolutely NOT. LAUGHING. He’s all, “GOD, lookit them! Why are they laughing? Why am I with these lunatics? Humbug!”)

Anyway, my closet may have changed since this dress was purchased, but the dress itself is still going strong, and for its latest adventure, I wore it on a day out to Lanark Loch with Terry and my parents. And Rubin, of course, who’d had a haircut by that point. (I feel I should point out that he DOES still have a tail, even although you can’t see it in the photo above…) Luckily, Terry had thought to check the weather report the night before, and we’d discovered that it was to be about 10 degrees warmer there than it would be on the east coast, and that was good enough for us, so off we went. Honestly, I’d have gone to Mordor if I thought it would have slightly better weather, I’m not even joking.

Forever Amber

uk fashion blogger

Forever Amber

Aaaaand I think I’m finally done re-capping my weekend. Just in time for the NEXT one. Don’t worry, though: today is officially my last day of work before my holiday, but it turns out we’re actually leaving a day earlier than I thought (I just found this out last week. My parents and Terry all read my blog post in which I mentioned spending next Friday packing, and not one of them thought to tell me that if I did that, I’d be left behind. Which makes me wonder if they were trying to intentionally leave me behind, hmmm?) and we also have our friends’ wedding to go to next week, so I’ll probably have limited time for blogging. Then again, I might just procrastinate to the point where I spend ALL my time blogging, and have to pack my suitcase at the last possible second again. You’ll just have to wait and see…

summer fashion 2012

• Roisin says:

These photos are so beautiful, Amber. I especially love the one of you and your mum and Rubin laughing! My dad always has a grumpy face on in photos, even though he’s really not like that AT ALL in life.

I understand what you’re saying about the New Look dress – I felt pretty much the same way about the Laura Lees for Topshop dress I bought in 2006 (!) which marked the start of my move into all dresses all the time – I was doing my teacher training at the time and that simple cotton dress felt like such a departure from the jeans and skater trainers I wore the whole time during my university years. That Roisin would have a hard time believing she’s the same person as This Roisin!

That’s so interesting – I think I had assumed you had always been a dress wearer! I reckon I must have bought this dress in 2007 – I have some photos of me wearing it in Key West that year, and I remember making a big fuss and asking Terry whether he thought it was “too dressy” about a million and one times before I wore it: it’s funny how things change!

• Roisin says:

It’s funny because I loved dresses as a teenager – you know, little dresses and platform shoes for going out in – but in my early 20s I loved bellbottom jeans and trainers. When I think about that, I wonder if I’m going to undergo such a style change again. Probably not, though!

I sometimes wonder this too… I mean, I DO still like and wear jeans etc (and I REALLY like cropped pants. A bit too much, actually) and I tend to veer wildly between wanting to be all girly and retro in a dress, and wanting to go for a more modern look, with skinny jeans and spiky shoes or something. The problem is that I just can’t really pull off the second look, so I suspect I’ll probably stick with the dresses for now at least. It’ll be interesting to see how things evolve in the future, though!

• Siel says:

You look adorable in these pictures Amber! Love that dress, how couldn’t I, it’s green :D
    I really had to laugh with that photo of you & your mum smiling with your dad so serious, it’s just the same case in my family! Whenever we take a family picture, we all smile while my father is, as he calls it, “neutral” :)

Thanks, Siel! It’s a running joke in our family that as soon as the camera comes out, my dad’s grumpy face goes on – we have loads of photos of everyone smiling and my dad with a face like thunder: it’s funny, because he’s not the least bit serious in real life, either!

• Sandy says:

Lookit Rubins bear style ears!!! He’s so presh!

I also did a transition to skirts (still can’t get on with dresses…I don’t dislike them, they just dislike me and my different sizes) around 2008/9 and I always felt so over dressed. Now it’s all I wear (I feel odd in trousers/jeans) and I don’t feel dressed up at all!! People will comment how lovely something is and I’ll ususally say “What? This old thing??” LOL!

I think a lot of people seem to have an instinctive reaction that skirt/dress = “dressed up”, which I’ve never understood, because those kind of outfits can be so much simpler and easier to wear than jeans etc. I get the same reaction when I wear heels of any kind (which is basically ALL the time) – people are always absolutely amazed by the fact that I’m wearing OMGHEELS, but to me they’re just shoes, and not anything out of the ordinary: it’s interesting how differently people perceive things like that!

• Erika says:

More great pics, I love the second one, it is so cool! And green is definitely your color :-) I am looking forward to the vacation posts. Enjoy your trip!

Oh, you might regret encouraging me with that one: we always take a LOT of photos on holiday. A LOT of photos….

• Nina says:

The one where you’re sitting on that bench is great! Well done, Terry and lovely look, Amber :)
    Rubin’s new haircut makes him look so cuddly :)) Have a great time on your holiday! Best wishes!

• Caroline says:

Great pics, looking fantastic, as always! I’ve recently discovered the joys of wearing a dress’s belt as a hairband – loving it! :)

And Rubin’s summer coat-cut is adorable! What a cute little… errrrm… killer wolf. Grrr.

I have a ton of headbands/belts now which started life as the belts on dresses: with a lot of them, I don’t have the dress any more, but the belt lives on!

• Melisa P. says:

These pictures are fantastic… I seriously don’t know how you do it… Every time somebody tries to take pictures of me the results are… Terrible!!!

Btw. Rubin is so.damn.cute!

Oh, thank you! Most of the time my results are terrible, too – for every nice photo, there’s always at least one where I look like a troll or something!

• Nina says:

Gorgeous pictures, as always. Rubin looks so cute in the ‘smiling’ pic :)

That lipcolor you’re wearing really suits you, by the way. Could you tell me what it is?

I actually can’t remember exactly which one I was wearing that day – I normally wear either MAC Ruby Woo or Russian Red, though, so it would’ve been one of those: probably Russian Red, because I’ve been wearing it a bit more often!

• Katie says:

The last minute is the only time to pack your suitcase, isn’t it? Don’t tell me I’ve been going about this packing thing the wrong way for years.

It’s really the only way I ever pack… I’m always amazed when, with about a month or something to go before a trip (literally), people start asking me if “I’m all packed yet”. I honestly can’t understand how people can pack that far ahead – I’d do it, and then just have to keep taking things out again to wear/use them!

• BEKI says:

Amazing photographs and unique blog! x

A) Have a wonderful holiday