The tale of the green polka dot midi dress

Green polka dot midi dress

green midi dress

green turtleneck sweater

Dress-worn-as-skirt: River Island (old) // turtleneck: Primark // Boots: Sam Edelman c/o Shopbop (old) // Bag: Marc Jacobs c/o Shopbop

You guys, there was a day without rain! I got to leave the house! And wear clothes that weren’t jeans! I had a coat with me in the car! But I actually didn’t really need it, because when the sun was shining it wasn’t even that cold! Now I can’t seem to stop writing like this! With all the exclamation points! And I hate exclamation points! No, seriously, somebody stop me!

AHEM.

Sorry, I got a little bit over-excited. It rained for about ten months, then there was this gloriously sunny day, and it felt a bit like being on holiday or something. But of course, we’re not here to talk about the weather, although you would be forgiven for thinking we were, given the amount of complaining I do about it. No, we’re here to talk about dresses: specifically dresses with sleeves, which are basically the Holy Grail of fashion, as far as I’m concerned.

See, I’m cold. Not in a mean, hard-hearted kind of way (although I guess it depends who you speak to…), obviously, but in a “Yes, I know I’m in Florida, and it’s approximately 200 degrees in the shade, but I think I’ll just take this cardigan with me all the same, in case I get chilly,” kind of way. And you know what? I almost always end up wearing the cardigan.

So, I feel the cold, is what I’m trying to say. And oddly enough (or perhaps not: I’m sure you will tell me), I feel the cold mostly in my arms and torso. If they’re warm, the rest of me will be warm too. But if they’re cold? Well, I could have hot water bottles strapped to my body, but if my arms were exposed, I’d still be freezing. (This is why I’ve never understood body-warmers/gilets etc. Super-padded torso, bare arms? Why is that even a thing?)

Enter the long-sleeved dresses. Now, for a long time, finding one of these really WAS like finding the Holy Grail. Over the last year or so, though, things have changed. The long-sleeved dresses have become easier to find. I’ve found quite a few of them, for instance. And I’ve bought them, rejoicing in the fact that they allow me to continue to wear my beloved dresses all year round, without having to do the dreaded layering. Praise be to the long-sleeved dresses! Long may they reign over us!

But… wait. “Wait there one cotton-pickin’ minute!” I hear you cry. “Why is she banging on about the wonders of the long-sleeved dress, when she’s wearing one with a stupid turtleneck over the top of it? What gives?!”

Ah, yes. The turtleneck. Well, you see, this is a long-sleeved dress. In fact, it’s a long-sleeved midi dress. Which is green. With polka dots. This dress is basically my spirit animal, in other words. I mean, if I were to die and come back as a dress, I’m pretty sure I’d be green, with polka dots. So when I bought the dress, I imagined it would rarely leave my body, and that we’d have tons of amazing adventures together. Unfortunately for me, though, I bought the dress back at the start of  spring, and it’s very much a “spring” dress. The fabric, while nice and soft, is just a little too thin for the typical autumn/winter temperature (and also for the typical spring/summer temperature, if we’re being totally honest), so I had to resort to layering a sweater over it to allow me to wear it. And even MORE unfortunately for me, I failed to realise that the light indoors, even on a relatively “nice” day, is so poor at this time of year that what looked like two identical shades of green in my bedroom mirror, were a lot LESS identical in the harsh light of day. I’d like to say this is the first time I’ve made this kind of rookie mistake. I’d be lying.

Still, you win some, you lose some. (And actually, when it comes to green dresses, I LITERALLY lose some…) And at least I have an excuse to wear it again next spring, by which point you’ll have forgotten aaaaaallll about it…

(P.S. I’m not doing Dressember this year, but if you’re looking for an excuse to dust off your dresses – and possibly raise some money for charity at the same time – you can join the new Facebook group here. You’ll have to request to be added to the group, but they’re a friendly bunch, I promise!)

• Ani says:

Amber, the green hue is such a beautiful contrast to your red hair. Love the playfullness of your polka dotted skirt you add to your elegant look.

• Erika says:

I always look forward to your posts, and I can’t wait to see how you wear the dress in the spring…

Oh, that’s lovely to hear! I’m really looking forward to wearing this the way it’s supposed to be worn… I did wear it a couple of times this year, but it was always so chilly I needed a cardigan over the top: stupid Scottish “summertime”!

• Suzanne says:

I love this look. Even if they are totally different hues it still works.
    Green on a redhead is so lovely.

Bisous
    Suzanne

I’m so glad you think so – I think the colours actually looked less different in real life, but it’s so hard to tell when the light’s so poor most of the time!

• Frida says:

Agreed, long live to Long Sleeves Dresses!
    I love this look in your signature green-polka-dots. I like how you paired it with a turtleneck. And they might be two different shades of green, but they go oh so well together, I actually didn’t noticed the difference until you told.

• Fran says:

I actually think the two shades look nice together! Green is really good on you (like I need to tell you. :P) Short-sleeved dresses in winter are a problem. They are the reason why I have about five almost identical black cardigans in stand-by to layer on top of them almost every day. :p

• Terry says:

I LOVE this look. Love the shades of green.

Keep an eye out on my blog later today. I’ll be featuring this as one of the looks I love today.

xo,
    Terry

• Trea says:

As soon as I saw the first photo I got excited for you Amber, green,polka dots and long sleeves yey!!! I need to get out more lol.

• shannon says:

This dress looks like it was made for you! The print and the style are stunning on you!

• Jaynie says:

I wish I could wear that shade of green. It does look lovely on you! Even in multiple tones — I think the sweater looks great with that dress!

FYI: your cold arms and torso are probably due to the way bodies react to cold, basically by trying to keep the internal organs at operating temperature at the expense of “unnecessary” things like…hands. We slow down circulation to the least vital bits first. If your torso is cold the rest of you is basically bound to be freezing — if all of your body heat is being diverted to it and you’re still cold, no way is there going to be any warmth to spare for your arms/legs. I would guess that legs outrank arms in the body’s hierarchy, hence the cold arms. BTW, women often experience this more than men because it’s extra important to keep developing fetuses the right temperature. Even if we have no fetuses. Not sure if that’s the ENTIRE reason you’re hypersensitive to cold arms, but I’d say it’s probably a good part of it. :)

Sorry, I’ve been studying for a biology exam, is it showing?

• I’m with you – I’ve never understood sleeveless tops as a way of keeping warm. I have reynaud’s, so my hands and feet get too cold too fast (apparently it’s very common amongst Scottish women but we all just assume it’s normal) – if there’s the slightest hint of a draught my hands go purple and painful, so I want to keep as much of myself covered as possible!

They may be different shades of green but they totally complement each other, and work beautifully with your hair!

• AnneNisa says:

Amber .. im really like u and the way u are .. seriously .. give my regard to UK citizens ..