Scotland in Summer

green polka dot midi skirt

rape seed field in summer

summer fashion

Scotland in summer

UK fashion blogger

green polka dot skirt and shoes

If you ever come to Scotland, please, do me a favour and come in summer. Yes, it might be raining. In fact, it probably will be. But if you’ve ever visited the Scottish countryside on a warm summer day, you’ll hear people make the same observation on repeat: “If we just got the weather,” they say, “no one would ever leave!” Well, I’m not sure that’s quite true, but one thing I AM sure of is that when we DO get the weather, it’s beautiful.  And in future, if anyone ever asks me why I hate autumn and winter so much, I will simply point them to this wonderful summer field, with the bright blue sky shining above it, and I will tell them they can keep their Fall-Is-My-Favourite-Season, and their OMGSNOW, and just leave me the summer, as long as it looks like this.

These photos were actually taken last Sunday, but because of all of the stress with The House Purchase That Never Was last week, I didn’t have time to get them off the camera. I barely had time over the weekend either, because as soon as we knew for sure that we weren’t getting The One (sob! Still not over it!) we plunged straight into a frenzy of house hunting, which basically involved us looking at aaaaaaalllll  the houses ever made, on the basis that one of them might be The Other One. And of course, no, they weren’t. Well, actually SOME of them very well could have been: we spent yesterday looking at a bunch of showhomes in the area, and OMG, some of those houses were just beyond amazing. They were also beyond our budget, though, so it’s back to the drawing board for us, and after yet more issues with the dog-care thing over the weekend, I can’t help but feel that we HAVE to be in line for some good luck soon, so hopefully when we get back from Miami, The Even Better One will be sitting there waiting for us.

In the meantime, some more of that sunshine would go down well around about now…

red hair in sunshine

• Kristian says:

WHat an absolutely stunning place and stunning set of pictures.

• Fran says:

Beautiful pics!

• Totally agree, I love summer. Why would you want autumn or snow when you can have sunshine, blue skies and feel the warmth on your skin?? Fantastic pictures, really stunning. I’m guessing that yellow field would be no good for anyone with hayfever mind you!

• Jane says:

Hi
    I’ve been reading, and enjoying, your blog for a while, but was never certain what exactly to post as a comment! I live in Scotland, too, and have done my whole life. I was just wondering where these pictures were taken? I think I can recognise the Ochils in the background, but I’m not sure… Oh, and, though not pictured in this post, I have to say, Rubin is adorable!

• If I lived in Scotland I’d probably feel quite differently about the seasons. I can’t stand the heat but I the limited daylight hours really effect my mood in winter. I went to look up average summer highs and ended up looking at “sunshine hours” for the winter. Edinburgh has about as many sunshine hours over December, January and February as Boston has in February alone. I am in awe of how you manage to function November-March.

/nerdy weather stats

Yeah, we have incredibly low daylight hours in the winter, which is the main reason I get so depressed – I could deal with the cold (for a little while, anyway!) but some days it feels like the sun doesn’t even come up. The flip side is that we get extra-long days in summer: at the moment it’s still not fully dark at 11pm, which some people hate, but I love!

• Robert says:

I absolutely hate the light nights, I’m an astronomer and it prevents me seeing distant stars and galaxies. It is also hard to sleep as well.

• PFK says:

Gorgeous location!

• Erika says:

That last one is my absolute favorite! I would love to visit Scotland on a summery, sunshiny day like this. Those fields are beautiful and your have chosen the perfect outfit. I would never walk through any field where I live this time of year, I would be covered in creepy crawlies, so I am happy to see pictures of others who get to. :-)

• Call me M says:

I’d love to visit Scotland, especially during summer. I’m sure it has many nice places to go to, and the view must be amazing. Wish it was warmer, and sunnier, at least during summer so you’d get out more and enjoy the weather! :) I’m so glad I’m finally able to read your blogs again. I’ve been having computer problems for over a month. I was getting crazy.
    You look wonderful here. I’m sure you’ll find your dream house sooner or later. But for now, your vacation is really close, and I’m sure you’ll have an amazing time in Miami.

I read above that it’s not fully dark at 11pm there. Wow! That would be amazing. It’s getting dark around 9PM here, which is also really good. I love long summer day. But my country is on the other end. It gets reallyy really hot during summer months. We had 35 degrees today.

I haven’t ever visited Scotland – it is a very long way from here – but I will make sure that if I do, it’s in summer.

Persevere, Amber and Terry, the house will find you eventually.

• celyn says:

those fields are so gorgeous! I love the polka dots!

• Great blog post! Lovely pictures of you and those sunglasses are killer xoxo

• Laura says:

Hi Amber. I’m so sorry to read about your house woes, I’m going to skip the bit about what’s for you not passing you by and move straight through to what on earth is the matter with people and why can’t they just say what they mean and mean what they say?! I must confess to stealing your phrase “the others” and using it regularly, it sums them up perfectly and they give me so many opportunities to use it!
    You look lovely in these pics, I just love your skirt and shoes, they look like they came in a set they’re such a perfect match!
    Hope you and Terry have a great holiday xx

• follow howtobefashionless.blogspot.co.uk

Er, no thanks. I’d rather not follow people who see my blog purely as a place to spam their own link, and I doubt many other people will either. I’m not sure where you got the idea that this is a good way to promote yourself, but trust me: you will not make friends in the blogging world by using other bloggers purely as a means of self-promotion.

Also, just FYI: most of the links in comment sections are nofollow, so it won’t benefit your SEO, it will simply tell people which blogs to avoid.

• Elizabeth says:

Such beautiful photographs darling, I love the style of your sunglasses and the polka dots are so pretty.

Elizabeth x

Candyfloss Curls, Cupcakes & Couture

• Robert says:

I live in Scotland and during the summer months it just doesn’t get dark, with a dark blue twilight at it’s darkest. You can still see sunset colours on the northern horizon throughout the night and it simply annoys me. I find it difficult to sleep and (as I love observing the night sky), I can barely see any stars in the night sky thank’s to Scotland’s high latitude.