The Usual.

ASOS quilted floral skirt

This outfit is from last Saturday, and consists of, wait for it, a 50s-style skirt and, OMG, it’s a bardot-neck top! The Usual, in other words.

Now, obviously there’s absolutely nothing I can say about this outfit that I haven’t already said about all of the other, near-identical, versions of it I’ve worn in the past, so aside from noting that my skirt is only hiked up like that because I’d been sitting in the car, and not because of some strange deformity in either me or the skirt, I thought I’d use this post to give you a quick update on some of the other things I’ve mentioned recently, and then forgotten all about. Because I know you care.

So! In no particular order…

The Mysterious Thing That Was In The Garden

… is still mysterious. What it is NOT, however, is a candle-holder, as previously advertised. I don’t actually know WHY we thought it was a candle-holder, actually. Well, I mean, I know why I thought it was a candle-holder: I thought it because Terry told me that’s what it was, and my feeble brain didn’t bother to question that “fact”. Why did TERRY think it was a candle-holder? No idea. It isn’t, though: or not unless you happen to have a very, very thin candle, anyway. So we reckon it’s just an ornament of some kind: upon closer inspection, the angel/cherub thing appears to be a cupid, so I don’t know, maybe some kind of Valentine’s gift? Who knows. As you can probably tell from this, we’ve done absolutely nothing to try and find out more about The Mysterious Thing: everyone we’ve shown it to has shared our opinion that it is neither old nor valuable, so, well, it’s still sitting on the kitchen window, probably casting some kind of evil spell over the street. With that said, we’re all still alive, so at least it hasn’t killed us in our sleep. Unless, of course, it HAS killed us in our sleep, and it’s actually The Mysterious Thing writing this post, and just pretending to be me. That photo was taken over a week ago, after all… ANYTHING could have happened in that time.  < insert evil laugh here >

Oh, and so far the leading theory is Sue’s one, in which soil is brought in from elsewhere by the builders, and cupid just so happens to be in it. We think this is the most likely explanation, although it obviously doesn’t preclude the cherub being possessed, so it still could be writing this.

The Consignment Store

… is still, er, consigning. Or as far as I know, anyway. I had to drive past it last weekend, though (Actually, no I didn’t: I was driven past it, against my will…) and sure enough, there was my skirt in the window. Seriously, it was all I could do not to shout, “STOP THE CAR!” and then run in and buy it back off them. It’s a good thing the store was closed at the time. Once I’d gotten over the horror of seeing MY CLOTHES hanging up in someone’s window, however, all I could think was, “WHY HAS NO ONE BOUGHT MY SKIRT?” What’s wrong with it? What’s wrong with ME? Are MY clothes not  good enough, huh? HUH?

My Mad Sewing Skillz

…. turned out to be much over-rated. I know, none of us could’ve seen THAT one coming, could we? The skirt I initially altered is still going strong, but I’m afraid subsequent projects have been much less successful, and, in fact, are waiting to be un-picked and then put back together again by my mum. Just like that time in Home Ec! My mum’s going to try to show me where I’m going wrong this time, so I can try to improve, and, in time, become the finest needlewoman in the North, but honestly, I’m bored just writing about it, so it looks like my career as a seamstress is over before it even began. Shocker, I know.

With that said, I DID take up a pair of trousers last night, and the result would only look a bit rough to someone who was approximately the height of my ankles, so there’s still hope. People will praise my “dainty hand” yet!

Aaand, I think that’s you up to date on the exciting happenings chez moi. Can you tell nothing much happened this week?

[Wearing: ASOS skirt  (available in regular length here) // H&M top // Studio TMLS shoes c/o Sarenza // Marc by Marc Jacobs handbag*]

• char says:

Oh, you are such a bad influence on me / my wardrobe, i’ve had this skirt bookmarked for a week or so, and having now seen it on you, I DEFINITELY need it. So so pretty, and maybe it will have magical qualities which will make me look halfway as good as you in it.. Hmm, no. It’s unlikely to happen, I know.

