In like a lion

yellow H

yellow high heels

yellow H&M skirt

House of Harlow sunglasses

Skirt: H&M 2012 | Sweater: Ralph Lauren (gift) | Shoes: Topshop, 2011 | Sunglasses: House of Harlow

Well, who would’ve thought yellow, of all things, would become my go-to colour this year? Not me, anyway. I’d have put my last penny on green, but while I haven’t forsaken my favourite colour by a long shot, I think mustard yellow is quickly moving into second place.

This skirt was one of my favourite purchases of 2012. I think it was only about £30 or something like that, but the thick fabric and full shape (which creates that amazing “sticky out” – yes, it’s a technical term – shape even without the aid of a petticoat…) makes it feel like a much more expensive piece. H&M actually re-released this in off-white for this spring: it’s currently sold out online, but… actually, I’m not quite ready to get into The Saga of the White H&M Skirt just yet. It’s too soon. And too… painful. Let’s save that one for another day…

The shoes, meanwhile, are by Topshop, but I bought them on eBay at around this time last year, and have already had much more use out of them than I would ever have expected from a pair of bright yellow shoes. It’s funny how things work out, isn’t it?

These photos were taken on yet another warm, sunny day, on which that coat I always have with me stayed firmly in the car. That sunshine is now but a distant memory, of course (Well, a four-days-ago memory…) so I suspect that might have been “Spring”. Don’t mock: in Scotland that’s actually not an exaggeration…

yellow H&M skirt

yellow shoes and skirt

• Ghalia says:

I LOVE this outfit. I mean, your last few outfits have been pretty wonderful & incredibly flattering (who would have thought it would be possible to achieve that without revealing your chest/backside/crotch/waist/nipples in this day & age? *sighs*). But there is something about the simplicity and playfulness of this outfit that’s absolutely delightful. Also, it’s probably pointless to mention then, but your hair looks incredible against the light top.

Sitting here & analysing a person’s outfit, & then telling them what I think , is actually an uncommon practice for me, & is starting to feel a little weird, so I’ll stop before I embarrass myself some more!

• Amber this is so lovely! So fresh and springy, glad you had a few days of sunshine up there! It was glorious down here (Hampshire) yesterday but alas, back to grey today. I have a mustard skirt that I was in a total navy rut with until some kind commenters gave me some feedback on the blog so I’ve been trying to branch out with different colours. I’ve yet to try a really pale top but it’s now on the list, thank you for the inspiration! :)

It’s definitely a tricky one for me, too… I was in a “yellow and black” rut for a long time, but people kept telling me I was “brave” to be dressing in bumble-bee colours, so I decided to see if I could find another way to wear it!

• Lovely shoes. You look beautiful.

• Call me M says:

Mustard definitely looks great on you, and it goes perfectly with your hair. I can see why it’s your 2nd favorite.

• Rebecca says:

As a fellow redhead, I have to say that yellow is a surprisingly great colour. My go-to’s normally are turquoise or green, but mustard has become one of my favourites lately as well.

• Trea says:

Amber it’s official, I hate u! Joking I’m just jealous, I’m after these exact shoes and couldn’t wait to see where u got them but now I’m disappointed u got them so long ago, but I’m off for a nosey on eBay anyway. Love this skirt also, I’ve a big thing for yellow and mustard.

• Erin says:

Utterly love you in that colour :)

• Erika says:

What is it about yellow? It is one of those colors, for me, that I never liked, but lately I can’t get enough of it! You look great, and I love the skirt.

• char says:

I really like the look of this skirt, the texture looks great, I need more texture in my outfits, and I love the ‘sticky-out’ look.
    I am drowning under clothes lately, having just brought back another wardrobe-ful from one of the houses we had when I was growing up, but can I find the energy to go through it all and organise it? Err, no, as the majority doesn’t fit me, and my wardrobe room is overflowing and I am running out of storage space, so I just sit there thinking “I have nothing to wear” instead and look longingly at things online which I would like. But can’t buy, because of the spending ban in Lent. :/
    Ranty off-topic essay, over – sorry! :)

Tell me about it – I normally get my Spring/Summer stuff out at the end of this month, but I’m already dreading it: I’ve come to realise that there’s not really much point in packing most of the heavier stuff away, so I’ve NO IDEA how I’m going to organise it all: I dream of a giant, walk-in closet!

• char says:

I am genuinely considering moving to a bigger place, as one wardrobe room, plus kitchen cupboards full of shoes, is clearly not enough.

Haha, that reminds me of Carrie from Sex and the City keeping shoes inside her oven! I’ve not quite expanded to the kitchen cupboards yet, but only because Terry has filled them with pesky food…

• maria says:

I really like that outfit, it’s really cute and feminine, yet so simple!
    Mustard yellow is a color I never thought I’d come to like, and yet, when I tried a pair of skinny trousers in mustard yellow I fell in love with how the shade worked with black and brown shoes and deep and winter-y colors like petrol green and bordeaux… Then I tried to find a mustard skirt but i didn’t find any, sadly… Maybe I’ll find one this spring, if the color is still fashionable…

• Rakhshanda says:

You look extremely chic Amber <3 What a beautiful way to flaunt the skirt!!!

Do check out my latest OOTD:

• Janine says:

I love this colour on you, very very Spring like (especially with you getting some sunshine!!) We were lucky when we went to Edinburgh last weekend, the weather was beautiful on Saturday wasn’t it? We were at the comedy club that night and I overheard some local girls in the toilets (well I assume they were local as they had Scottish accents and seemed to know the barman the way they were talking about him… lol) and one of them was saying how she had managed to get sunburn on her shoulders and back from sitting in a beer garden all day! Gosh, I knew it was warm but still… mind you everyone kept telling us what a rare appearance the sun is up there so maybe that was it?! It certainly made our trip up there a lot more enjoyable :) The next day it felt like the Arctic, it was bizarre!

Anyway, back to the outfit, I have decided a skirt just like that needs to go onto my Spring wishlist as I would like to wear a lovely full skirt without having to go down the underskirt route (remember what I told you about the delightful people round my way and how they react to anything a bit different? Well I am still not ready to risk it haha)

Hope you have a fantastic weekend and it doesn’t snow! When is it going to end?!?!?

Janine xx
    Bake, Glue and Trend!

• Sasha says:

You always look so well put together Amber! And I know what you mean about mustard yellow – it always becomes a sneaky favourite of mine too! Love your writing style, you’re so funny xx

• Charis says:

Amber you look absolutely gorgeous! Yellow is not a colour that can be worn by everyone… me included!

• Emily says:

This is an amazing skirt!! Such a great style and looks really, really expensive with the quilting. I’ve been looking high and low for a skirt that is similar to this. It doesn’t have to be the same colour (although that would be a bonus) but I’d love one really similar in style.

You don’t happen to know of anywhere that sells a similar style do you?!

Thank you!

Blog: Emily Jay’s Masquerade

H&M also did this in cream this season (I’m actually wearing it right now!): it’s sold out online, but might still be in-store, if you have one near you that stocks the Trend collection? Other than that, ASOS normally have some full skirts, though, although maybe not quite as full as this one!