In Praise of the Midi Dress

full-skirted stripe midi dress

nautical midi dress

red gingham wedges

[Dress: ASOS // Shoes: Schuh 'Garda' wedges (old)]

Hi everyone! It’s time for your regularly scheduled weather/outfit report. Because I just KNOW you all wake up in the mornings and think, “Gosh, I wonder what the weather is like in Scotland this week, and also what Amber is wearing?”

To answer both of those questions at the same time: exactly the same as always. The weather has been mostly “blah”, with the occasional outbreak of “wow, is that the SUN I can see in the sky?” and I’ve been mostly polka-dotted with the occasional stripe. Oh, and midi dresses. Always with the midi dresses. In fact, I glanced back at my last few posts and noticed that every single one of them featured a midi dress of some description, so I thought I’d offer up a quick explanation, before I get more emails asking me for advice about “modest” dressing.

I don’t wear midis to be “modest”, you see: although the fact that I don’t have to worry about flashing my knickers every time I bend over is definitely a bonus. No, I mostly wear them because of the shoes. I feel like longer hemlines give me licence to wear higher, crazier shoes: the kind of shoes that you probably wouldn’t wear with something short or tight, because you’re not 18 any more, and you’re not on the way out to a nightclub, (And by “you”, I obviously mean “me”. You maybe ARE 18, and on your way out to a nightclub, for all I know. Good for you.) but which, when paired with a longer hem, are suddenly a lot more acceptable for day-to-day wear.

Lots of women I speak to, however, live in fear of the midi dress. They worry it will “cut them off at the legs”, the scoundrel. Or that it will make them look “stumpy”. To these people, I say, you’re probably right. Midi dresses DO have that power. But…I’m probably going to keep on wearing them anyway.  Because while they can be notoriously “difficult”, especially on us shorties, they’re also comfortable, cool, and, well, swishy. Which is important.

• Roisin says:

Beautiful as always, Amber! I agree with you about midi dresses – it’s my favourite length and I’m also a shortie. I get the fear about ‘stumpfying’ but I don’t think it’s a problem really – and like you I don’t wear them to be modest (I hate that word so much) I just think midi length (tea length, to me) is so elegant and flattering! x

• Bemsy says:

Heels are definitely a must with midi dresses!

Bemsy x

• Siel says:

Whenever I see a midi dress (preferably with dots or stripes) I always think of you! It’s your trademark! You always look gorgeous in them, so elegant! And I totally agree on the crazy shoes :) btw I don’t think midi dresses are modest at all: they’re so big and swishy! Modest dressing to me is more like boring jeans and T-shirt haha :) x

• Charlotte says:

that dress looks amazing :)

chocolatefashioncoffee.blogspot.com

• ha so true with midis, they do make one look stumpy and very short and it seems wearing them with sky scrapping heels are the best way. I think Asos should look about using your photos to advertise this dress cos you do it much better justice than the models on the site.

xoxo
    Ivy

• Jayne says:

I NEED midi dresses in my life, I’m so thankful that they are in fashion and therefore easy to get hold of. I’m 5’11” so a midi dress is normal length on me, anything else on the high street is obscenely short on me. This one is lovely, but I’m super fussy with fabrics, so having looked at it I don’t think I would spend £32 on a viscose dress.

• Suzanne says:

Those shoes are insane. Like picnic meets prostitute. But in a good way.

Bisous
    Suzanne

• Erika says:

I love the way the stripes seem to go with the pattern of the shoes. And I agree, you do look great in midi length and I am thinking I should try some heels, wedges, with my midi length dresses so maybe I don’t appear to be as short as I am.

• Frida says:

Mid dresses are the best: classy, coolness and coverage at same time (yes, because I’m not 18 any more too), and you prove it well, you look awesome in midis!

• Sonja says:

I love a midi length dress too as I feel I can get away with higher shoes and it is also a very classy and ladylike length.

• Mel says:

hello! Just a quick question, are you wearing a petticoat underneath or is it just the wind swishing the fabric out? (weather-wind, not flatulence OBVIOUSLY) :P

• Call me M says:

I also love midi dresses, as I find them more feminine but not less “sexy” than mini dresses/skirts. And I actually feel taller in them. Never thought I look shorter in a midi dress.
    And by the way, since I’m here to comment on your outfit. You look amazing as always! Loved the combination of the dress with these wedges. I was wondering what you’ll wear it with, since you told me you bought it!

• ClareC says:

Amber, I’ve recently discovered your blog and I love it. Your style is fab and your posts are funny. I’d love some advice on petticoats. What type do you recommend? Where’s best to buy?

Hi Clare! I’m actually not the best person to ask about this, as I only have one petticoat and I got it on eBay (I literally just bought the cheapest one I could find because I wasn’t sure how much use I’d get out of it, and I don’t know anything about them!), so I don’t have anything to compare it with! I know Roisin wears petticoats fairly often, though, so she might have some good suggestions for you?

• char says:

I really agree with this – I like the fact I can wear higher heels with midi length dresses. Can I ask about this one though, I have it in my ASOS saved list, but I’m a bit unsure about it. Are you wearing a petticoat underneath, the fact it says it’s jersey freaks me out a little bit about potential clinging issues.

I was wearing a petticoat here, but I’ve worn it without one too, and haven’t had any issues with clinging – or not that I’ve noticed, anyway!

• Melissa says:

Swooning over this it’s tdf

• Dear (another) Amber – I’ve been a reader and big fan for a while, de-lurking to let you know how much I love this particular post, which I referenced in my own post today: http://butaneanvil.blogspot.ca/2012/09/nobody-home.html

I adore your gorgeous (not boring!) style, and love your humour.