Casual Friday

casual spring outfit

Vivienne Westwood for Melissa bow shoes

OK, so I actually wore this outfit on Wednesday, not Friday. And I really hate indoor photos, which is why I try my best to avoid them. I realised that I hardly ever post any of my more “casual” outfits here, though, and I quite liked this one, even although it’s just a pair of trousers and a sweater (Having said that, I searched every branch of F21 in Miami for these trousers, only to finally find them 6 months later in the Glasgow store. They had one pair left, and they’re being held on with one of my magic buttons, but still…) , so here we are: a quick n’ casual Friday post, which I’m willing to bet no one will ever read, because you’re all probably off enjoying the Easter break. And I don’t blame you one bit. Why would you want to look at my trousers when you could be eating chocolate and playing with baby chickens, or whatever it is you do on the Easter break? Why, indeed.

I actually had intended to make this a series of photos – like, every Friday I’d post the outfits from the week that didn’t make it onto the blog, and you would all gasp with amazement at how often I wear workout clothes, even although I’m not actually working out at the time. Then I realised that would involve me posting a lot of photos of myself in, well, workout clothes, so maybe not. I mean, I work from home: sometimes walking the dog is as “dressed up” as it gets, you know?

I didn’t wear this outfit to walk the dog, however. Well, I mean, I DID (with a change of shoes, naturally: even I don’t put on heels to trudge through muddy fields…), but that wasn’t the reason I wore it. No, I actually wore this outfit to take a bunch of my old clothes to a consignment store I’d heard about, which had recently opened in the area. I’ve never tried consigning stuff before, but I’ve had a pile of clothes sitting in the spare bedroom since… er, since we moved into this house, actually. In August last year. I’d had vague intentions to maybe sell some of them on eBay or just drop them off at a charity store, but I hadn’t gotten round to it, so when I heard about a store that would actually take them and sell them for me, I figured it could be worth a shot.

The first struggle was getting into the car. I staggered out of the house, my legs almost buckling under the weight of the clothes I’d picked out of the pile, and then stood beside the car, frantically clicking the key fob which magically opens the doors. Or which NORMALLY opens the doors, I should say. This time it just wouldn’t work, so I stood there for a good couple of minutes, waving the key around in the vague direction of the car, as if that would make a difference. It didn’t, of course. And that was because what I was holding in my hand and pointing at the car was not, in fact, the car key, but… the remote control for the camera. Which I’d used to take the very photo you see above, just a few minutes before.

Well, I went back into the car and found the ACTUAL key, then I loaded up the clothes and headed to the consignment store, stopping en route to pick up my mum, who wanted to have a look around the place too.  I couldn’t find a parking space close to the store, so we parked a bit away and hauled the bag of clothes to the place… only to discover that I should have made an appointment, and I hadn’t. And also that I should only have brought 15 items, and  I.. hadn’t. I’d brought eleventy-thousand items. GAH. So then we got to haul all the clothes back to the car, and repeat the entire process in reverse, only without the remote control this time, because never let it be said I don’t learn from my mistakes. Even although I normally don’t. This is why it’s a good idea to CALL AHEAD, people, seriously.

Anyway, I made an appointment to go back next week, so I’m interested to see how it goes, and if they actually manage to sell anything. And if they don’t, well, at least the experience will have helped me work out the difference between a car key and a remote control…

easter

[Wearing: Zara sweater // F21 gingham capri pants // Vivienne Westwood for Melissa 'Lady Dragon' shoes* // RED Valentino shoulder bag*] [P.S. I'm anticipating questions about the location of the consignment store, because I know a few of you probably have stuff to sell, too... It's a brick-and-mortar store with no website, and it's very close to where I live, which means I don't really want to put the address online. If you live in central Scotland and are not a scary stalker, however, feel free to email me if you want to know the address!]

• Fran says:

Happy Easter Amber! I should definitely look into the magic button. It makes your trousers fit very well and the search for the right jeans fit is never-ending.

• Great post made me chuckle :)
    Love your shoe collection, Happy Easter xx

• Suzanne says:

LOL funny story. The remote bit sounds like something I’d do.

A bit of a pain to have to return to the store.

They can be picky at consignment stores but I’ve managed to sell quite a few things, only to then turn around and buy a bunch of “new” stuff from the same consignment store. That is okay. It is kind of like a library for clothes and this way I don’t end up spending any $, I just use the credit from what I sell.

bisous
    Suzanne

I can totally see that happening: this store also happens to stock (new) Lindy Bop dresses, which I love, so I can see me ending up making very little out of the whole thing!

• Also wishing you a happy Easter and I must say, posts like these are my favorite (especially the part about the remote for your camera vs. the car keys) mainly because I love everyone who can laugh at themselves and second it makes me feel better about repeatedly using the key to my parents’ house to try and open the door to my flat. And surprisingly, this does happen mostly when I am carrying a massive amount of things in both hands. Anyways, can’t wait to read about how trip number two will turn out and what you will wear. Oh and nice lipstick, I love how bright it is:)

• Paula says:

Your casual friday clothes are kind of my ‘going to work everyday’ clothes. I do a very similar pair of pants but mine are blue with tiny white dots in very organized lines so they look like your from a distance and I never tried wearing with pink! I now have to go to Zara buy a light dusty pink pullover.

And I do love the shoes, you know I live in Brasil where there’s a melissa store on every corner and I don’t own a single pair of high heeled melissas! But I do love the ones with the heart instead of the bow. SO pretty!

Oh! and happy easter!

• Precious says:

Cute outfit! You have a Happy Easter!! :)

• Malena says:

Your shoe collection is to die for! I love it, the styles and the colors are perfect! And I love your outfit, really simple and stylish. Plus the bag, such great details!

Happy easter!

• char says:

I have sort of tried this. More because a friend of a friend was setting up and wanted some “of your lovely, eye-catching shoes” to put on the displays. I did dig out some I no longer wore, and donated them, but I’m not sure how much luck she ever had. I donated a few more bags of clothes and shoes and I know at one point she was selling on eBay as well as in the various locations she had. I’ve never seen any return from it, but I’m not too fussed. It spurred me to get rid of some things I didn’t wear, and which I would have only taken to a charity shop.

• Anay A says:

I sell my items through online consignments. I list the price and the shop takes 20% of the sales. I could ship to them and have them do it but they take a higher percentage. No one trusts me on eBay!! I went to an in-store consignment store before with about 10 pairs of brand new pairs of shoes and they offered me $8… FOR ALL! I said I rather give them away than sell for 8 measly dollars! They made me so mad lol

• Carol says:

Hi, I love the pink bag with the large bow. Do you sell it!?