Oh now, we’ll have none of that talk – I think it’d look lovely on you: especially if you don’t let it ride up your waist, like I did :) I’d had it on my ASOS wish list for a while, too: I’m glad I finally bought it, because it’s nice and thick, so I think I’ll be able to wear it in the winter, too, with tights!

• Love your outfit. That skirt is beautiful. I thought the mysterious thing was a candle holder too because what else would the hole thing be for? Someone’s sole marble collection?

• Beautiful, floaty and feminine skirt :o) Xx

Makeup by Candlelight

• Porcelina says:

Beautiful skirt, I think I’ve seen this on another blogger in a peachy pinky colour.

Thanks to you, I have started overhauling my actual wardrobe (not just the clothes in it) and I bought stacks of lovely velour coated hangers ready to get everything lined up and lovely, and in some kind of order, and I promise to clear out all the junk from the bottom too and clean away the dust bunnies!!

P x

Oh yes, I think it comes in coral, too!

Good luck with the wardrobe overhaul: mine is still very much a work in progress, but I had another clear-out at the weekend, and feel like I can breathe a bit easier because of it. I REALLY need to order some more hangers, but I keep putting them off in favour of MOAR clothes instead!

• Annette says:

This is why I love your blog, Amber, because of your “usual” style which is unique and beautiful!

Annette | Lady of Style

Aww, thanks, Annette! I actually wasn’t going to bother posting this one because it was so similar to everything else I wear (hence holding onto it for a week!) but I figured this is supposed to be a diary of sorts, and that IS how I dress most of the time, so hey!

• Amber, you flatter me so…perhaps the leading theory, but too bad it’s oh-so-borrring. Much more interesting, is the update on the consignment episode, {yes, your posts are mentally catalogued as episodes, just like my favourite TV show, Friends!} Every so often, I take things into a local consignment store that I stalk…only to find nineteen out of twenty items not suitable…it’s all a tad embarrassing, and then when I see the single item worthy of their store on display, I get a little puffed up with ownership pride. It’s all a little weird feeling to be honest, and I find it so much easier to just send things off to Goodwill.

Thanks so much for the shout-out!

You’re welcome :) As for the clothes, I’ve actually just packed a bunch of stuff off to a local company which bulk-buy used clothing… they pay almost nothing, but they did come out to collect the stuff, so I’m thinking it’s probably worth it to avoid the hassle!

• The “usual” is why I love your blog amber, you have such a defined sense of personal style rather than hopping on every trend bandwagon going. As much as I enjoy reading blogs who explore the trends I wouldn’t touch with a barge pole (harem pants??) it’s so refreshing to have the odd blog like yours in my bloglovin. Just call me a fan girl :)

• Stacy says:

Another amazing outfit! Shame I have been just spent out on dresses… (Found on the site as your birthday dress :D)

As the very mysterious thing, it could be a Christmas candle holder, here in Holland you do het very thin candles (maybe about the width of a crayola crayon) to burn around Christmas time. At least I’ve only seen them lit at that time of year.

It’s actually even smaller than that – I’ve never seen a candle small enough to fit inside the hole, but I guess it could maybe hold a stick of incense or something: no idea!

• Tim says:

There’s nothing wrong with knowing what you look fabulous in and sticking to it!

• Rachael says:

I love your classic style! Absolutely love it. It’s so 50’s glamorous, when people knew how to dress.
    I’m rather short (5ft 3 and 3/4) the 3/4 of an inch makes all the difference and I always think these type of skirts and their length won’t suit me….how tall are you if you don’t mind me asking?
    X x

• Veronica says:

I really like this skirt and the bardot top with it, I usually wear my Bardot tops with pencil skirts but I will have to try it with a 50’s skirt, *off to Asos website*

• Charlotte says:

I literally just bought this skirt like yesterday!