The Only Fashion Blogger in the Village

autumn outfit

jacket detail

autumn outfit post

This weekend, for only the second time in my fashion-blogging history, we were stopped by a passer-by while out taking outfit photos, and asked what the hell we thought we were doing, what with the camera, and the posing in the middle of a country lane, and all that.

The first time this happened, as you may recall, it was the police who stopped us... and who proceeded to accuse Terry of being a filthy stalker, out taking photos of me with his telephoto lens, like a paparazzi. (Even although he wasn’t actually using a telephoto lens, and I was standing right in front of him, posing.)

This time, it was a farmer. In a tractor. Which he actually pulled over off the road, so he could question us more fully. GOD.

Luckily for us, the questions were of the friendly/curious type this time. I mean, it wasn’t a “Ger orf mah land!” type of situation or anything like that, although, admittedly, that WOULD have made this story a bit more interesting. It was still plenty embarrassing, however, which is why I decided to hang back and pretend to be busy on my phone, and let Terry deal with the questions. (Thank God for cellphones, eh? What did we do before them? I guess we must actually have had to… talk to people? The horror!)

“So, what are the photos for?” asked the farmer.

“Oh you know,” said Terry, “Just a website!”

“Oh,” said the farmer. “So, what kind of website?”

“Um, a fashion one,” said Terry. “My wife writes about fashion, you see.”

(He nodded at me at this point. I pretended to be doing Very Busy and Important Things on my phone.)

“Oh,” said the farmer. “So, what kind of fashion?”

At this point I should really have stepped forward and put Terry out of his misery. And if I had, I would probably have said something like, “Weeeeellll, to be honest, I’d describe it more as ‘personal style’ than ‘fashion’. Because I’m not really into fashion, you know? But seeing as you ask, I guess I’d say it was mostly retro-inspired, but with a modern twist, and mixed in with the odd pair of black trousers every now and then. Today is a “black trousers” kind of  day, because I’m resisting wearing tights for as long as possible, which doesn’t leave me with a whole lot of options at this time of year, you know?”

I didn’t say any of that, though, of course. Partly because, you know, WHO CARES, but also because I was really curious to see how Terry would answer the man’s question.

“So, what kind of fashion?” asked the farmer.

“Er, CLOTHES, mostly,” answered Terry. “The kind with CLOTHES.”

And then the farmer put his tractor into drive, and roared off in disgust (Really slowly, obviously. Because that’s how tractors roll.), having realised that we weren’t actually interesting characters at all, but just a couple of idiots with a camera. I mean, he probably thought he would AT LEAST get a decent story out of us, to tell the village meeting next Tuesday*, but nope, no such luck. I expect our reputation as the local village idiots is well and truly established by now, though. Especially if anyone saw me speaking to those sheep last week. (Well, they were staring at me as if they knew me: it would’ve been rude to not even say ‘hello’, wouldn’t it?)

I guess it was only a matter of time.

Forever Amber

[Wearing: ASOS trousers | New Look jacket (old) | Vero Moda sweater | Gucci sunglasses | Marc by Marc Jacobs bag* | Dune 'Benefit' pumps c/o Sarenza]

(*There isn’t a village meeting, by the way. Because it’s not the 1950s.)

• New #outfitpost: The Only Fashion Blogger in the Village: http://t.co/VXMoVN6tq7

• They have village meetings where my parents live!

Love this Amber, I think this jacket was in the first post of yours I saw when I found your blog last year. With beige trousers. Unless that was the jacket with the fur collar. On the (disused) railway… I forget….but I like it!

• I’m honestly surprised by how rarely this seems to happen to the fashion/style bloggers I read! You’d think it would happen all the time, but it’s only every once in a while it seems that they get stopped and interrogated. It’s funny trying to explain the weird bits of the internet to someone who probably just checks his email once a day, if that.

