Summer in the City

Pretty Dress Company pencil dress

Edinburgh Castle

navy and cream wiggle dress

[Dress: Pretty Dress Company (last year) | Shoes: River Island (old) | Bag: Marc by Marc Jacobs*]

I feel like I have to apologise for the terrible case of Smugface I’m demonstrating in the first photo here. I have no idea where that came from, or what the hell I thought I had to feel smug about, because seriously, people, last week was NUTS. NUTS, I tell you. Some of it was nuts in a good way, and some of it was nuts in a very, very bad way. Some of it was nuts in a “yet more stuff to do with selling my house way,” but that’s another story for another day. Maybe.

Mostly, though, last week was nuts in a … well, a NUTS way. It was super-stressful, super-surreal, and at times it was super… I can think of at least one other “S” word that would work here, but this is a family-friendly establishment, so I’ll let you fill in that particular blank for yourselves. On the plus side, though, it was also super-sunny, which is no small thing, trust me.

Back at the start of the week, I had an appointment in Edinburgh, so I grabbed the opportunity to spend some time in the sun, and also to take outfit photos somewhere other than a country lane, or a field, or something. (I DID take photos in a field later in the week, though, don’t worry. OK, TWO fields. You’ll be seeing them soon.) I also grabbed the opportunity for a quick look around the shops, leaving with a pair of shoes for me (naturally), and a birthday present for Terry, which he picked out himself, from the Zara menswear department. I DID offer to surprise him with something, but he refused, because he doesn’t trust me to buy clothes for him. He says if I did, he’d end up looking like Jean Paul Gaultier or something. I opened my mouth to argue with that, but then  just closed it again, because, to be perfectly honest, that WAS the look I had in mind. Well, you can’t go wrong with a Breton stripe, can you?

Actually, though, Terry did pretty well on his own, and picked out a pair of mint green pants for himself. SO PROUD, you guys, seriously. And then so worried, because I have mint green pants too, so now I’m worried we’ll end up looking like THOSE people who wear His n’ Hers outfits all the time. Which I guess is what would’ve happened if I’d had my way with the Breton stripes,  now I come to think of it.

Anyway, despite the stress of last week (Which continues into this week too: awesome!), I did manage to take some other photos, which I will post as soon as I have a few spare minutes to download them. Let’s hope I’m looking a little less smug in at least some of them…

bloglovin12

• char says:

Oh gosh, I hope this week gets better for you soon – I hope you’re ok!
    And I love this dress: so, so classy.

Thanks, Char – I seriously feel like I’m in the un-funniest sitcom in the world right now: it seems that everything that CAN go wrong WILL go wrong!

• Nuria says:

Love the outfit Amber, and how beautiful is Edinburgh in the sun! However sh..ty last week was for you, it doesn’t show, you look amazing! :)

• Rakhshanda says:

You look so beautiful and elegant in this dress!! Edinburgh is such a wonderful place…would love to visit it some day!!

Latest look:

• Erika says:

Despite the stress of your week, you pulled yourself together nicely. :-) Great dress, I can’t remember seeing it before on the blog. And a great choice of backdrop.

• Louise says:

Well, despite all the stresses you still manage to look absolutely stunning, and stylish. I wish I could persuade my husband into pastels. Xx

You should never apologise for how you look, because you generally look awesome.

Also: need a photo of Terry in the mint green pants. Seriously.

Finally, I hope this week is an improvement!

• Rachel says:

You look lovely :) I adore that dress!

• Andrea says:

I was just reading about some massacre or something that happened at Edinburgh and was like Amber lives near there! It’s easy as Americans to think of those places as fictional, which makes me sound daft, but it’s true.

• Call me M says:

These photos are amazing, and so is the location! You look gorgeous in this dress, which remind me one of Victoria Beckham’s pieces. I’ve told you how much I love her style, and yours too of course.
    You made me laugh..and I totally pictured you and Terry wearing matching mint pants. hehe :)