I’m surprised too – I get a LOT of weird looks from people, and occasionally someone will wind down their car window and jeer at me (mind you, I get that kind of thing even when I’m NOT taking photos, so…) but very rarely will anyone actually stop and question me, thankfully! I’m always careful to avoid making eye contact with Others, though – I think that puts them off a bit!

• Frida says:

lol. That was hilarious. Maybe he thought you were some sort of supermodel and stopped the tractor to see. Maybe he thought there was a movie filming you know, or something like that and then he realized you were just two random people shooting pics in the country (I think he mush have thought which kind of fool does that? LOL!!)
    Loving you in pants and jacket, they look uber cool and retro on you.

• Annette says:

I does happen all the time to me!! Living on the countryside and taking photos on remote country roads in the middle of fields could be so easy. But isn’t… I just recently wrote about it on my blog. You are lucky because the farmer was just curious, I had the experience of the one yelling at me because we parked the car (in the middle of nowhere) but next to his field for 10 minutes.
    Or the elderly lady who told me “There is a pair of shoes” – “Yes they are mine” (the more comfortable ones which I used to walk to the photo spot) – “But they are on the ground” – “Yes I know, don’t worry, I’ll take them back”… and then went on about how one can walk in those heels but shouldn’t etc. etc.

But your look is definitely worth it! The ruffled jacket is beautiful.

Lady of Style

Oh gosh, that sounds awful – I think I’ve definitely been lucky (Well, apart from the time with the police, obviously!). Also, comments from random strangers about shoes is one of my absolute pet hates: I feel like I frequently get people telling me I shouldn’t be wearing heels or that I can’t possibly walk in them, and it’s just so rude because they’re basically telling me that I’m too stupid to be trusted to choose my own footwear, or that I’m some kind of airhead who will put herself through agony just for the sake of FASHUN. It never ceases to amaze me that just because some people can’t/don’t wear heels, they assume that no one else in the world can possibly wear them either, and that anyone who tries must be talked down to and made to realise how silly they are: GAH! (Sorry, that obviously hit a nerve!)

• Liz in Paris says:

I used to get this too – I’m English and my husband’s Bavarian. In our early days people in his village used to give me the weirdest looks (and sometimes comments) about my shoes. That was over 20 years ago though and they’re used to me now!

• Kristian says:

The kind of fashion with Clothes. Haha. Cute story- much better than being threatened with a gun to off land, that is for sure. Love that jacket.

• Amber I can’t believe your two experiences of this are almost identical to mine…! My first was also the police: We were photographing on a footbridge over an A road and the police approached us to say a report had been made that a woman was about to jump off the bridge – huh?!! I had to convince him that I can’t bear heights and I wouldn’t DREAM of even looking over the edge, let alone anything else. And the second was a farmer – same thing, on his tractor asking what we were doing. Unfortunately Mr Summers mentioned the words “fashion blog” and I was doing that slow motion thing of trying to stop him, going “Noooooooo….!!” Trying to explain a fashion blog to my family is hard enough, never mind a farmer. So now the story is either “I’m [Mr Summers] doing a photography project” or “I sell clothes online and we’re photographing them”. Much easier, though we haven’t had to explain since so I’m dying to know if this’ll shut the curious up…!

Anyway this coat is a beauty – and ughhh do I love the Gucci sunnies. Such a gorgeous, sophisticated look – but that’s you a tee as always my dear!!!

Have a fabulous week, won’t you :)

Catherine xoxo

Oh my goodness ,how funny that it would happen twice in the same way! And, I mean, I guess it’s a good thing that people care enough to call the police, but still absolutely mortifying when you’re just taking some photos and the cops roll up!(I think the worst thing was that it was obvious they didn’t really believe us at first, either: I had to give them the name of the blog, so now I sometimes imagine them all gathered around a computer at the station, having a good laugh about it!)

• char says:

Oh gosh, how embarrassing – that’s one of the many reasons I try not to take my photos outside, although I always think it would make them much better if I did.

• Fran says:

I don’t understand people sometimes. I mean, have they never seen anybody having their picture taken? For all they knew you were just a tourist wanting a souvenir picture. Oh well. I was once approached by a farmer with a calf asking why I was reading in a field. That teaches me trying to apply Romanticism to everyday life.

• Wow, that is quite the story- honestly, you had me laughing out loud on my couch like a retard- haha. I hate it when that happens, people just have a hard time understanding sometimes.

Love the look by the way! Adorable as always <3 Alex

tobebeautifulingodseyes.blogpspot.com

• gleepface says:

It’s exactly this type of thing that puts me off actually taking outfit pictures myself. Where I live I would probably get laughed at at best, and my camera stolen at worst.

This outfit is rather nice though, so I guess it was worth it?

• Love that jacket! To die for.

Alexa

xo

• Liz in Paris says:

Laughed out loud at Terry’s answer “the kind with clothes”! Love the jacket, really suits you. Looks warm too.

And you said you had nothing interesting to write about! :)

p.s. good line Terry, GENIUS even.

• Hi Amber

This is so funny and has actually happened to me! You’d think they’d never seem a camera before lol…loving the shoes by the way :) xx

• daria says:

haha, that’s hilarious! I got some inquires, too, over the years, and I always let the photographer/boyfriend do the talking.

• Erika says:

Funny stuff! It just leaves me thinking though, how is taking photos such a strange thing to some people!? I just don’t get it, but then I just don’t get people sometimes, lol! Such a beautiful jacket! And a very pretty country road. :-)

To be fair, I think fashion blogging IS a pretty weird thing when you really think about it, so I’m mostly surprised that it hasn’t happened more often! That said, I’ve had people do the “OMGACAMERA!” thing when we’ve been taking photos in really touristy places, too, where it shouldn’t be unexpected for people to be taking photos… I remember one group of women having a loud debate about how I MUST be someone famous, because I was having my photo taken at the top of Lombard Street in San Francisco (in jeans and two sweaters, nothing remotely fancy!)… yeah, me and about twenty other people, all of whom were taking exactly the same tourist shot, but apparently *I* was the only one doing something really strange!

• Suzanne says:

LOL…thus why I take photos in my backyard. Not as visually interesting but I avoid all the hassle.

bisous
    Suzanne

• I live in Brisbane Australia (which may as well be a small village) and taking blog photos is a pretty cringe worthy affair here. I have had experiences where a group of twenty people has stopped what they are doing JUST to stop and stare at me when my partner takes some blog photos for me. Where I live it seems to be the case that the second you pull out a camera people see it as an excuse to be rude and gawk – because taking photos is SO STRANGE RIGHT?

I am yet to be asked what it is that I’m “doing” but I honestly feel that no one owes any of the rude (and stupid) people who ask bloggers questions like this an explanation… I mean what does it look like you’re doing if you’re posing in front of a camera…..errr.

I’m normally too shy to comment on your fabulous blog, but your post really hit a nerve and I appreciate you being so honest!

Aww, don’t be shy! I’ve just gone and had a look at your blog, and oh my goodness, you look amazing: will definitely be following!

To be fair, I do understand people being curious, because it’s not exactly the “usual” thing to be doing (at least not around here): I’m just grateful that this guy was friendly about it: some people who pass by can be actively quite hostile when they’re passing by, which I’ll never understand. Then again, I don’t think I’ll ever understand MOST things about people :)

• Natalie says:

Yes, I’m always afraid of such situations. That’s why I’m not a fashion blogger. Once I was really fed up when someone yelled at me because I was taking a photo of a beautiful roof of his house. Of course people from smaller towns are even more mistrustful, but it’s natural. I like it in some way, just as I like the countryside in UK. I would do everything to live there.
    I love your outfit. And I think the tractor guy does so to, that’s why he stopped! ;)

PS. What a patient hubby you have! :)